[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ashlee Simpson seeks Diana Ross' help to reignite career

I think Ashlee is pushing her luck with Diana and may have found the button that sets her off.

Ashlee Simpson wants her superstar mother-in-law Diana Ross to help boost her music career by introducing her to new producers.

Ashlee Simpson has asked Diana Ross to help her reignite her music career.

The 'Pieces of Me' singer, who recently married the legendary singer's son Evan Ross, has reportedly begged her to introduce her to new producers.

A source told OK! magazine: ''Ashlee's constantly hitting up Diana for industry contacts. Diana has no problem helping her son out, and she really does like Ashlee, but she knows a spoiled princess when she sees one.''

The insider added: ''[Ashlee] is really pushing her luck with Diana.''

The 30-year-old beauty married Evan, 26, in a lavish ceremony at Diana's house in Connecticut last month.

The 70-year-old star, who is ordained, was heavily involved in the ceremony and even officiated the couple's wedding and then went on to perform her ballad 'Endless Love' at the service afterwards.

The former Supremes singer previously dismissed rumours of tension between her and Ashlee.

Shortly after their wedding, she said: ''I want only love, happiness, and joy for my son and his bride.''

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/as...career_4437614

The only reason I read this thread is to see how they got this information. And, of course, these people want remain anonymous because it's nothing but gossip fueled by personal opinion, and people tend to gossip about people they don't know. How do we know how Ross reacted? The article never says, but the "source", or the writer is good at giving their personal opinion that Ashlee is "pushing her luck". How does anyone know this? Is it fact?

If Diana still cared, I would have thought she'd be the one doing the asking!

I'm getting a seat in the bleachers,this is about to get good.

Lulu Guest
    I would say this is total BS. If Evan and Ashlee had any sense, they'd both have a seat. Evan - stick to acting. Ashlee - enjoy your marriage, do some charity and stay out of the biz!

Doubt it's true.

Just another thing to ruffle feathers.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

Oh no you don't i paid for these bleacher seats.

The forum realized it was another attempt to bash Ashlee Simpson. Get your money back.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashlee and Diane didn't get along, she comes off a not very bright, opporotunist. And I wouldn't blame Diane one bit for not liking her. That said, she probably puts on her best fake smile and puts up with her. I think that story is probably true, because only a person as stupid as Ashlee Simpson would ask a woman who hasn't had a hit record in 25 years, to help her get a hit. And you guys who think stories like this aren't true, because no source is cited are WAY off base. The reason no source is cited, is so the source doens't get sued. 99 percent of the time, leaks of gossip come from paid staff of the star [[maids, cooks, gardeners, chauffers, etc) and all these people are made to sign confidentiality agreements when they are hired, so that is the reason the source is always anonymous.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.

And, there's always someone who wants to perpetuate this made-up garbage anyway. Ralph has repeatedly said he doesn't want this kind of stuff on the forum, and has already banned one person for starting a similar thread.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    And, there's always someone who wants to perpetuate this made-up garbage anyway. Ralph has repeatedly said he doesn't want this kind of stuff on the forum, and has already banned one person for starting a similar thread.
    That, and it invites the usual anti-Ross trolls. Talk about zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    That, and it invites the usual anti-Ross trolls. Talk about zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Pro-Ross trolls = anti-Ross trolls. I'm cool with Ross talk as long as it's about the music. You've seen that. It's the gossip and other frivolous stuff I can really do without. It brings out the hostility in a lot of us.

Lulu Guest
    Pro-Ross trolls = anti-Ross trolls. I'm cool with Ross talk as long as it's about the music. You've seen that. It's the gossip and other frivolous stuff I can really do without. It brings out the hostility in a lot of us.
    Oh I agree. Hell, the damn thread about Aretha's salacious unauthorized biography did it as well. Ashlee is so not on my radar! I just wanted to see what Diana was wearing as she and Mary always bring out the glam and the Supremes as fashion icons is interesting as are their performances at charity events! This tawdry garbage in this thread and Ashlee and Evan in the airport, etc...all snooze to me!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Ashlee and Diane didn't get along, she comes off a not very bright, opporotunist. And I wouldn't blame Diane one bit for not liking her. That said, she probably puts on her best fake smile and puts up with her. I think that story is probably true, because only a person as stupid as Ashlee Simpson would ask a woman who hasn't had a hit record in 25 years, to help her get a hit.
    It's been more like 30 years....................but who's counting?

