[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baby It's Me: the New Release

My question below is a serious one, not intended to stir up controversy.

Is the sound quality on the first ten tracks [[the original album) of the "Baby It's Me" new digital download significantly any better than the sound quality on the recently released Japanese version of this CD?

While I applaud Andy, George, and Kevin [[by the way, where's Harry these days?), some of us have very little interest in 2014 "mixes." Personally, I see them merely as a method for "expanding" a release for sales purposes. It is the original music that we were first attracted to and still love. Though 2014 mixes may be week executed, they are not the originals. I understand that some fans enjoy multiple versions with slightly different and subtle vocal differences, etc.

I do value the three unreleased tracks, of course.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-17-2014 at 11:49 AM.

As I've said before, don't bother with iTunes, Amazon, or 7-digital. Get the lossless downloads.

Soulster, I've been following this thread because I was anxiously awaiting this release, as has everybody else.
    Could you please provide the link to the lossless downloads again? And will this have every single track of the Expanded Edition that will be available on iTunes, Amazon, etc? Thank you.
    [[EDIT) I just re-read your post, you are saying IF "Baby It's Me" becomes available on this hi-res sites like HDTracks. It's not even a certainty that BIM will.
    It's sad to me for Andy, George, et. al., that Universal is doing this as they work so hard on these projects -- for the fans -- and then they wind up disappointing the fans at the same time.
    Last edited by zani57; 11-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Are there any places to actually get lossless quality downloads for these Expanded Editions? Funny Girl for example? I just spent £12.99 on BIM on iTunes, expensive compared to the US, but I would buy it again lossless.

I'm not talking about lossless downloads of the original albums, I'm talking about the latest editions with the bonus material.

Actually, I would like to see Universal UK step up to the plate and actually press this. They complained about imports hurting UK sales, which stopped Hip-o shipping here, so now let's see if they can be bothered to actually do the right thing since they must accept some partial responsibility for these re-issues selling less copies in the US, where they were being made.
    Last edited by alanbill1074; 11-17-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: addition

No physical CD = No sale!

Well, if "Baby It's Me" won't get a Hip-o physical release, then I would not hold out for a physical release of "Ross '78". However, some good news, coming December 9th and December 16th it seems as if all of Ross' Motown output will be coming in physical form as imports.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    Are there any places to actually get lossless quality downloads for these Expanded Editions? Funny Girl for example? I just spent £12.99 on BIM on iTunes, expensive compared to the US, but I would buy it again lossless. .
    Qobuz has many of the old Hip-O expanded editions available as lossless downloads - but you probably already have all or most of these on physical cds [[as I do). I did buy the Rare Earth set "Fill Your Head" from them, that was a title I missed on release.

Some download-only expanded editions are available from Qobuz in cd-quality audio, for example the Rick James Complete Motown Albums set. I bought that.

Qobuz also offers lossless downloads of some of the albums that recently made their digital debut, such as Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "Pocketful of Miracles" and "One Dozen Roses", Mary Wells "Live on Stage", and a couple of of Smokey Robinson solo albums. I bought all of these.

But Qobuz does not have "Funny Girl." As far as I see, it's only available from iTunes in the UK [[which I find odd, because I think it is available from Amazon in the US). I recently emailed Qobuz about this title and they responded that they will offer it if Universal makes it available to them. Why doesn't Universal do this? So I haven't bought "Funny Girl" yet, I'm still hoping that it will show up on Qobuz or on some other site that offers lossless downloads.

"Baby It's Me" was made available on Qobuz last week, but it is NOT the expanded edition, it's the 10-track original LP. I can't tell you if it's the old cd master or the new remaster - I'm not going to buy this without the bonus tracks anyway, I have the Japanese cd. If Universal has made some arrangement that the expanded edition will be offered exclusively on iTunes, I hope they will tell us.

And how about those download-only Tata Vega releases that were promoted in the forum? Or the Mandre albums? It's not only Qobuz that doesn't have them, the last time I checked no one in the UK, not even iTunes, offered them. Sure, there are still ways to get these if you're willing to make an effort, but I'm not going to do that for these titles.

I have nothing against Universal making some titles available as download only, but I don't understand their sales and marketing strategy at all.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-17-2014 at 06:13 PM.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Thanks for the info. I hope they do appear lossless. If this is the way of things then I don't see the harm in making these files available CD quality for download. There is absolutely no reason to restrict to MP3.

well I have waited long enough for this release and now im being told I can only download it...well there is another option...NOT to download it and that's what I will be doing.

These two quotes from above posts really say it all clearly!

