[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway - When I'm Gone Live

No better way to start the day than with the lovely Brenda Holloway! Here she is singing "When I'm Gone."

From "Shindig" - originally aired 5/12/65

Cool video, no_place_like_motown. Here's another YouTube Brenda Holloway video performing "Every Little Bit Hurts" on American Bandstand, originally posted by NRRArchives2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZf_rppcnm8

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    No better way to start the day than with the lovely Brenda Holloway! Here she is singing "When I'm Gone."

From "Shindig" - originally aired 5/12/65

you just made my day dear. Thank you.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

It never occurred to me before how dang young Brenda was when she hit with Every Little Bit
    Hurts. 17 with the pipes she released on that song?...That doesn't happen much these days, does it? Brenda, the Hutchinson sisters, Aretha...those girls had fully developed instruments
    before they were old enough to marry without parental consent...

Nplm & Gary - Beautiful videos! The early ones have such immediacy to them, the talent is just so undeniably there. Great stuff. Many thanks for posting.

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;255816][B]Cool video, no_place_like_motown. Here's another YouTube Brenda Holloway video performing "Every Little Bit Hurts" on American Bandstand, originally posted by NRRArchives2.

Thanks, Gary for that wonderful addition. Now, let's have a Brenda-filled day! Here she is performing her second single, "I'll Always Love You" on AB:

I always wondered what or when was the turning point in Brenda Holloways recording career? Was it when she left Motown?

Brenda had it, looks and talent. Crazy that she never made it bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Queen View Post
    Brenda had it, looks and talent. Crazy that she never made it bigger.
    She was one of the more talented female vocalists to record for Motown. So talented that Berry Gordy ordered Diana Ross to study Brenda's recordings in order to learn phrasing!

No_place_like_motown and Methesulah2 -- Thanks for the compliments, and thanks for sharing. This is what makes the Motown Forum so.much fun for me!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She was one of the more talented female vocalists to record for Motown. So talented that Berry Gordy ordered Diana Ross to study Brenda's recordings in order to learn phrasing!
    Yes, Marv, Brenda Holloway's undeniable talent was right up there with Kim Weston's.

I, too, had read that Berry made Diana listen to Brenda's recordings, but I'm not sure if that happened just before "Meet The Supremes" or just after. I'm guessing it was after, as Diana's voice had greatly improved by the time that the "Where Did Our Love Go" album was released.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-25-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Yes, Marv, Brenda Holloway's undeniable talent was right up there with Kim Weston's.

I, too, had read that Berry made Diana listen to Brenda's recordings, but I'm not sure if that happened just before "Meet The Supremes" or just after. I'm guessing it was after, as Diana's voice had greatly improved by the time that the "Where Did Our Love Go" album was released.
    It was during 1964-65 while Brenda was still on the label.

Anyone know who the background singers are?

RossHolloway Guest
    I thought it was both Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye who were given Brenda Holloway tapes to study how she enunciated her words while singing. Regardless, Brenda was/is one heck of a singer. Her Every Little Bit Hurts album is a classic.

Mr June, it's the Blossoms, with Darlene Love [[centre). I think they were resident on Shindig. And yes, Brenda' stunning. I think she was so unlucky not to make it bigger, I fear somewhat sidelined because of the Supremes' success [[and I don't mean to have a dig at the Supremes here).

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Mr June, it's the Blossoms, with Darlene Love [[centre). I think they were resident on Shindig. And yes, Brenda' stunning. I think she was so unlucky not to make it bigger, I fear somewhat sidelined because of the Supremes' success [[and I don't mean to have a dig at the Supremes here).
    That and the success of the Temptations, the Miracles, the Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, the Marvelettes. The Supreme's were not the only group to have great success at Motown during the Golden Era.

I'm thinking of the female acts, RossHolloway. Martha and the Marvelettes also had to take a back seat to the Supremes.

Can we include The Velvelettes to that list Soulwally?

Cal Street told me that on the Velvelettes mid-60's releases, the promotion guys would be suddenly called upon to change current plans and concentrate their efforts into the Supremes releases.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I'm thinking of the female acts, RossHolloway. Martha and the Marvelettes also had to take a back seat to the Supremes.
    I don't think that it was a female vs female type competition for releases and promotion, but rather the company pushed what ever act was the hottest at the time and made more money for the company. I wonder why no one ever makes the argument for the male artists - would Shorty Long, Jimmy Ruffin, Tony Martin or Edwin Starr have been bigger acts if it were not for Marvin Gaye's or Stevie Wonder's success? Would the Contours have had greater success if the Temptations, Four Tops and the Miracles had not been signed to Motown?

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Can we include The Velvelettes to that list Soulwally?

Cal Street told me that on the Velvelettes mid-60's releases, the promotion guys would be suddenly called upon to change current plans and concentrate their efforts into the Supremes releases.
    I'm pretty sure it was because by the mid 60's the Supreme's were proven money makers. It's like today, whatever label Beyonce is signed to there are plenty of talented acts on the same label who do not recieve the same type of material, releases or promotion as Beyonce does - because Beyonce is a PROVEN money maker for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I thought it was both Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye who were given Brenda Holloway tapes to study how she enunciated her words while singing. Regardless, Brenda was/is one heck of a singer. Her Every Little Bit Hurts album is a classic.
    First I heard of Marvin being delivered tapes of Brenda for him to study phrasing. Judging from what Motown associates have said about Marvin, he had the phrasing down pat but Diana was a diamond in the rough so I can believe it in Diana's case...

The fact she was only 17, 18 at the time singing like a woman over 25 is impressive enough!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I don't think that it was a female vs female type competition for releases and promotion, but rather the company pushed what ever act was the hottest at the time and made more money for the company. I wonder why no one ever makes the argument for the male artists - would Shorty Long, Jimmy Ruffin, Tony Martin or Edwin Starr have been bigger acts if it were not for Marvin Gaye's or Stevie Wonder's success? Would the Contours have had greater success if the Temptations, Four Tops and the Miracles had not been signed to Motown?
    Yeah. Whoever made the most cash for the label were usually the ones promoted, which is why the Supremes towered over everyone else and why Marvin, Stevie, the Temptations, Miracles and Four Tops were seen as true moneymakers while the more second tier acts were almost forgotten about or had to do the chitlin' circuit-esque Revues once the established acts graduated from there.