Someone remind me again which Hitsville era acts are still having pop hits while poor Diana isn't?

It's 2014 and its a 70 year old artist folks are expecting to whip out hit singles while they don't call out the rest of the Motown roster for failing to do the same is absurd.

I think a case of an innocent fantasy becoming a fixed delusion has occured here....

I noticed on Wikipedia it refers to some EMI reports and says I Love You sold 600000 odd copies worldwide; can't possibly be. That's a hit I guess. Particularly when compared to so many struggling artists who only ever sold a few thousand albums in a career.

Oh I agree. Hell, the damn thread about Aretha's salacious unauthorized biography did it as well. Ashlee is so not on my radar! I just wanted to see what Diana was wearing as she and Mary always bring out the glam and the Supremes as fashion icons is interesting as are their performances at charity events! This tawdry garbage in this thread and Ashlee and Evan in the airport, etc...all snooze to me!
    They are young and happy newlyweds. Let them be. Maybe someone has a problem with her because she's a white girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Someone remind me again which Hitsville era acts are still having pop hits while poor Diana isn't?

It's 2014 and its a 70 year old artist folks are expecting to whip out hit singles while they don't call out the rest of the Motown roster for failing to do the same is absurd.
    Doesn't matter. Most veteran Motown artists are...dead! Lionel Richie and Smokey Robinson are about the only two I can think of who have gotten anywhere close to the singles charts in the last several years. Michael Jackson did it, but posthumously.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I noticed on Wikipedia it refers to some EMI reports and says I Love You sold 600000 odd copies worldwide; can't possibly be. That's a hit I guess. Particularly when compared to so many struggling artists who only ever sold a few thousand albums in a career.
    They must've forgotten the decimal point right after the 6, because it sounds like someone's delusional fantasy.

Doesn't matter. Most veteran Motown artists are...dead! Lionel Richie and Smokey Robinson are about the only two I can think of who have gotten anywhere close to the singles charts in the last several years. Michael Jackson did it, but posthumously.
    But you skipped any album chart! And I think Ross, the Temptations and Ross/Supremes have made some of the charts, especially any time SHE tours!

But you skipped any album chart! And I think Ross, the Temptations and Ross/Supremes have made some of the charts, especially any time SHE tours!
    Are you talking about NEW albums or OLD albums that people started buying again for some reason? That makes a difference. I'm talking about NEW recordings singles or albums. I'm also talking about albums and singles that actually get high enough on the charts to compete with the Pitbulls, Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grandes, and Nicki Minaz of the world.

Lulu Guest
    I'm not sure what constitutes a "hit". Are we talking #1? Are we talking any chart impact at all?

I've compiled Diana Ross's chart history for the last ten years on these boards numerous times. Below are the singles and albums that charted in the Top 40 on US charts as well as the UK as we have several members from the UK in the forum.

Unfortunately, the two folks who've provided their own dates above have repeatedly shown that they don't deal in facts but rather personal biases. The truth is, no other Supreme has had ANY Top 40 anything since the group disbanded in 1977. Frankly, no other Supreme ever will [[living or dead, "audio interviews" included).

For the last time, here are the facts kids. No fallacies or delusions. If you want unit counts, perhaps someone else will chime in:

Singles

"When You Tell Me That You Love Me" [[duet with Westlife), #2 UK [[2005)

"I've Got A Crush On You" [[duet with Rod Stewart), #19 US AC [[2006)

Albums

Blue, #2 US Jazz [[2006)

I Love You, #32 US Pop, #16 US R&B [[2007)

Lulu Guest
    Correct. Historic albums for all Motown artists have sold consistently well on iTunes and Amazon, especially in the digital age. Marvin Gaye, no surprise to anyone, is usually the best-selling, followed by Stevie Wonder, The Temptations, Lionel Richie, The Supremes, and Diana Ross. Occasionally, we'll see a Marvelettes or Vandellas compilation pop up and the Jacksons are pretty solidly represented although, again as no surprise, Michael's solo career blows everyone I've already mentioned out of the water.