1. "It's sad to me for Andy, George, et. al., that Universal is doing this as they work so hard on these projects -- for the fans -- and then they wind up disappointing the fans at the same time."

2. "I have nothing against Universal making some titles available as download only, but I don't understand their sales and marketing strategy at all."

Note: I am always a bit uncomfortable for Andy and George when they post online and well as go on the radio show touting these releases to the very fans who are disappointed in the lack of physical releases of both the music and booklet. It must be hard for them, actually. After all, they are employees. I don't recall Harry's presence [[?).

I have bought all of Diana's expanded/deluxe albums to date and feel very disappointed that BIM and presumably the rest of her Motown albums will not be released in a physical format.

Luckily Marvin's albums received the appropriate treatment before this change of policy occurred.

Very disappointed!!!

I don't see how people can be upset when there hasn't been any confirmation that this will be a digital release only.

I don't get it either....all Dianas RCA expanded editions out in one go from a company with a lot less clout than Universal..we wait how any years for this and the we are told download only....I wish they would hand ALL her catalogue over to a company that actually cares about the fans....absolutely disappointed.

yes it's nice to physically hold the expanded editions and booklets. but i'll certainly take digital releases as opposed to nothing at all.

in regards to the initial question regarding sound quality, i have the cd from the 90s and just downloaded the expanded set on iTunes today. the sound is incredible. far superior to the older cd. it sort of reminds me of when you had an older lp and then bought the same lp but new. just fresher, cleaner. you hear more of the instrumentation. everything just sounds sharper

plus there are the unreleased tracks

as for the 2014 mixes, i've only just started to listen to them on this set so haven't studied them or gone through them all. overall they're quite faithful to the original tracks except they're un-muting instruments and passages that were removed from the originals. also they're using this as an opportunity to release her alt vocals. the ones i've listened to are not quite like the I Hear a Symphony 2014 or Touch me In The Morning remix where it quite a different track. i personally liked those but understand that they're new, completely reinterpreted songs.

i highly recommend all of the fans buy this. quite bitching about the format and enjoy the music. i don't want to miss out on other potential releases of albums because there's not enough interest now that they're not doing cds.

Although I would also prefer BIM to be released on CD as well, I have also downloaded the expanded edition on iTunes, and I love it. The sound is very clear and it is like discovering the album all over again. The 2014 mixes are a great addition [[and I doubt they are just included to encourage sales -- there is too much labor of love in them by Andy and George and of course mixer Kevin Reeves, I'm sure it would be much cheaper for Universal not to include these wonderful new mixes). Although in most cases I do prefer the original mixes, it is wonderful to hear the alternate vocals and alternate instrumentations [[all taken from the original tapes), which does give an insight in the recording process and the choices producers have made. In some cases, I actually prefer the new mix, as for example You're Good My Child on Diana Ross 1976. The original is good, but the new mix is just amazing, making the song much stronger. The new mix of The Same Love That Made Me Laugh is just as good, perhaps a bit better, than the original one. I hope with many that the physical release will come, but in the meantime, I hope people will treat themselves on this wonderful [[digital) release.

I also would have preferred a physical release but I will take this one and any other digital release that would not be available otherwise.
    Sounds great! I will crank it later when I get home from work.
    Great job all around.

i've actually preferred some of the new 2014 mixes to the originals too! definitely like the Funny Girl tracks with only DMC on them. also like the Symphony mix, although i don't like Diana's oooo's during the bridge. i know they're original but not to my liking. but i love M and F higher in the mix.

it is very interesting to hear the additional instruments on Baby It's Me tracks. makes for interesting "what ifs." for instance, i like the bigger, fuller sound with the added instruments on I'm Getting Ready for Love. have always liked that track but the 2014 mix is fuller, a bit more powerful. might have made it a bit less pop back in the day.

Lulu Guest
    I appreciate the unreleased tracks. I finally got around to stocking up on the RCA releases and it was a big **sigh** because I had most, if not all of the added tracks on vinyl already.

i do like Baby's It's Me as an album. great to listen to 30+ years later. however in 1977 i don't know if it was "exciting" enough. almost like as if it was a year or two too late. by 77 Saturday Night Fever was hitting hard and disco was not only becoming more main stream but it's sound was also evolving into bigger, more aggressive tracks. Staying Alive and the Sat Night came out in Nov 77. Baby's it me was Sept 77. although it appears the promotional efforts and campaign by motown were a bit haphazard since they couldn't figure out what single to release and it took them a month to release something, maybe the album was just a bit too lightweight. Your Love Is So Good For Me is a good song. but compared to Stayin Alive, If I Can't Have You, Beethoven's 5th, etc it kind of pales. IMO

Lulu Guest
    Too bad Raquel's "covers" didn't make the release!

