[REMOVE ADS]

Mighty Clouds of Joy Song Question

I saw them in concert along with Johnny Taylor and Syl Johnson back the late 60's or early 70's. I remember a particular song that they sang that evening and sure enough when I went to You Tube and clicked on their appearance on Soul Train, Wolla! I picked the right song on the first try [[for a change). My question is what is the title of the song. The poster doesn't give a title and despite what this says at All Music: " the Mighty Clouds became the first gospel act ever to appear on television's Soul Train, where they performed their disco smash "Mighty High" this is not that song. They probably sang more than one song on Soul Train though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DW5y82B0wg

Thanks for any help.

I think the song is called MIGHTY CLOUD OF JOY, from their IT'S TIME album.

It certainly is MCOJ from their IT LP.

Great LP released in 1974 and recorded at Philly's Sigma Sound Studios. Two other songs from that album that stand out were "Time" [[also recorded by Jackie Moore) and "Everything's Going Up."

Thanks Reese and NPLM. I can see how it can be confusing. I didn't know anything about them back when I saw that concert. They have a rich history.

Hi!

The history of this great group goes back to the 50s.
    My one-year-old interview with their lead Singer, Joe Ligon, can be found at
    http://www.soulexpress.net/deep3_2013.htm#joeligon

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thanks Heikki, I'm off to listen to it. Make that read it.
    Last edited by mr_june; 11-21-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Joe Ligon is a remarkable singer. I'm eager to read your interview.

Another great album by Mighty Clouds Of Joy recorded in Philly [[with Harris - Baker - Young, Larry Washington, etc.) was "Kickin'". This and the next [[where the quintet was reduced to a quartet), "Truth Is The Power" are my two favorite albums by MCOJ.

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Another great album by Mighty Clouds Of Joy recorded in Philly [[with Harris - Baker - Young, Larry Washington, etc.) was "Kickin'". This and the next [[where the quintet was reduced to a quartet), "Truth Is The Power" are my two favorite albums by MCOJ.
    Hey Manny. I'm going to check those albums out asap.

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year

Thanx for sharing. Great clip and I've never heard the song before. You can also check out MCOJ in the movie "GOSPEL". It's a more traditional performance yet memorable one.

Hi again,

hey, mr_june, very happy Christmas & new year to you and to all the Soulful detroit Family.

If my previous post is not totally clear, "Kickin'"[[ABC, 1976) was recorded in Philly and produced like the previous [["It's Time") by Dave Crawford, but the next, "Truth Is The Power" [[ABC, 1977) was produced by Frank Wilson and the session musicians are different people [[I recall Soul Survivor's Neil Larsen at the keyboards).

A great embrace to you' all and long live to the legendary Mighty Clouds Of Joy