[REMOVE ADS]

The First Lady Of Motown

What news dear? Miss Claudette hasnt updated her news since February so theres nothing new here and IMO Dr Martha Reeves IS the First Lady of motown records.

Roberta

And what does that make Mary Wells if "First" signifies the lady who impacted the initial success the label enjoyed by a female artist?

Only Janie Bradford, Claudette, Mabel John and Mary Wells can brag of being Motown's "first lady" lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Only Janie Bradford, Claudette, Mabel John and Mary Wells can brag of being Motown's "first lady" lol
    Yup. While Martha as an early addition to the Motown hits parade, she was not the First Lady. Neither was Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, no matter how important they may be to the success of the company.

By the way, Claudette looks absolutely amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Yup. While Martha as an early addition to the Motown hits parade, she was not the First Lady. Neither was Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, no matter how important they may be to the success of the company.
    I agree with these people.

If we are going to move down the line to people that weren't really first, the person the public would identify as being the "First Lady" in terms of a leader and recognition is quite obvious, if unpopular with the odd person on the Forum.

While I suppose any of the great female artists and their fans could lay claim to the moniker "First Lady Of Motown...It was Berry Gordy Jr who "officially" gave that title to Claudette Robinson...It's in his autobiography. As a member of The Miracles...Claudette was the first female artist signed to a Motown label [[Tamla).
    Last edited by StuBass1; 10-30-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Lulu Guest
    I've always said that Dr. Mabel John was the first lady of Motown!

Well IMO Dr. Martha Reeves is was and always will be the real first Lady of Motown Records and Motowns greatest ambassaddor and the sound of Motown records.

Roberta

Once Maxine Powell had worked on them they were all ladies of equal importance

Linda Lorenz is the First Lady of Motown.

Lulu Guest
    Gwyneth Paltrow referred to Diana as "The Queen of Motown" last night. What's the difference between a Queen and a First Lady, I wonder? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Once Maxine Powell had worked on them they were all ladies of equal importance
    I agree lol

Martha Reeves & the Vandellas arguably gave Motown the "definitive Motown Anthem in '"Dancing in the Streets", though she initially resisted recording it. But Brenda Holloway and Mary Wells opened for The Beatles and were revered by The Stones". Mick Jagger even recorded his atrocious version of "Dancing in the Streets". I guess it comes down to what is your definition of "First Lady". But you cannot discount Berry, the visionary naming Claudette as The First Lady. Singling out Martha from the other ladies in The Vandellas somehow seems disrespectful to them. To me, The First Lady title signifies the woman who gave the label universal presence. And though neither Mary nor Martha sold albums [[At a time when black artists didn't really sell albums), the lady with the first significant chart impact was Mary. But then Mary abandoned the label before her role could truly solidify. It all leads to a very mixed bag indeed. Only Mr. Gordy knows for sure......

Why does there have to be a "first lady"? There's no discussion about a "first gentleman" is there? Or is that Gordy? The world is already competitive enough -- and yes there was a lot of competition within Motown... we don't need to have a competition more than 50 years later about who was first [[and thus also who was second, third, etc.). All those Motown ladies were grand in their own way and should be acknowledged as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Why does there have to be a "first lady"? There's no discussion about a "first gentleman" is there? Or is that Gordy? The world is already competitive enough -- and yes there was a lot of competition within Motown... we don't need to have a competition more than 50 years later about who was first [[and nthus also who was second, third, etc.). All those Motown ladies were grand in their own way and should be acknowledged as such.
    it is a Marketing term. Toni Braxton was deemed The First Lady of LaFace. It's just another way to define an artist mainly for label purposes. Why did MichalJackson insist on MTV and the industry call him King of Pop? Especially when his commercial relevance was on the wane. Elvis, the king of rock n roll. Marketing, marketing, marketing. It is a label's way of separating an artist out of the pack. If you buy into it, it worked! If you didn't, the label may consider going back to the drawing board, Mary J. Blige was deemed the Queen of Hip Ho Soul after 1 album. Marketing, marketing, marketing......

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    it is a Marketing term. Toni Braxton was deemed The First Lady of LaFace. It's just another way to define an artist mainly for label purposes. Why did MichalJackson insist on MTV and the industry call him King of Pop? Especially when his commercial relevance was on the wane. Elvis, the king of rock n roll. Marketing, marketing, marketing. It is a label's way of separating an artist out of the pack. If you buy into it, it worked! If you didn't, the label may consider going back to the drawing board, Mary J. Blige was deemed the Queen of Hip Ho Soul after 1 album. Marketing, marketing, marketing......
    You're totally right, but does that mean we have to buy into this as well [[50 years later)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    You're totally right, but does that mean we have to buy into this as well [[50 years later)?
    Freedom of Choice!!!