Lulu Guest
    And............

I just purchased the "Baby It's Me" album from iTunes and am digging it big time. However, for some reason, I am unable to open the booklet. Any ideas or tips to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I just purchased the "Baby It's Me" album from iTunes and am digging it big time. However, for some reason, I am unable to open the booklet. Any ideas or tips to share?
    Hi Mark,

You probably should check that your Adobe reader is up to date.

The albums above Baby It's Me the two weeks it peaked at #18

Linda Ronstadt - Simple Dreams
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Steely Dan - Aja
    Commodores - Live
    Rod Stewart - Footloose & Fancy Free
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors
    Kansas - Point Of No Return
    Debby Boone - You Light Up My Life
    Rose Royce - In Full Bloom
    Steve Martin - Lets Get Small
    Santana - Moonflower
    ELO - Out Of the Blue
    Barry White - Songs For Someone You Love
    Crystal Gayle - We Must Believe in Magic
    Kiss - Alive II
    Foreigner - Foreigner
    Elvis Presley - Elvis In Concert
    Earth Wind & Fire - All N All
    Queen - News Of The World
    Bob Welch - News Of The World

Bonus: The albums that surged ahead of Baby in the Xmas rush the week it fell from its peak to #26

Boz Scaggs - Down Two Then Left
    Olivia Newton John - Greatest Hits
    Billy Joel - The Stranger
    Neil Diamond - I'm Glad Your Here With Me Tonight
    Shaun Cassidy - Born Late
    Elton John - Greatest Hits Volume Two
    Styx - Grand Illusion
    Randy Newman - Little Criminals
    Beatles - Love Songs

Definetely shows how competitive the LP market was that holiday season.

I think the album when played next to most of this list sounds just as contemporary for the times as the competition. I'd say the most dated record on that list for the time was that Debby Boone album. It sounds like a quickie cash in to capitalize on how huge the title cut was. Had the label or Mike Curb found Debby better material for it she might have become more than a one hit pop wonder.

I think the lack of an immediate single was a factor in how this got buried in the onslaught of big releases for that Holiday. It certainly sold better than Richard Perry's other big production that Xmas, Leo Sayer's "Thunder In My Heart," another surprising sales disappointment. Pop justice was served a few years back though when Leo's tune got remixed for the clubs and went to number one in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    It's sad to me for Andy, George, et. al., that Universal is doing this as they work so hard on these projects -- for the fans -- and then they wind up disappointing the fans at the same time.
    Well, Andy, George, and Harry do not make the calls on what format something is released in, or what will be sold where. All they do is prepare the masters.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Some download-only expanded editions are available from Qobuz in cd-quality audio, for example the Rick James Complete Motown Albums set. I bought that.

Qobuz also offers lossless downloads of some of the albums that recently made their digital debut, such as Smokey Robinson & The Miracles "Pocketful of Miracles" and "One Dozen Roses", Mary Wells "Live on Stage", and a couple of of Smokey Robinson solo albums. I bought all of these.

But Qobuz does not have "Funny Girl." As far as I see, it's only available from iTunes in the UK [[which I find odd, because I think it is available from Amazon in the US). I recently emailed Qobuz about this title and they responded that they will offer it if Universal makes it available to them. Why doesn't Universal do this? So I haven't bought "Funny Girl" yet, I'm still hoping that it will show up on Qobuz or on some other site that offers lossless downloads.
    Again, Pono will make these same files available very soon for the U.S. market.

I have nothing against Universal making some titles available as download only, but I don't understand their sales and marketing strategy at all.
    For the U.S., it's about sales potential. CD does much better in Japan and in probably the U.K.. The U.S. has always been different.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-18-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I don't get it either....all Dianas RCA expanded editions out in one go from a company with a lot less clout than Universal..we wait how any years for this and the we are told download only....I wish they would hand ALL her catalogue over to a company that actually cares about the fans....absolutely disappointed.
    Well, remember that Ross Records' catalog is controlled by Sony/BMG. FunkyTownGrooves is a reissue arm of Sony/BMG, if you haven't noticed. However, most of her her RCA catalog, like many of Sony/BMG's catalog, is not yet available as downloads.

Thank you for the suggestion, Glenpwood!

