[REMOVE ADS]

Is it just me......

Or are many of you getting a little tired of all the Ebola press? It seems no matter when I turn on any given news program, they are hacking on that. The only change now will be, I see there was another school shooting. Terrific.

It's called news ralph,and you know the press is gonna play it up,and wear it out.

I think they succeeded in the wearing out department, arr&bee.

thomas96 Guest
    Yeah, the whole press conference thing with the nurse was pretty ridiculous.

I am sooooooooooooooooo tired of it! It's supposedly landed here in New York now and it is talked about 24/7!

smark21 Guest
    Depends on which coverage you're discussing. The kind meant to stir people into hysteria and fear and keep them glued to their sets, yes, that coverage is awful and useless.

But some coverage is informed and meant to convey information and give the public tools necessary to know the risks and what's being done [[such as development of efficacious treatment options, or the work of caregivers), that's useful and we need more of it and less of the cheap sensationalism.

Due to the fact that I don't watch tv anymore [[aside from youtube re-runs) or listen to talk
    radio I am not bombarded with coverage of the ebola crisis as you, Ralph and most others
    on the forum are. Still, I'd rather hear, read or see relevant updates of what could turn into
    a major life threatening problem for large numbers of people nationwide if this thing is left
    unchecked. I'm more bothered by people trying to get me to watch some stupid "reality show" or attend some event which I have absolutely no interest in.....

It seems to be losing its prominence over here, and they're getting back to ISIS. Equally depressing, of course.

All threats to national security should, of course, be fully recognised and addressed by government, which then should keep the public informed.

Apart from that, the extent and frequency of information made available to the public, by the media in general, can have a marked effect, to varying degrees, on the minds of individuals. While not to be complacent about any threat, the fear and anxiety created would very often seem out of all proportion to the actual risk at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Or are many of you getting a little tired of all the Ebola press? It seems no matter when I turn on any given news program, they are hacking on that. The only change now will be, I see there was another school shooting. Terrific.
    I know I am. I stopped watching the news for a week because of it. But, some people are still running around scared, and the republicans are trying to blame Obama for it.

I'm tired of everything that headlines the national news these days: ISIL, Ebola, the weather, brush fires, etc. The thing that bugs me with the Ebola is how the news is inflaming the situation instead of broadcasting facts about transmission and vector possibilities. The local and national governments aren't helping.

On one hand, the science shows that the virus cannot survive after six hours outside the body. On the other hand, everybody who is suspected of having it will have his residence firebombed and his possessions destroyed. Why not quarantine their stuff long enough to know that there's nothing there? It's overkill to the point of BS and all it does is make people panic.

There are people out there who will think i'm playing the "race card", but I think the hysteria is heightened by the fact that this virus originates from Africa. That's why the republicans are so quick to want to ban flights from most of those countries. They want to lock down our southern border with Mexico, but they never say anything about the Canadian border, as if ISIS people and ebola-infected people would never come from there!

News ain't news.

It is play a topic till ad nauseum

edafan

I saw a doctor interviewed on TV regarding the Ebola scare. He mentioned that nobody seemed to concerned about the 350,000 Americans that will die of the flu this year.

Ralph, many of the people who are scared to death of Ebola are at KFC eating through their anxiety even though they have significant issues with diabetes and family history of heart disease. After they finish eating, they will head out to have unprotected sex with someone they'll meet at a bar. After having four beers and two shots of Old Granddad, they'll head to a motel while making sure to stop by the Seven Eleven to buy a box of cigarettes.

But let's get back to talking about Ebola. Somebody should do something about that...

Heh! Right on, Jerry! Don't forget the incidental contact with the kid with strep throat at the grocery store.

If my wife hears someone sneeze in the next aisle of the grocery store, she grabs my arm and pulls me two aisles the other way. She doesn't want to 'walk through their air'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    If my wife hears someone sneeze in the next aisle of the grocery store, she grabs my arm and pulls me two aisles the other way. She doesn't want to 'walk through their air'.
    Never thought about that! What a great way to keep the aisles clear so I don't have to fight people who stand in the middle and won't move!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Never thought about that! What a great way to keep the aisles clear so I don't have to fight people who stand in the middle and won't move!
    It's also a great way for a cashier to earn a little break on a busy day. Hacking and coughing like you throwing up a lung will clear your lane in record time in the Age of Ebola.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    It's also a great way for a cashier to earn a little break on a busy day.
    Don't count on it! That's not the way it works.

LOL. It will when we're all walking around with surgical masks a la Michael Jackson. It's going to make hanging at the singles bar a life or death proposition for a lot of hypochondriacs out there.

I think the majority of people are more intelligent than being fearful. The media always gives attention to the most ignorant and extremes in our world. That magnifies the importance of these people and makes it seem like they are larger in numbers.