It certainly was not a marketing tool by Berry Gordy proclaiming Claudette the FLOM...She was hardly a marquee artist, but a member [[who did not even make live appearances) of Motowns first group, The Miracles, thus was the first female artist signed to what would become the Motown conglomerate. Claudette was there from the very beginning with Smokey and Berry. It was at Claudettes house where what became The Funk Brothers held their very first rehearsal with Joe Hunter, Benny Benjamin, and James Jamerson. I think that it would be Berrys prerogative to give that title to whomever he chooses, although any fan I suppose can give any artist that title if they wish...but Berry would be the only person who could make that type of thing official...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    It certainly was not a marketing tool by Berry Gordy proclaiming Claudette the FLOM...She was hardly a marquee artist, but a member [[who did not even make live appearances) of Motowns first group, The Miracles, thus was the first female artist signed to what would become the Motown conglomerate. Claudette was there from the very beginning with Smokey and Berry. It was at Claudettes house where what became The Funk Brothers held their very first rehearsal with Joe Hunter, Benny Benjamin, and James Jamerson. I think that it would be Berrys prerogative to give that title to whomever he chooses, although any fan I suppose can give any artist that title if they wish...but Berry would be the only person who could make that type of thing official...
    berry may have his own ideas about whom is the first lady of motown. But to the fans it nas to be mary wells she made the most impact on the charts with 4 top 10 hits, all making an impact before the supremes wdolg hit the charts, and martha can claim the sound of young america with that scorcher heat wave and later dancing in the street but can hardly be claimed as the first lady especially since she was part of a trio

Anyone who was around in the early sixties always heard Mary Wells referred to as The First Lady of Motown. No one else was called that title in print, on TV, or by dee-jays. Of course, she became person non grata after she left Motown and there was no successor to the title. I've only heard Claudette referred to as first lady recently and it really makes no sense to me. Many people did not even know her name and she didn't even tour with her group. Martha is only referred to as first lady by her number one fan, Roberta.

I am surprised that Berry refers to Claudette as First Lady and not Diana. But Claudette was there in the beginning as stated above and it is his prerogative to name Claudette.

Its an unofficial title anyhow, so Roberta is within her right to name Martha. I was around in the early sixties, and Mary Wells will always have that title in my mind, even though DIana as a soloist and as lead singer of a group probably deserves the title more

Shouldn't Raynoma, Berry's first wife, who helped set up Motown be considered as well?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Miss Claudette [[what I always call her in meeting) is definitely the first lady of Motown. She still looks gorgeous. Thanks Luke, her website looks real nice.

Well if it doesn't matter what the President has to say about it, then I'll make Gwyneth Paltrow First Lady of the United States of America. She's hotter than Michelle [[IMO)...and appears to love President Obama just as much ...

Well if it doesn't matter what the President has to say about it, then I'll make Gwyneth Paltrow First Lady of the United States of America. She's hotter than Michelle [[IMO)...and appears to love President Obama just as much ...
    Well, with that sentence, you just put this whole discussion in proper perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Anyone who was around in the early sixties always heard Mary Wells referred to as The First Lady of Motown. No one else was called that title in print, on TV, or by dee-jays. Of course, she became person non grata after she left Motown and there was no successor to the title. I've only heard Claudette referred to as first lady recently and it really makes no sense to me. Many people did not even know her name and she didn't even tour with her group. Martha is only referred to as first lady by her number one fan, Roberta.

I am surprised that Berry refers to Claudette as First Lady and not Diana. But Claudette was there in the beginning as stated above and it is his prerogative to name Claudette.

Its an unofficial title anyhow, so Roberta is within her right to name Martha. I was around in the early sixties, and Mary Wells will always have that title in my mind, even though DIana as a soloist and as lead singer of a group probably deserves the title more

Thank you dear have a blessed and beutiful weekend.

fondly,

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Roberta has referred to DR. Martha Reeves as the First Lady of Motown so many times that I now think the same!

Quote Originally Posted by stubass1 View Post
    well if it doesn't matter what the president has to say about it, then i'll make gwyneth paltrow first lady of the united states of america. She's hotter than michelle [[imo)...and appears to love president obama just as much ...
    haaaaaaaa,hey stu,you're drunker than i am if you think that gwyneth paltrow is finer than michelle,i think gwyneth is a mutt,and i've had a snoutful.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    haaaaaaaa,hey stu,you're drunker than i am if you think that gwyneth paltrow is finer than michelle,i think gwyneth is a mutt,and i've had a snoutful.
    I didn't say smarter...but I did say IMO...Maybe when you sober up you'll see things differently...Nobody looks good when you've got double vision...