Diana Ross & The Supremes: Expanded Editions On Facebook:
    Andy Skurow posted:
    This is exclusively MFiT [[mastered for iTunes) and it will be available for download at Amazon in a few weeks. Most of the record companies have stopped CD production for catalog releases, so this is not specific to Diana Ross. We would also like to continue and complete the series physically. We are in talks with some third party labels to possibly print CDs [[including this and Funny Girl) in the near future. George Solomon will discuss it on Nightflight tomorrow [[Tuesday) on www. WOMR.org at 9:15 PM EST.

In case Andy or someone at Universal is following this, I have a request regarding your download-only releases: Could you please make them available from websites that offer lossless downloads [[ie cd-quality audio, 44.1 kHz / 16 bit)? That includes Qobuz in Europe and Pono in the US.

Many are available from Qobuz, and I've bought them, but "Funny Girl" is not [[in the UK, I see it only on iTunes). Qobuz seemed to imply in their response to my query that this title has not been made available to them. I also hope they will get the EXPANDED "Baby It's Me" soon.

It's also a shame that some of your download-only titles are not, to my knowledge, available at all in the UK. Examples are Tata Vega's "Try My Love" and "Givin' All My Love", and the Mandre releases as well.

I think the grieving process over the lack of physical expanded editions can be summed up by Miss Ross herself nicely yet humorously....
    Name:  eXPANDED.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  22.3 KB
    Name:  FEEL AFTER.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  69.6 KB

I, too, am very disappointed. Although I appreciate the fact that a lot of work has been put into this release I cannot comprehend that Universal could not press a few thousand copies to satisfy the demand that is definitely out there. Most reissue labels press that small number of cd's or even less. Funkytowngrooves did a fantastic job releasing expanded editions of the RCA albums on cd only and they are selling well.

Look at Japan: Universal and Warner [[for the post Motown albums) will be releasing ALL of Diana Ross' albums on cd this and next month to commemorate her upcoming Japanese tour. Each cd will get a few thousand copies pressed at the most and is selling for about $10. The labels aren't in it for charity, so they will make a profit.

I'm sure Universal Japan would be happy to release an expanded Baby It's Me, so why doesn't the US branch just licence the finished product to Japan or the UK or the Netherlands, countries that have released a lot of Diana Ross product in the past.

If you look at the weekly listings of catalog releases on sites like www.pauseandplay.com , you will see that a lot of catalog ttles are still being released on cd. And we're not talking about some obscure act here, this is one of the world's most iconic and succesful female singers ever.

I can understand how an album like "At The Copa" or "Funny Girl" would have a limited appeal, but "Baby It's Me" is one of the most critically acclaimed albums Diana Ross has ever recorded and is an albums fans have been wanting to see released on a remastered cd for years.
    Last edited by whitesoxx; 11-18-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Well said whitesoxx!

Would someone please burn a cd for these "I gotta have a cd version or my collection is not complete" folk? We're in the digital age, people. Apparently it's not the music you want, but something to put on a shelf [[still in its wrapper) to collect dust. Enjoy the present moment, and don't worry that your surviving relatives are not going to inherit a "complete" collection that you, yourself, didn't enjoy.

I am very thankful and appreciative of any of the formats which are being provided [[in my opinion) with lots of thought and care. I am not going to whine and kick my feet in the air that I didn't get a cd.

By the way, although I still have my original lp and another cd, I am enjoying my downloaded version of "Baby It's Me: The Expanded Edition." I just dread that I will not be able to show off a new cd at my next dinner party. What will people think???

Opening a jewel box, pulling out a CD, putting it in a slot, and pushing play is soooo 80s and 90s! Pushing a button on a remote that controls a server in another room through a DA, and getting that same CD sound, or better, is a much more attractive option. Scroll through your entire collection, and playing anything in it in mere seconds without ever having to get off your sofa is great.

Y'all can have your 74-minute CDs while you can still find 'em, but the future is here! Embrace it!

I don’t understand the animosity and the insults aimed at those of us who still like our music on high-quality CD’s with graphics, photos, and track-by-track annotation.

First of all, CD’s ARE digital. They drummed that into us back in the 1980's when CD’s were first introduced. They were either AAD [[Analog Recordings remastered digitally which includes Motown recordings); ADD [[for which I don’t recall), or DDD [[all digital recordings). Classic Motown released in download format is no more "digital" than the analog CD reissues are.

