[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson cover story

Touch of Classic soul,current issue. Great interview and cover photo.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    do you have a link please?

I think this is something that the writer sells himself on Ebay.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...on-Karyn-White

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    I think this is something that the writer sells himself on Ebay.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...on-Karyn-White
    Thanks skooldem1 so it look like its a self published magazine and not something i can pick up at my local grocery store.

fondly,

Roberta

Thanks Luke!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-SOUL...item58b7dbd3dc

Thank you, Luke.

MT

My pleasure..great pic! Some intersting discussion on Barbara Marin, the Primettes and 70s Supremes.

Is this sold only through or on Ebay?

Not sure. I get subscription. contact is Aloivta2@aol.com

Marv,

Hit me up at aloivta2@aol.com

Thx,
    MT

Quote Originally Posted by mellow_q View Post
    Marv,

Hit me up at aloivta2@aol.com

Thx,
    MT
    Will do. Thank you Mellow_q!

Thanks Luke!

Will also hit u up for a subscription

Has anyone gotten a copy of this yet? Mary's interview is six pages long and I did not expect to learn anything new since she has just about said it all in her books and limitless interviews. But I did learn some new facts in this interview with her. Maybe its because the interviewer didn't ask the questions that have been asked and answered a hundred times like the 2000 re-union tour, her relationship with Diana any chance of a future re-union. And so he had time to ask different questions.

I did not know that Mary made a failed attempt to join Carolyn Franklin's group.

It explains how Diana got Smokey to introduce them to Motown. He did, but was more interested in their guitarist. It explains how they were introduced to - and recorded for - Lu-Pine when they were initially rejected by Motown.

When Diana heard a song that Freddie Gorman wrote, she asked if the Primettes could record it. He and Berry agreed, Berry and Brian Holland contributed to the song and the group eventually recorded I WANT A GUY after Berry made them change their name and sign a contract.

I also learned that Barbara recorded some songs with the Primettes at Motown but she left before the name change and contracts were signed. So my interpretation is that only three girls signed the original contract for Motown as The Supremes, but Barbara was on those early recordings that were made before the contracts were signed.

Mary contradicts her earlier interviews and now says that no one called them the NO Hit Supremes. It was a phrase that she coined. When she wrote her book she said that they were probably calling them that behind their backs.

Although she fought it at the time, she says that in retrospect, they should have changed the name of the group in the seventies.

This is a nice positive interview with Mary with good background from the interviewer.

I like Touch of Classic Soul. I think I bought a copy a few years ago. It reminds me a bit of SOUL MAGAZINE, a monthly magazine that came out in the seventies. It covers the same music of that era.

There are also two extended articles on SURFACE and the MONTCLAIRS in this current magazine that I haven't read yet, but I will.

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the article about Mary and the price of the mag is worth it.

Damn! I feel like I just did a commercial

Nice picture of Mary, wonder what year that was taken? '66? '67?

Interesting bit about Barbara so she's saying that Barbara was around for some of the 1960-1961 recordings but left before they signed the contract? Hmm... I guess that makes sense. But didn't she also write in Dreamgirls that Barbara left in the spring of 1962?

I wonder now that Mary says she coined them the "no-hit Supremes", would Otis Williams admit that he coined his group "the hitless Temptations"?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    ....Interesting bit about Barbara so she's saying that Barbara was around for some of the 1960-1961 recordings but left before they signed the contract? Hmm... I guess that makes sense. But didn't she also write in Dreamgirls that Barbara left in the spring of 1962?...
    I just looked at some dates on line [[mostly Wikopedia) and it says that they signed their contract in Jan 1961, Barbara got pregnant in Oct of 1961 and left in the spring of 1962.

In this article Mary says that when Barbara left, they had just gotten to Motown and were getting ready to sign contracts and it was at that point that she wanted to get married and it was at that point that she left. But in the same paragraph, Mary also says that Barbara "was really there for quite some time" so if I am reading it correctly, she contradicts herself in the article too.

^ Yeah I felt something was amiss there...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nice picture of Mary, wonder what year that was taken? '66? '67?

