[REMOVE ADS]

Nikki Giovanni and Bill Cosby

I decided to delete this post as it may have been interpreted as too controversial.
    Last edited by RobertZ; 11-21-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Controversial

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I decided to delete this post as it may have been interpreted as too controversial.
    OK, then, I will:
    http://time.com/3599976/nikki-giovanni-bill-cosby/

Last edited by soulster; 11-21-2014 at 05:42 PM.

I'm split on that. I can see her point of view but I also agree with a lot of what he's said regarding how 'representing' limits your capacity to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm split on that. I can see her point of view but I also agree with a lot of what he's said regarding how 'representing' limits your capacity to succeed.
    Same here Jerry. Some of what Bill Cosby has said is right on.

Two extreme opinions: Giovanni and Cosby. I fall somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Two extreme opinions: Giovanni and Cosby. I fall somewhere in the middle.
    As do most reasonable people, I'd suspect.

Cosby said some good points but he was really unbearable though. Plus he's a fake educator anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    As do most reasonable people, I'd suspect.
    I probably fall in closer with Cosby's opinion of kids pulling their pants up, improving their diction, and how one's appearance makes a difference. It isn't fair, but that's how the world is. However, Giovanni is right about being so harsh on the youth who desire to express themselves, and that people have a right to have a unique culture. One can do both, as long as they realize that there's a time and place for everything.

But, there's nothing wrong if you can sneak a peek at a hot woman's butt crack when she bends over.

Lol I'm sure we've all done that.

What Bill was right about, in a sense, was that, yes, sometimes it's our own personal responsibility to handle how we raise our youth and such, but Nikki was right that we can't be harsh on the youth.

That said, I'm kinda more on the side of Nikki. Bill was too alienating at the end.

After seeing this for the first time, I am squarely in Nikki Giovanni's corner. I always thought that Bill was full of shit whenever he tried to critique anyone's moral behavior. Now Bill's chickens are coming home to roost. Long live Nikki Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    After seeing this for the first time, I am squarely in Nikki Giovanni's corner. I always thought that Bill was full of shit whenever he tried to critique anyone's moral behavior. Now Bill's chickens are coming home to roost. Long live Nikki Giovanni.
    He really got down on Eddie Murphy back in the 80s, but i'll bet Murphy didn't drug and rape young actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    He really got down on Eddie Murphy back in the 80s, but i'll bet Murphy didn't drug and rape young actresses.
    I have never been into Cosby's particular comedic stroke. I've always been a Richard Pryor man. I know that does represent part of my overall opinion of Cosby.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    I have never been into Cosby's particular comedic stroke. I've always been a Richard Pryor man. I know that does represent part of my overall opinion of Cosby.
    I thought Cosby was sort of funny in the early 60s, but lost his humor once he went into television. His routines about driving in San Francisco, Kindergarten, and Noah and the Ark were all hilarious classics, but not much after that.

I'm also more of a Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, and Eddie Murphy fan.

Kids today know more than we did due to exposure to social media, reality shows etc. The cat is out of the bag. I thought Bill was just telling it like it is and not being harsh.

In terms of 'clean' comedians, Cosby's always been one of my faves...when he tried to do anything remotely blue, it wasn't anything special.

Best,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Kids today know more than we did due to exposure to social media, reality shows etc. The cat is out of the bag. I thought Bill was just telling it like it is and not being harsh.
    I think that now is the time for Cosby to drop the stones and retreat back to that glass house.

My favorite movie is 'Let's Do It Again'. I also enjoyed 'Uptown Saturday Night' much more than most people that I know. The Bill Cosby in those movies would shock the pee out of Dr. Huxatable fans and I think they represent his best work by far.