Now that Universal is forcing us to settle for download-only reissues, a whole new problem has cropped up. After listening to the 20-or-so Motown downloads that I hired my neighbor to download and burn to CD on my PC for me a few weeks ago, three of them have skips. I don’t think it’s the fault of the download; I’m pretty sure it’s the defective blank TDK CD’s that I’ve had problems with in the past. This means that I will now have to hire my neighbor to re-burn them to CD for me, and then I’ll have to take the time to play each one back over again – note-for-note – until I’m able to achieve a perfect copy without skips. This is very frustrating and time-consuming, not to mention total bullcrap – especially in this day and age! I shouldn't have to be going through this. To my knowledge, CD’s still have the potential for offering the best sound quality possible if given the proper remastering process.

What really burns my butt is the fact that many of us have supported Motown faithfully and heavily for 50+ years, yet we seem to have lost all credibility and deserved consideration. Instead, Universal has chosen to release our Classic Motown music in download format only, in order to satisfy the demand of today’s 15-year-olds who are perfectly happy to be on the go while enjoying a pocket-full of their cheap, tinny-sounding music playing through their little portable transistor-radio-quality speakers/earbuds while not giving a rat’s ass about photos nor learning all that they can about Motown recording sessions. They probably aren’t even buying classic Motown.

I have no problem in getting up off my butt long enough to take a CD out of its jewel box, popping it in my portable CD player with studio-monitor headphones, and pushing "Play" as I enjoy top-notch sound while perusing the enclosed booklet with its photos, graphics, and informative track-by-track annotation. Simply pushing a download "play" button from a remote control for a jukebox-type cueing system located somewhere off in another room with nothing to look at and learn from seems mighty cold, impersonal, and sterile to me. No thanks! Save the "future"-istic stuff for The Flintstones! I like some soul with my music without having to rely upon a computer.

Totally disappointed here that Diana’s "Baby It’s Me" [[Expanded) is available in download format only. The teenagers will be thrilled, though, I’m sure!

NOTE: Harry, Andy, and George – I know that this has nothing to do with you guys. You are consistently pumping out high-quality masters/remasters on our favorite music. It’s what "the suits" do with it afterward that concerns us. You guys -- please keep up the good work! We love ya one and all!

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-19-2014 at 04:22 AM.

I also think the criticism of those not liking downloads is quite harsh.

I see at least three reasons why some are unhappy about the format of this release:
    1 - some don't understand how to use digital music files
    2 - some prefer something they can hold in their hands
    3 - some don't like the fact that lossy downloads have inferior sound quality to a cd release [[and lossless downloads are not always available)

I think the biggest gripe seems to be point 2. I don't really care too much about the packaging in most cases, but I can understand that some in this forum do. There are "collectors" who go beyond just having the music. Some buy music that they already have [[be it vinyl or cd) just because the cover artwork, disc label, or something is different. I'm not like that but I wouldn't criticise those who are.

As for downloads vs cds in general, it must hurt downloads somewhat that, usually [[but not in this case), no digital liner notes with basic info about songwriters, performers, etc is included. Also, lossy downloads are often priced more expensively than the physical cds! And another advantage of cds over downloads is that one can [[legally) resell them. [[In the UK, note that you are required to delete your ripped files if you sell your cd!)

I have nothing against downloads, and I've purchased several [[mostly lossless, but even a few lossy ones for "must-have" titles where it was the only choice), but I still buy mostly physical cds and make my own digital [[lossless flac) files. I don't have to take the cds out of the jewel cases to play them.

I haven't bought the "Funny Girl" or "Baby It's Me" expanded editions because of point 3. Now that there are sites [[Qobuz, Pono) which offer lossless downloads, I think that Universal should make these available - including all bonus tracks - on those sites, as they've done with so many other releases. I'm still hoping for that. But if someone at Universal tells me there are no plans to release them in lossless format in the near future, maybe I will buy them from iTunes.

I think that Universal could have turned a profit with a physical release of "Baby It's Me". But I guess that they expect, correctly or not, to sell fewer units but make a bigger profit because their costs will be lower without a physical release.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-19-2014 at 07:25 AM.

One last moan about download from me and that's my lot -

1. As long as downloads are lossy they are not the real deal.

2. If an American company called 'CULTURE FACTORY' can put out mini lp cd editions of 'ROSS' - [[1978), 'Cream Of The Crop' and many other Motown titles specifically for collectors - then why on earth can't Universal? License this stuff to company's who WILL produce cd's.

3. I feel sorry for Andy and the team as, clearly, their hands are tied and they are toeing the corporate directive from the money men, who are saying no to physical cd production. Why else would we be getting a second download only release after so many fans expressed disappointment with Funny Girl?

On a side note - yesterday I bought Culture Factory's edition of 'ROSS", as I now realise we will never see that in physical form from Hip-O.

