[REMOVE ADS]

Did The Spinners' Billy Henderson take any leads?

I've been going through the Spinners Atlantic-era albums, and I've heard spotlights for all of the five singers except Billy Henderson, though Pervis Jackson's are few and far between. As the title of the post says, did Billy take any leads throughout the group's history?

I always wondered that myself! When I saw the group perform It's a Shame with Phillipe Wynn, I expected him to do the falsetto parts. But Henry Fambrough took that part. I read were Thom Bell would take his place in the studio because he couldn't sing. Though he did play a pivotal role in the dancing department.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I always wondered that myself! When I saw the group perform It's a Shame with Phillipe Wynn, I expected him to do the falsetto parts. But Henry Fambrough took that part. I read were Thom Bell would take his place in the studio because he couldn't sing. Though he did play a pivotal role in the dancing department.
    I also read where Bell didn't think he could sing, not sure on that. I also read that "Games People Play" -- or officially "They Just Can't Stop it [[Games People Play)" -- has leads for all five singers. I couldn't find Billy in that recording.

That said, Billy is the guy who founded the group, kept things together. Unfortunately, there was a falling out late in his life and he was dismissed from the group he founded. I never found out why, guessing it was finances as always.

I always liked him.

Hi!

You'll find a bit on Billy here

http://www.soulexpress.net/deep304.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi!

I talked to Billy still one year later, in 2005, and actually that was the last time. By then he had formed a group called "Spinners Part Too!" He was the manager. The group included his oldest son, Charles F. Ross Henderson, the son next to him, William Sterling Henderson, and outside the family: Harold Montgomery, Linwood Peacock and Johnny Hodges. Harold and Linwood came from a group called Powerful Source, and Johnny had been a member of Louisiana Purchase and the Swiss Movement.

Those days they used to work senior homes and similar places, but I don't think the group existed for very long. William [[Billy) Henderson passed in February 2007.

Best regards
    Heikki

I wish we knew more about these singers. All the online obituaries are the same and just mentioned bandmates and hits and the legal troubles with the group late in his life. Here's a thread from this site that's good:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/136955/1...tml?1171090270

* First time I saw the group in concert was late, 1999 or 2000 for me, considering I'd been a fan since 1973 it was a long time coming. I waited after the show and was about 30 feet away from their limo and the security gal wouldn't let me go over to have them sign a CD. I saw Bobbie Smith, Pervis Jackson, and G.C. Cameron [[who was filling in for John Edwards). I gave up, went back to my seat in the outdoor stadium. Out walks Bill Henderson and he's just a few steps below me, but I froze and didn't know what to do. I regret it today.

Anyway, seemed like a great guy from what I heard. All I know is he had a son or some sons and I think was married to a doctor. Like I said, wish I knew more about these guys and more of our soul legends.

Heikki's multi-part magazine piece on The Spinners is the definitive work on the group and there's more on Billy in there, I'll have to re-read it. It's the closest thing out there to a book on the group and is fantastic.