I'm not sure what constitutes a "hit". Are we talking #1? Are we talking any chart impact at all?

I've compiled Diana Ross's chart history for the last ten years on these boards numerous times. Below are the singles and albums that charted in the Top 40 on US charts as well as the UK as we have several members from the UK in the forum.

Unfortunately, the two folks who've provided their own dates above have repeatedly shown that they don't deal in facts but rather personal biases. The truth is, no other Supreme has had ANY Top 40 anything since the group disbanded in 1977. Frankly, no other Supreme ever will [[living or dead, "audio interviews" included).

For the last time, here are the facts kids. No fallacies or delusions. If you want unit counts, perhaps someone else will chime in:

Singles

"When You Tell Me That You Love Me" [[duet with Westlife), #2 UK [[2005)

"I've Got A Crush On You" [[duet with Rod Stewart), #19 US AC [[2006)

Albums

Blue, #2 US Jazz [[2006)

I Love You, #32 US Pop, #16 US R&B [[2007)
    I don't have any problem with the stats. But, those singles are nowhere. The AC and jazz chart is pretty much insignificant in the scheme of things these days. Again, is she [[or Rod Stewart) competing with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Barbra Streisand like back in the 70s and 80s? As a guy who came up in the 60s, 70s, i'm all for veteran artists making big comebacks to the charts. If Ross gets one too, that would be cool.

Lulu Guest
    The industry is so youth obsessed as we've discussed. Even Streisand who's arguably the most successful of the lot in terms of album sales, ain't gonna score any single hits or Top 40 airplay off of that [[fabulous, I might add) album.

Either way, we're all adults here and I think we could stand to stop the name calling and digs on these senior citizens we've been discussing!

The industry is so youth obsessed as we've discussed. Even Streisand who's arguably the most successful of the lot in terms of album sales, ain't gonna score any single hits or Top 40 airplay off of that [[fabulous, I might add) album.
    Except that back in the day, Barbra Streisand was big with the youth. She, along with Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka had top 10 hits.

Either way, we're all adults here and I think we could stand to stop the name calling and digs on these senior citizens we've been discussing!
    What are you going on about? No one here is dissing senior citizens or calling anyone names. You're dreaming up problems where there are none.

Lulu Guest
    Except that back in the day, Barbra Streisand was big with the youth. She, along with Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka had top 10 hits.

What are you going on about? No one here is dissing senior citizens or calling anyone names. You're dreaming up problems where there are none.
    I was joking but yes, the insults on these "ladies of a certain age" started when Aretha put that album out! Can't we leave their past weight or addictions to booze, cocaine or fried chicken out of the discourse?!? LOL

I was joking but yes, the insults on these "ladies of a certain age" started when Aretha put that album out! Can't we leave their past weight or addictions to booze, cocaine or fried chicken out of the discourse?!? LOL
    I am not the one doing that.

BTW, it's been a long time since i've had some fried chicken. Hmmm...sounds like dinner!

Lulu Guest
    I am not the one doing that.

BTW, it's been a long time since i've had some fried chicken. Hmmm...sounds like dinner!
    Well, tis the season so all I can offer for the next two months is fried turkey!

I ain't dissing, just facts. When I say HIT RECORD, I mean top 20 on the hot 100 or top 20 on the album chart. Top 40 is still a hit, just a middle of the road hit, not a big one. My point was that if Diane had inroads on some way to get a hit record, be it with producers or wrtiers or whatever, she's use it HERSELF, not give it to that skanky heffa of a daughter in law she's got. and I have news for you, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" deserved to be a top 10 hit. it was a great song. Unfortunately, she only got the chart action in the UK because of the westlife thing, when you hook your wagon to a hot boy band with all the screaming teenyboppers peeing themselves over them, you can't help but have a hit.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-02-2014 at 08:55 PM.