I always thought Moms Gordy was the First Lady, since it was her $800.00 that started the company!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I always thought Moms Gordy was the First Lady, since it was her $800.00 that started the company!
    THAT'S a fact!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

But Mrs Bertha Gordy is in heaven marybrewster so since 1975 when Miss Berta pass the current and reigning First Lady of Motown Records is Dr Martha Reeves imo.

Roberta

From Motown 25, somebody's else view of the First Lady of Motown:

Diana Ross's climactic appearance at Motown 25 is both right and righteous for one essential reason: Although Berry Gordy contributed mightily to the careers of Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson, Diana Ross was undoubtedly his crowning achievement. He took more of a personal interest in her career than any of his artists before or since. As he once wrote, "I was her mentor, her manager, her boss. She was my protege', my artist, my star." Gordy ushered her into superstardom as a solo singer and actress. A decade later Ross left the label and signed with RCA, separating her - for the first time - from Motown.

Thus Ross's grand entrance down the center aisle is especially emotional. She does, after all, remain the first lady of Motown. The very fact of her electrifying aura brings home the message of this long musical evening: that the past is alive and well in present time.

In a present time, Diana - who earlier in the evening made a whimsical surprise appearance during Adam Ant's rendition of Where Did Our Love Go - calls her sister Supremes to the stage. Diana graciously puts her arms around Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong and introduces them by name. It is Diana who delivers the final proclamation that eloquently characterizes Motown 25 as an undisputed triumph.

"Berry has always felt that he's never been really appreciated," she reveals. "But it's not about the people who leave Motown that's important, but it's about the people who come back, and tonight everybody came back."

It is only Diana who can speak these words of warm appeasement with such sincerity that Gordy is persuaded to come to the stage to take his place as the patriarch of a family that stands together to offer him gratitude and love. Diana realizes the evening's emotional high point - a rollicking sing along of Someday We'll Be Together in which the glory of yesterday returns today with the promise that today will be forever.

DAVID RITZ
    Last edited by jobeterob; 11-03-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    From Motown 25, somebody's else view of the First Lady of Motown:

Diana Ross's climactic appearance at Motown 25 is both right and righteous for one essential reason: Although Berry Gordy contributed mightily to the careers of Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson, Diana Ross was undoubtedly his crowning achievement. He took more of a personal interest in her career than any of his artists before or since. As he once wrote, "I was her mentor, her manager, her boss. She was my protege', my artist, my star." Gordy ushered her into superstardom as a solo singer and actress. A decade later Ross left the label and signed with RCA, separating her - for the first time - from Motown.

Thus Ross's grand entrance down the center aisle is especially emotional. She does, after all, remain the first lady of Motown. The very fact of her electrifying aura brings home the message of this long musical evening: that the past is alive and well in present time.

In a present time, Diana - who earlier in the evening made a whimsical surprise appearance during Adam Ant's rendition of Where Did Our Love Go - calls her sister Supremes to the stage. Diana graciously puts her arms around Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong and introduces them by name. It is Diana who delivers the final proclamation that eloquently characterizes Motown 25 as an undisputed triumph.

"Berry has always felt that he's never been really appreciated," she reveals. "But it's not about the people who leave Motown that's important, but it's about the people who come back, and tonight everybody came back."

It is only Diana who can speak these words of warm appeasement with such sincerity that Gordy is persuaded to come to the stage to take his place as the patriarch of a family that stands together to offer him gratitude and love. Diana realizes the evening's emotional high point - a rollicking sing along of Someday We'll Be Together in which the glory of yesterday returns today with the promise that today will be forever.

DAVID RITZ
    Mr Ritz is entitled to his opinion but imo Dr martha Reeves is the First Lady of Motown and i maen no disrespect to Mr David Ritz or Miss Diane Ross.

Fondly,

Roberta

Whether she's First Lady, Third Lady, or receptionist turned star, Martha Reeves is certainly a very significant part of Motown's success. Some classic tracks and vocals...

I second that emotion.

First Lady/Ladies of Motown?

That's an easy one--except no one seemed to recognize it at the time:

THE ANDANTES.

Whether she's First Lady, Third Lady, or receptionist turned star, Martha Reeves is certainly a very significant part of Motown's success. Some classic tracks and vocals...
    Thank you dear StuBass.

Fondly,

Roberta

Does anyone know what Diana says AFTER this? To me it always looked like it was edited., like she was about tosay "But....."

I watch the DVDs soon and see if I see anything new.

There are new pictures in the booklet; at least one of Diana and Marvin, I think while he is rehearsing.