[REMOVE ADS]

Interesting. While I think the ladies are highly underrepresented on this list, its great to see Diana's "Ain't No Mountain" at #2, as well as Tina's "River Deep" on the list.

Where do these guys get thier info..on my girl[the temps begged smokey to let them record it]?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Where do these guys get thier info..on my girl[the temps begged smokey to let them record it]?
    That is not true at all which makes the entire list suspect in my opinion!

Smokey brought that song to them while they were appearing at the Apollo in NYC.

It's just a radio station, an oldies one I assume, that has been running this for years on end. I had heard Ain't No Mountain High Enough was slipping some.

It's great because it features all the hits from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Probably from Wikopedia which says this:

After some persuasion from Ruffin's bandmates, Robinson had the Temptations record "My Girl" instead of The Miracles, who were originally to record the song, and recruited Ruffin to sing the lead vocals. According to Robinson, he allowed the group to create their own background vocals "because they were so great at background vocals". The signature guitar riff heard during the introduction and under the verses was played by Robert White of the Funk Brothers. This part can be heard without vocals on the 2004 Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack from the 2002 documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

After some persuasion from Ruffin's bandmates, Robinson had the Temptations record "My Girl" instead of The Miracles, who were originally to record the song, and recruited Ruffin to sing the lead vocals. According to Robinson, he allowed the group to create their own background vocals "because they were so great at background vocals". The signature guitar riff heard during the introduction and under the verses was played by Robert White of the Funk Brothers. This part can be heard without vocals on the 2004 Deluxe Edition of the soundtrack from the 2002 documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

That is entirely wrong! Smokey himself has said numerous times that he wrote "
    My Girl" specifically for the Tempts David Ruffin. Of course Otis said that he himself did not like the song until he heard the instrumentation provided by the Funk Bros. once they got back to Detroit and then he concluded that the song would be a monster smash! Whoever wrote that for Wikipedia, needs to go and speak to Smokey and Otis Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

Good eyes Milven.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is entirely wrong! Smokey himself has said numerous times that he wrote "
    My Girl" specifically for the Tempts David Ruffin. Of course Otis said that he himself did not like the song until he heard the instrumentation provided by the Funk Bros. once they got back to Detroit and then he concluded that the song would be a monster smash! Whoever wrote that for Wikipedia, needs to go and speak to Smokey and Otis Williams.
    Obviously if Otis said that it must be trueLOL,He is as factual as his other background singer friend Mary Wilson,i reckon Milven post to be more fact.just sayin'.

I don't have a problem with this list except where in the hell did "Waterloo Sunset" by The Kinks come from? Must've been a regional hit up there.