[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Fantasy Project: You Get To Produce Her New CD

So if you could produce a new CD for Diana, what would you have Diana record? I’d love a Stevie Wonder songbook [[Ms. Ross has always done spectacular renditions of Wonder songs). I’d also love a small-combo, up-tempo jazz disc with songs in the tempo of “There’s A Small Hotel” and “Had You Been Around”; Diana has a great, light “swing” to her voice.

Thoughts?

I want her to do the Bacharach song book. I'd have her do many of Dionne's classics and their collaborations in the 80s, as well as tracks from others: Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head, Arthur's Theme, etc.

I think the Stevie idea is spot on...a match made in heaven..i wish he had produced a whole album for her at Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I think the Stevie idea is spot on...a match made in heaven..i wish he had produced a whole album for her at Motown.
    I wish that also, mowsville! I wonder if there was any in-Motown movement at the time about Diana and Stevie working together? I'd love to hear Diana singing "Blame It On The Sun" - and how about a rocking Diana versio of "As"remixed for the clubs?

RobertZ...Diana did cover "blame it on the sun" on her "force behind the power" album and Stevie wrote and produced the title track...and im sure I read somewhere that they did cut some tracks in the 70s that remain unreleased.

My dream scenario would be Raphael Saadiq would produce a retro-Motown-soul album on Ross [[similar to his own The Way I see it), including some songs in that style written by Alicia Keys. Low key, old school... that would be nice. Well, we are allowed to dream ;-).

Great thread! My dream has always been to hear La Ross tackle the Ellington songbook in a sustained way. The only attempt [[recording/TV or otherwise) I can think of is Blue's "Solitude."

I also like to see her sing the Stevie Wonder songbook. She interprets his songs so beautifully. Speaking of Stevie, I saw his SITKOL concert Saturday night in Atlanta and would love to see in an intimate setting, Diana doing the Baby It's Me album in concert. What a beautiful dream!!

I think the Raphael Saadiq idea is a great one too.

I'd like a Smokey Robinson produced album with a duet or two thrown in for good measure.

However, if it is to be a Stevie Wonder album then I'd love to hear Diana sing You And I from the Talking Book album.

Great ideas! I had also considered a Smokey songbook; "You and I" from TB would be epic; Ellington would fit into the jazz idiom - and the Saadiq idea is excellent! I love him and did not even think to that!

RossHolloway Guest
    If I could produce an album, I'd take her back to Detroit to record. I'd gather up some talented local Detroit jazz musicians, have Diana revisit some classic Detroit recordings: Band of Gold, Up the Latter to the Roof, Stoned Love and some other Motown classics, but updated.

I'd love to see her team up with Jimmy Webb. I can hear her singing "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress," "Someone Is Standing Outside" and "Saturday Suit."

RossHolloway, you hit the nail on the head with your comment. I have always thought that Diana could tackle some of her old Supremes hits and other Motown classic songs, with brand new updated arrangements, from a point of view of looking back wistfully at those youthful lyrics, but with the wisdom of age adding a new perspective.

My thought is is NO WAY derogatory to Miss Ross.

I have thought for some time now that she has made a decision to no longer record. I truly believe that she is a woman of strong beliefs and she feels that part of her career is in the past. Obviously, performing live is still in her wheelhouse. IF she really wanted to record, with all of the publicity she has a received during the past 2-3 years on tour, then I feel she WOULD have.

Lide is a series of stages and I think that she feels that stage has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post

I have thought for some time now that she has made a decision to no longer record. I truly believe that she is a woman of strong beliefs and she feels that part of her career is in the past. Obviously, performing live is still in her wheelhouse. IF she really wanted to record, with all of the publicity she has a received during the past 2-3 years on tour, then I feel she WOULD have.

Well, not so fast...if Nile Rodgers' tweets are any indication, methinks an imminent comeback may be possible. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'd love to see her team up with Jimmy Webb. I can hear her singing "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress," "Someone Is Standing Outside" and "Saturday Suit."
    Great idea! And with Linda Ronstadt retired from singing Webb has the time and perhaps some new / recorded songs.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post

She wants to record again. She said so on one of the entertainment shows. She said she wants Pharrell to produce something for her. Here is the video.

Last edited by skooldem1; 11-25-2014 at 02:01 PM.

I really think don't think she was being to serious when she made that comment.
    Diana still looks fabulous, and every bit the star. Having said that she is now 70 which is old for any singer. Her voice has changed tremendously in the last ten years and now sounds a very different instrument from the one that sang on Every Day Is A New Day. I really did not think her voice sounded that great when singing for Obama in 2012 and find that even her speaking voice reflects that change. All of this is to be expected.
    She will Of course never lose that incredible charisma that she was blessed with and is still an entertaining live performer. I really think that if she were going to record a new complete album, she would indeed have done it by now.