[REMOVE ADS]

The Originals - Baby I'm For Real Live!

The Originals' first big hit, a truly beautiful song that still gives me goosebumps whenever I play it. Written by Marvin & Anna Gordy-Gaye.

We know that the Originals did b/g vocals for other Motown acts; some that I recall were "Chained" by Marvin Gaye; "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" by Jimmy Ruffin; "Here Comes The Judge" by Shorty Long; and "For Once In My Life" by Stevie Wonder. Can anyone confirm if they were on "War" by Edwin Starr? I know there were others, but the memory isn't as good as it used to be! LOL Chime in, folks!

The singer whose sessions they seem to be on more than most is Edwin Starr. They're all over his 25 Miles and War and Peace albums. Also, I can hear them on Marvin's Tear It On Down... which they did their own different version of.
    Listen to them on the beautiful I'm Still A Struggling Man...

The Originals are one of the great, underrated Motown groups [[they also never were invited to "Motown 25"!). When you hear the guys sing individually as in the above clip, you can see that they were all great singers. I wonder if it were a case of too many great singers at the same company as to why they were not elevated and promoted?

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    The singer whose sessions they seem to be on more than most is Edwin Starr. They're all over his 25 Miles and War and Peace albums. Also, I can hear them on Marvin's Tear It On Down... which they did their own different version of.
    Listen to them on the beautiful I'm Still A Struggling Man...
    I love it, Soulwally! One of my favorite tunes by Edwin. Thanks...

Soulwally said..Also, I can hear them on Marvin's Tear It On Down

Here it is:

And hear they are with their version

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    Soulwally said..Also, I can hear them on Marvin's Tear It On Down

Here it is:

This is nice. I've never heard this before. It is quite different from the version by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.

Around 1971, I went to a concert at a college which was to have starred The Undisputed Truth. For some unknown reason, Motown sent The Originals instead. The guys were fantastic, and they put on a typically-professional, highly-polished Motown performance. I was so glad that I had the opportunity to see and hear The Originals live and in-person.

Here's Hank Dixon, the sole surviving Original, and daughter Terrie performing in a clip uploaded on youtube earlier this year. The club is somewhat noisy, and the band setting up while Hank performs to a backing track, doesn't help. But Baby I'm For Real in particular still grabs. The audience are certainly appreciative.

...and this performance gets me every time. RIP Freddie Gorman, Walter Gaines [[looking frail but doing his part well in this clip), and CP Spencer, who didn't make it this far.

And backing vocals on David Ruffin's "My Whole World Ended"....... watch David's moves on this performance!