[REMOVE ADS]

50 Years Ago........"Come See About Me" Released.

Radio station CKWW reminded us that "Come See About Me " was released 50 years ago yesterday on October 27, 1964!

Great clip Marv. First time I'm seeing it with Ed greeting them afterwards. In photos, their dresses are usually shown as pale pink but I believe they were actually pale blue. One thing's for certain: No one did more for or looked better in spaghetti straps than Diana, Mary, and Florence.

RossHolloway Guest
    Here's a great remix..how can anyone not love her delivery.

RossHolloway Guest
    Another great remix, with Earl VanDyke version.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Another great remix, with Earl VanDyke version.

This record was a true gem, it was played everywhere the nella
    dodd copy had no chance once this record hit the charts. the perfect mix
    of heavy pop gospel and soul . the vocals of ross, ballard Wilson were OFF THE charts.

My all time favorite song from the original trio. Diana's somber lead vocal, Flo and Mary's desperate "Come See About Meeee"s it is a great song and I think a very underrated one. My favorite performance was when they did it on Hullabaloo, but this one on Shindig was good too:

First Supremes song I ever heard in life. Great song, and one of my all-time favorite 60s tunes. I actually prefer the original stereo mix over the mono mix, for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Great clip Marv. First time I'm seeing it with Ed greeting them afterwards. In photos, their dresses are usually shown as pale pink but I believe they were actually pale blue. One thing's for certain: No one did more for or looked better in spaghetti straps than Diana, Mary, and Florence.
    Methuselah, I have a colour clip of this track and their dresses are pink. Shit am I really commenting on Drats dresses I must be losing my marbles!

The Supremes could have stopped recording after this one, "Come See About Me" and would have still gone down in history as one of the great groups. This was my favorite recording by the group in the sixties. Those girls were awesome as a unit!

Listening to them sing "Come See About Me" acapella, you can clearly tell that all three had beautiful, clear voices that were so unique that when combined, they had something truly special that other groups just did not have!

With Mary Wilson, the song[[s) are kept fresh for today's audiences........

50 YEARS AND STILL SOUND GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post

Diane Ross sounds real great here Captain. Thank you kindly for posting.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

Roberta
    Yes Roberta. I was at this show last year at the Hollywood Bowl. The audience loved her.

No One does it better than Ross herself !!!!
    Truly the ultimate Diva
    and you are sooooo very welcome.

Roberta

I always thought "Come See About Me" was a top notch recording. IMHO it was the best song on the WDOLG LP. I always thought "Baby Love" was one of the weakest. I remember freakin out when I heard "Come See About Me'" by Nella Dodds on Wand Records on the radio...then Motown rushed out the Supremes original on 45 to radio & it was all over with for the Wand Records version.

No One does it better than Ross herself !!!!
    Truly the ultimate Diva
    and you are sooooo very welcome.
    But she did not do it by herself, it was a Supremes record and all three ladies and all three voices were needed to make that record what it became! Most of the thanks goes to Holland-Dozier- Holland, followed up by the Funk Brothers. Without that group effort, it would have not been anything to celebrate some 50 years later.....................

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    But she did not do it by herself, it was a Supremes record and all three ladies and all three voices were needed to make that record what it became! Most of the thanks goes to Holland-Dozier- Holland, followed up by the Funk Brothers. Without that group effort, it would have not been anything to celebrate some 50 years later.....................
    I didnt see you giving any credit to Flo or Diane or the Funk Brothers or HDH when you posted a darn near 20 year old clip stating that 'With Mary Wilson, the song[[s) are kept fresh for today's audiences" how a 20 year old clip is fresh is beyond me LOL.

Roberta

I didnt see you giving any credit to Flo or Diane or the Funk Brothers or HDH when you posted a darn near 20 year old clip stating that 'With Mary Wilson, the song[[s) are kept fresh for today's audiences" how a 20 year old clip is fresh is beyond me LOL.

Roberta
    I don't have to, because Mary ALWAYS gives them credit herself! Where do you see me say that "No one does it better than Wilson herself"! Bang! Now your assignment is to go sit and try harder to come up with a reasonable slam against me!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-11-2014 at 10:23 PM.

I don't have to, because Mary ALWAYS gives them credit herself! Where do you see me say that "No one does it better than Wilson herself"! Bang! Now your assignment is to go sit and try harder to come up with a reasonable slam against me!
    Slam you. honey you need to relax cause nobody and i mean nobody want to slam you.

Roberta

Roberta I understand what you were saying and you do not need to explain to absolutely NO ONE !!! period !!!
    The Supremes did it 50 years ago and in the clip Diana is still doing it by HERSELF !!! and she still sounds GOOD !!!!

I did not even realize there was another clip because that person is on my block list.

smark21 Guest
    Neither Mary or Diana are doing it by themselves when they perform Come See About Me or any other song in their shows, unless they are doing a solo acapella number sans mics with either all the house lights on or off. They have musicians on stage with them and background singers, not to mention sound crews and lighting to help enhance the performance.

Diana still sounds good and this has always been one of my favorites !!!!

This is still one of the best early Motown records around......

This is one of my favorite Supreme and Motown records. It is great to still have Diana around looking good and sounding almost as good as the original recording from 50 years ago. That is amazing. It was a musical dream come true when I saw her in concert and she sang this.

thomas96 Guest
    Junior's version is best hands down IMO.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Junior's version is best hands down IMO.
    Jr Walker's live version is great, but the original still can't be touched.

Love Jr. Walkers version but they are really so different it is hard to compare the two. But the original is probably my favorite song by the Supremes. I wish Diana Ross would keep it included in all of her shows. It was my favorite at the Hollywood Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Love Jr. Walkers version but they are really so different it is hard to compare the two. But the original is probably my favorite song by the Supremes. I wish Diana Ross would keep it included in all of her shows. It was my favorite at the Hollywood Bowl.
    I finally saw the Hollywood Bowl last week. Not impressed. I prefer Mary Wilson's singing "Come See About Me" now than any others in live performance.

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Jr Walker's live version is great, but the original still can't be touched.
    I don't dig on the Supremes too much. To each their own.

I finally saw the Hollywood Bowl last week. Not impressed. I prefer Mary Wilson's singing "Come See About Me" now than any others in live performance.
    Why doesn't that surprise me...