I'm not convinced that downloads are the future, they're on top now but declining rapidly. Look at the RIAA numbers for the US for the first half of 2014 vs the first half of 2013:

all numbers in millions, units given first and then dollar values:
    cd albums: 56.3 vs 73.7, down 24%; 715.6 vs 884.1, down 19%
    cd singles: very small
    download albums: 54.3 vs 61.3, down 11%; 543.7 vs 630.5, down 14%
    download singles: 643.6 vs 707.0, down 9%; 752.9 vs 842.4, down 11%
    vinyl albums: 6.5 vs 4.6, up 41%; 145.7 vs 102.0, up 43%
    vinyl singles: very small

number of paid streaming subscriptions: 7.8 vs 5.5, up 43%
    total dollar value from digital subscription and streaming: 859.5 vs 673.1, up 28%

http://riaa.com/media/1806D32F-B3DD-...31C0217836.pdf

Apple iTunes Sees Big Drop in Music Sales
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/itune...ear-1414166672

Download sales are falling. Streaming is getting bigger and taking a bigger share, and this will continue. I understand the arguments against it, and I'm not really into it [[yet), but it does have its advantages which is why it's taking off. One has tens of thousands of titles at one's fingertips without having to purchase anything but a subscription, and without having to spend time ripping cds and managing digital files. One can try new music without buying it, and if you only want to listen to a title once or twice it might be a better option than buying. And streaming in cd-quality audio [[44.1 kHz / 16 bit) is now available.

In Sweden [[the home of Spotify),where people are generally more technologically savvy than in the US, streaming accounted for more than 70% of the music industry's revenue in 2013.
    http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/s...in-2013/057417

I see how some teenagers I know "consume" music, and I think this will become more common. They buy a few of their favorite albums, either as downloads or physically, whichever is cheaper [[they know how to rip with iTunes). They buy some of their favorite songs as downloads. But mostly, they stream. Ok, so some artist pulls his music from streaming, so what? If they really like that artist and want that title, they can probably buy it [[the vast majority of streamed titles can be bought as downloads). But they probably won't care, they'll just listen to something else! Which is why only someone huge like Taylor Swift can pull her music from streaming.

Cds may well disappear, though not soon. Downloads are probably here to stay for a long time, but sales have already peaked and are in decline. Streaming may become dominant in the next years, as it already has in Sweden.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-19-2014 at 09:40 AM.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Streaming is like stealing from artists. The revenue is pitiful - about 0.001 per play. It's sad times when people can basically listen to your hard work for free without ever having to pay what it is worth. As a recording artist [[essentially retired because I can't make a reasonable living off it due to tiny royalties and insufficient live work) I've netted virtually nothing for millions of plays of my music on Youtube. Likewise, small revenue from Spotify unless you are a big act. This is the future of music? Yikes. Artists are always the ones people expect to work for free. All those streamers certainly wouldn't fancy doing a couple of days graft for nothing every month. No wonder there's only 3 record labels left who don't want to release CDs.

That said I still want the opportunity to PURCHASE lossless downloads if I can't have the CD. It's an easy option to offer. As for jobucats post, sarcastic and not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I don’t understand the animosity and the insults aimed at those of us who still like our music on high-quality CD’s with graphics, photos, and track-by-track annotation.
    No animosity or ridiculing here. I understand you guys. But, what I don't understand is the resistance to newer technology.

First of all, CD’s ARE digital. They drummed that into us back in the 1980's when CD’s were first introduced. They were either AAD [[Analog Recordings remastered digitally which includes Motown recordings); ADD [[for which I don’t recall), or DDD [[all digital recordings). Classic Motown released in download format is no more "digital" than the analog CD reissues are.

Of course they are! Who said they weren't digital?

Now that Universal is forcing us to settle for download-only reissues, a whole new problem has cropped up. After listening to the 20-or-so Motown downloads that I hired my neighbor to download and burn to CD on my PC for me a few weeks ago, three of them have skips. I don’t think it’s the fault of the download; I’m pretty sure it’s the defective blank TDK CD’s that I’ve had problems with in the past. This means that I will now have to hire my neighbor to re-burn them to CD for me, and then I’ll have to take the time to play each one back over again – note-for-note – until I’m able to achieve a perfect copy without skips. This is very frustrating and time-consuming, not to mention total bullcrap – especially in this day and age! I shouldn't have to be going through this. To my knowledge, CD’s still have the potential for offering the best sound quality possible if given the proper remastering process.
    Well, how come you couldn't have burned your own discs? It's so easy that a five-year-old kid can do it!