Interesting bit about Barbara so she's saying that Barbara was around for some of the 1960-1961 recordings but left before they signed the contract? Hmm... I guess that makes sense. But didn't she also write in Dreamgirls that Barbara left in the spring of 1962?

I wonder now that Mary says she coined them the "no-hit Supremes", would Otis Williams admit that he coined his group "the hitless Temptations"?
    I think the photo of Mary is from 1965, taken when the girls performed at the Grand Gala du Disque in Holland.

Re Barbara, most sources say that the group was signed to Motown in January of 1961, a time when Barbara was in the group. In her first book, Mary wrote that Barbara's mother kicked up a fuss at the contract signing and refused to sign. But things settled down, and all four mothers signed the contract. Later I recall reading where Mary said that they actually lost Barbara because her mother refused to sign.

But in the booklet for the recent expanded edition of MEET THE SUPREMES, Mary interviewed Barbara and even asked if she remembered signing the contract. Barbara responded that they were all too young and their parents had to sign for them. She went on to say that her mom was against it. But after discussing it with her father, she went along with it.

At this stage, I'm used to artists being inconsistent about the facts of their careers. Practically every bio I have read has had some errors in it.
    Last edited by reese; 11-22-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Good point... but I always regarded [[and still regard) that Barbara Martin was a Supreme. But yeah it's normal to be inconsistent. Tina Turner had that same problem with her book. Not trying to derail the thread, just a mention lol

Barbara was with the group until the spring of 1962. She did over 30 recordings with the group before leaving. This includes multiple versions, alternate vocals, etc. In fact, I think she's on more recordings than Lynda and Susaye.

The fourth member Betty / Barbara thing gets mixed up a lot by sources and even Mary. It's just not something heavily discussed in detail when the early Supremes days are discussed and so names and dates get switched around.

^ Yeah I initially figured that: that she got Barbara mixed up with Betty, who wasn't even around when the Supremes began recording in Hitsville under their original name.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Has anyone gotten a copy of this yet? Mary's interview is six pages long and I did not expect to learn anything new since she has just about said it all in her books and limitless interviews. But I did learn some new facts in this interview with her. Maybe its because the interviewer didn't ask the questions that have been asked and answered a hundred times like the 2000 re-union tour, her relationship with Diana any chance of a future re-union. And so he had time to ask different questions.

I did not know that Mary made a failed attempt to join Carolyn Franklin's group.

It explains how Diana got Smokey to introduce them to Motown. He did, but was more interested in their guitarist. It explains how they were introduced to - and recorded for - Lu-Pine when they were initially rejected by Motown.

When Diana heard a song that Freddie Gorman wrote, she asked if the Primettes could record it. He and Berry agreed, Berry and Brian Holland contributed to the song and the group eventually recorded I WANT A GUY after Berry made them change their name and sign a contract.

I also learned that Barbara recorded some songs with the Primettes at Motown but she left before the name change and contracts were signed. So my interpretation is that only three girls signed the original contract for Motown as The Supremes, but Barbara was on those early recordings that were made before the contracts were signed.

Mary contradicts her earlier interviews and now says that no one called them the NO Hit Supremes. It was a phrase that she coined. When she wrote her book she said that they were probably calling them that behind their backs.

Although she fought it at the time, she says that in retrospect, they should have changed the name of the group in the seventies.

This is a nice positive interview with Mary with good background from the interviewer.

I like Touch of Classic Soul. I think I bought a copy a few years ago. It reminds me a bit of SOUL MAGAZINE, a monthly magazine that came out in the seventies. It covers the same music of that era.

There are also two extended articles on SURFACE and the MONTCLAIRS in this current magazine that I haven't read yet, but I will.

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the article about Mary and the price of the mag is worth it.

Damn! I feel like I just did a commercial
    Milven, midnightman and others .... Thank you!!!

supremester Guest
    Barbara was a Supreme - recorded and performed as such so I always count her. I count Betty as well, but a lot don't. I can see that, at 70, Mary might confuse the two as I'm getting forgetful a decade earlier.