I ain't dissing, just facts. When I say HIT RECORD, I mean top 20 on the hot 100 or top 20 on the album chart. Top 40 is still a hit, just a middle of the road hit, not a big one. My point was that if Diane had inroads on some way to get a hit record, be it with producers or wrtiers or whatever, she's use it HERSELF, not give it to that skanky heffa of a daughter in law she's got. and I have news for you, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" deserved to be a top 10 hit. it was a great song. Unfortunately, she only got the chart action in the UK because of the westlife thing, when you hook your wagon to a hot boy band with all the screaming teenyboppers peeing themselves over them, you can't help but have a hit.
    Here it says it didn't even make the Hot 100 in the U.S., that it bombed completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography

"skanky heffa of a daughter in law"

really!!!! Is there any need for such hostility and vindictivness Have you met Dianes daughter in law? If you cant say something nice why not say nothing at all?

roberta

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here it says it didn't even make the Hot 100 in the U.S., that it bombed completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Ross_discography
    Newsflash:

I specifically mentioned chart activity over the last ten years which would include the "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" remake with Westlife which charted at #2 in 2005.

Jillfoster referenced the original version which also hit #2 in the UK.

We all know it didn't chart in the US and no one claimed it did so once again, you posted for no reason. Did anything from Walk The Line chart anywhere? Maybe on Planet Marv .
    Last edited by Lulu; 11-02-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Newsflash:

I specifically mentioned chart activity over the last ten years which would include the "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" remake with Westlife which charted at #2 in 2005.

Jillfoster referenced the original version which also hit #2 in the UK.

We all know it didn't chart in the US and no one claimed it did so once again, you posted for no reason. Did anything from Walk The Line chart anywhere? Maybe on Planet Marv .
    EVERYTHING That Diane has released in last 30 years in the United States has bombed [[in regards to the Hot 100......).

Lulu Guest
    EVERYTHING That Diane has released in last 30 years in the United States has bombed [[in regards to the Hot 100......).
    No one argued that point and you're the only one talking about the US charts so I'm not sure what the point of your posts is? None of the veteran artists have been making waves on the singles charts here for years so who cares!
    Last edited by Lulu; 11-02-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Who cares? No one said any of her singles charted. I'm not sure what the point of your posts is?
    Just sayin'..................................

Lulu Guest
    Just sayin'..................................
    If we're talking US Hot 100 singles, let's take a look at the other veterans.

Not a whole hell of a lot in the last 10, 15, almost 20 years for these folks:

Aretha Franklin's last "hit" was "Here We Go Again" [[#76, 1998)

Patti LaBelle's last "hit" was "When You Talk About Love" [[#56, 1997)

Dionne Warwick's last "hit" was "What The World Needs Now" [[#87, 1998)

Gladys Knight's last "hit" was "Missing You" [[#25, 1996)

Tina Turner's last "hit" was "Missing You" [[#84, 1996)

Cher's last "hit" was "Song For The Lonely" [[#85, 2002)

Barbra Streisand's last "hit" was "I Finally Found Someone" [[#8, 1996)

Do we honestly believe any of these women will hit the Hot 100 again?
    Last edited by Lulu; 11-02-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Maybe, maybe not. But like I said, if they did have a clue on how to get a hit record, they'd use it for themselves. Sorry, but I can't have one iota of respect for someone who does this:
    Last edited by jillfoster; 11-02-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Lulu Guest
    Maybe, maybe not. But like I said, if they did have a clue on how to get a hit record, they'd use it for themselves. Sorry, but I can't have one iota of respect for someone who does this:
    That was the end for Ashlee. Like I said, she should just retire from the biz, be a wife and mom and maybe do some charity work or hell, start a clothing line - Jessica has made MILLIONS!

As for Diana helping, no way, no how and neither would any of the other ladies. When was the last time you had a "protege" of theirs hit the scene?

None of what you listed has been as long as 30 years ago. Diane has not hit anything in more than a generation......................

Lulu Guest
    None of what you listed has been as long as 30 years ago. Diane has not hit anything in more than a generation......................
    I8 years is a long time and also "a generation". I'm not sure why it matters. DianA's last Hot 100 hit was "Experience" [[#64, 1986). 1986 was actually 28 years ago if we're being precise.