The reason many of us quit burning CD-Rs is because they are unreliable. Also, the process isn't perfect. You have to burn the blank at the speed recommended by the manufacturer, and the burner has to be capable of proper burns. The computer itself has to be up to snuff. The computer has to have adequate power, memory, and space. The CD-R must never be exposed to sunlight or excessive heat, and always be stored in jewel boxes. One must never, ever use paper labels or write on the label side with anything but a water-based sharpie, preferably in the areas where do fata was written. These are among the many reasons many of we digital music lovers moved on to hard drives and servers to store our digital music, be they ripped CDs or downloads. Hard drives are MUCH more stable and robust than CD-R. And, if you're worried about a hard drive going belly-up, you just make a couple of copies. So, if one drive dies, you still have two backups!

I agree with you in one area: you don't usually get recording notes and credits, essays, or track info, but you can get album cover graphics embedded into the files.

What really burns my butt is the fact that many of us have supported Motown faithfully and heavily for 50+ years, yet we seem to have lost all credibility and deserved consideration. Instead, Universal has chosen to release our Classic Motown music in download format only, in order to satisfy the demand of today’s 15-year-olds who are perfectly happy to be on the go while enjoying a pocket-full of their cheap, tinny-sounding music playing through their little portable transistor-radio-quality speakers/earbuds while not giving a rat’s ass about photos nor learning all that they can about Motown recording sessions. They probably aren’t even buying classic Motown.
    It's not just teenagers, you know. People middle-aged baby-boomers have been downloading just as much as the younger folks. I get tired of everything being blamed on "the kids". The kids are often less computer literate than their parents.

I am one of those middle-aged boomers that have their computer permanently hooked up to their stereo system. I've had it that way since 1998, and I still enjoy CD quality sound, or studio sound in the form of hi-rez. I will still buy CDs, but I embrace newer technology and can never go back! I have my music on a server and can access it anywhere in the world on demand.

I have no problem in getting up off my butt long enough to take a CD out of its jewel box, popping it in my portable CD player with studio-monitor headphones, and pushing "Play" as I enjoy top-notch sound while perusing the enclosed booklet with its photos, graphics, and informative track-by-track annotation. Simply pushing a download "play" button from a remote control for a jukebox-type cueing system located somewhere off in another room with nothing to look at and learn from seems mighty cold, impersonal, and sterile to me. No thanks! Save the "future"-istic stuff for The Flintstones! I like some soul with my music without having to rely upon a computer.
    You don't need interact with a computer! Just get a D/A stereo component that will connect to the server with wi-fi. You never even have to see a computer component! All you do is scroll through your music library with a remote control, tablet, or even your smartphone. So many people live on nothing but their phones today, anyway. You can let your family or even friends and neighbors have access to your collection.

The only technology that is more backward than the CD is vinyl! You not only have to get up every twenty minutes or so, you have to clean the record and cue the stylus. But, you do get the biggest graphics.

Totally disappointed here that Diana’s "Baby It’s Me" [[Expanded) is available in download format only. The teenagers will be thrilled, though, I’m sure!
    It's not about trying to attract the teenagers. It's about the realities of the marketplace.

When Napster was new and popular, and the record companies were still blindsighted on the new popular way of getting music, I knew more middle-ages adults stealing the music than teenagers. Record labels don't like to print CDs unless they think they can sell at least 500,000 units. It's also cheaper to offer downloads.

[QUOTE=calvin;259421]
    I see at least three reasons why some are unhappy about the format of this release:
    1 - some don't understand how to use digital music files
    You can learn...

2 - some prefer something they can hold in their hands
    The trend is toward having less clutter in their living space, fewer objects to have to deal with. LIve lighter.

3 - some don't like the fact that lossy downloads have inferior sound quality to a cd release [[and lossless downloads are not always available)
    That's why I keep pushing lossless downloads from places like HDTracks and, soon, Pono. You don't have to sacrifice sound quality anymore.

As for downloads vs cds in general, it must hurt downloads somewhat that, usually [[but not in this case), no digital liner notes with basic info about songwriters, performers, etc is included. Also, lossy downloads are often priced more expensively than the physical cds!
    That we don't get adequate notes with downloads is the only real bad aspect of downloads. It can be a hassle to hunt for the artwork [[although I have been having fun with it lately).

And another advantage of cds over downloads is that one can [[legally) resell them. [[In the UK, note that you are required to delete your ripped files if you sell your cd!)
    You can legally sell your CDs here too, but the funny thing is how the record labels are trying to stop people from reselling their downloads! Almost no one in the real world deletes the ripped files of CDs they sell. If your house catches on fire or you get your CDs stolen, you are not going to also delete those same files. That's exactly why you backed them up!

I have nothing against downloads, and I've purchased several [[mostly lossless, but even a few lossy ones for "must-have" titles where it was the only choice), but I still buy mostly physical cds and make my own digital [[lossless flac) files. I don't have to take the cds out of the jewel cases to play them.
    I do this too. But, now I have a bunch of CDs cluttering up my space that I really didn't want. I play the music from them all the time but never have to touch the discs! And, there are things that you can only get on CD, even today. A lot of classic R&B music falls into this category.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    No physical CD = No sale!

Ditto. Although this was one of her better albums I'm passing on the rest of her solo work. Diana Ross [[70), Everything Is Everything, Surrender and The Boss are my favorites aside from a few later singles.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    One last moan about download from me and that's my lot -

1. As long as downloads are lossy they are not the real deal.

2. If an American company called 'CULTURE FACTORY' can put out mini lp cd editions of 'ROSS' - [[1978), 'Cream Of The Crop' and many other Motown titles specifically for collectors - then why on earth can't Universal? License this stuff to company's who WILL produce cd's.

3. I feel sorry for Andy and the team as, clearly, their hands are tied and they are toeing the corporate directive from the money men, who are saying no to physical cd production. Why else would we be getting a second download only release after so many fans expressed disappointment with Funny Girl?

On a side note - yesterday I bought Culture Factory's edition of 'ROSS", as I now realise we will never see that in physical form from Hip-O.
    One more thing: I wonder how you guys would react if the companies only released these albums in the vinyl format. There are a lot of remastered titles that are vinyl only releases, like Barry White's "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love".

Henry Rollins, formerly of Black Flag and now a DJ and commentator on public radio here in Southern California, had an interesting interview yesterday about analog vs. digital releases. First of all, to him digital includes CDs of course. He was lamenting not only downloads, but "listening devices" such as Ipods, Iphones, earbuds, etc., as being woefully inadequate to hear any music the way it was intended to sound.

He also talked about the increase in vinyl sales, the new turntables coming out, and the boom in new material being available in various analog formats - including cassette tapes which are apparently making a comeback!

He closed by saying that anyone who loves music should tell a young person who only hears music through a "listening device" or downloads that hearing the music in this way is like "stabbing the musician or composer in the heart with a knife!"

It was really interesting, and confirmed the love I still have for vinyl. In fact, lately I just bought the new Pink Floyd and Echo & the Bunnymen on double LPs [[which of course include either a CD or a download with it as well).

On another note, the music industry has always been completely myopic about the needs or preferences of the listener. For those of us old enough to remember when cassettes first hit the market [[ahem), the record companies were convinced that people buying cassette players and recording each others' LPs were going to ruin their gravy train. They used to plaster stickers on LP jackets saying "Home Taping is Killing Music!" So I doubt many in the industry care much about the "integrity" of the music source or what the listeners even will buy, so long as they can make a quick buck off us on something cheaper.

I did buy the "Funny Girl" download but "Baby It's Me" with only 3 unreleased tracks, I'll pass on that one.
    Last edited by kenneth; 11-19-2014 at 11:46 AM.

It is much more than just 3 unreleased tracks. All of those 2014 mixes are alternate vocals and includes instruments that were muted in the original releases. I feel that it was a mistake to call these "2014 mixes". It leaves some people wondering if they are dance remixes of the songs. They should have just said alternate vocals and mixes.

You don't have to be limited to the device you listen to downloads on. I am constantly annoyed by people who don't fully understand technology and don't make any effort to learn about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It is much more than just 3 unreleased tracks. All of those 2014 mixes are alternate vocals and includes instruments that were muted in the original releases. I feel that it was a mistake to call these "2014 mixes". It leaves some people wondering if they are dance remixes of the songs. They should have just said alternate vocals and mixes.
    Yes and they are really good. Some of them I like better than the original release. I too want this as a nice double cd but I can not pass on the digital release. If they are released later on cd I will definitely buy it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    You don't have to be limited to the device you listen to downloads on. I am constantly annoyed by people who don't fully understand technology and don't make any effort to learn about it.
    Soulster, if this is referring to the comments by Henry Rollins, I think his point was more digital vs. analog than listening to digital on a hand held device. According to Rollings, any digital recording simply can't keep up with an analog one.

Lulu Guest
    Does anyone think CDs will become obsolete like VHS tapes?