If any of the women above ever hit the Hot 100 again, you can guarantee I'll pick up the cheque for you and a +1 to dine at any restaurant in Manhattan. You just let me know and I'll phone in with my credit card.

When was Mary Wilson's last hit?

I8 years is a long time and also "a generation". I'm not sure why it matters. DianA's last Hot 100 hit was "Experience" [[#64, 1986). 1986 was actually 28 years ago if we're being precise.

That's not true. That record [["Experience") did even not make the charts at all in the U.S. I don't think I've even heard of that song before. I believe Aretha is pretty high up on the charts right now. Diana Ross' recording career kinda ended in the 80's.

Lulu Guest
    That's not true. That record [["Experience") did even not make the charts at all in the U.S. I don't think I've even heard of that song before. I believe Aretha is pretty high up on the charts right now. Diana Ross' recording career kinda ended in the 80's.
    My mistake. "Experience" from Eaten Alive charted in the UK. "Chain Reaction" charted here in the US in 1986 at #66. Aretha's album will sell well for a few weeks but she'll have no singles on The Hot 100.

On that note, I'm kinda ending this conversation. I'll let someone else entertain this conversation for the 1,000,000th time. I've got to go watch my stories.

My mistake. "Experience" from Eaten Alive charted in the UK. "Chain Reaction" charted here in the US in 1986 at #66. Aretha's album will sell well for a few weeks but she'll have no singles on The Hot 100.

On that note, I'm kinda ending this conversation. I'll let someone else entertain this conversation for the 1,000,000th time. I've got to go watch my stories.

I'm not done yet. What I find most amazing is that Diane has had some very high profile opportunities to debut her later material, i.e the Super Bowl, American Music Awards, Oprah Winfrey Show multiple times and each time her music has been soundly rejected by the American Public! Why? I know most artists would kill for that kind of exposure. She had it and couldn't even get one hit from all those really big shows........

I ain't dissing, just facts. When I say HIT RECORD, I mean top 20 on the hot 100 or top 20 on the album chart. Top 40 is still a hit, just a middle of the road hit, not a big one.
    That was my point, too.

not give it to that skanky heffa of a daughter in law she's got.
    Now, do you know this for a fact? Ralph doesn't want this stuff here. He could ban you for this.

and I have news for you, "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" deserved to be a top 10 hit. it was a great song. Unfortunately, she only got the chart action in the UK because of the westlife thing, when you hook your wagon to a hot boy band with all the screaming teenyboppers peeing themselves over them, you can't help but have a hit.
    Exactly! She's be snaggin' Rihanna's producers! Or, maybe she should have done a duet album with Tony Bennett.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-03-2014 at 01:13 AM.

That's not true. That record [["Experience") did even not make the charts at all in the U.S. I don't think I've even heard of that song before. I believe Aretha is pretty high up on the charts right now. .
    According to Billboard, Aretha id at #13. Barbra Streisand and neil Diamond are both in the top 10, and Tony Bennett is also in the top 10 with Lady Gaga.

If Ross wants to get back on the top ten, she has to get a label deal, do an album of standards with some other singers, and promote the hell out of it. It really doesn't have to be contemporary pop.

The cold reality is that Ross is only huge within her fan base. She's got to parlay that back into the mainstream. She also has to repair her image after reports of "diva" behavior. Sorry, but it's a hard fact that her image, at least in the U.S., is damaged. We are living in the internet era.

People like Aretha, Natalie Cole, Barbra Streisand have kept their name out there and have been releasing albums all this time. But, they have been able to do it because of image, image, image, and keeping product out there! I can't stress that enough!

Oh, it's very possible! Same with some of the men, like Rod Stewart, who's been releasing excellent standards albums for a decade that have been wildly successful, despite the horror from his old fanbase that wants a reunion album with Faces.

What kind of albums has Ross been releasing? And, don't count out Ashlee Simpson. With the way today's pop market is, she could get herself back on the charts. All it takes is the right music and producers. I also don't believe for a minute the mess the OP started this thread with.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-03-2014 at 01:31 AM.