[REMOVE ADS]

It's Summer! Paul's last or Richard's first?

It's pretty much well- known that The single version of "It's Summer" was done as a quartet. And it's been stated that this was Paul Williams final apperence on a Temptations song. Otis stated in his book that the track was recorded prior to The Ricky Owens debacle [[in which Paul was present for at least one of the shows). However, other source say it was cut after that. And it sounds a lot like Richard singing the second verse with Dennis. [[though it could be Otis). Sadly, Paul's voices had deteriorated to the point that he's barely audible on many of the 70-71 tracks. So was this really Paul's last song with the Tempts, or Richard Street's debut?
    Last edited by jboy88; 10-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Oh this is an excellent question!

I've seen another still from that same performance with Ricky! In that one, Paul really looked out of it. I assumed Otis was backstage crying based on the abysmal performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I've seen another still from that same performance with Ricky! In that one, Paul really looked out of it. I assumed Otis was backstage crying based on the abysmal performance.
    Jboy88........one moment please!

Here's a few more shots of this particular show. The outfits even look like they were temporary gear......

So can you tell us where they were performing and why Otis really was absent? These images strike a lot of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    So can you tell us where they were performing and why Otis really was absent? These images strike a lot of questions.
    Ya know I don't know. Someone sent me those pics a while back and I never thought to ask where they were at time. We know that Rickey only lasted a few months. I recalled reading in Otis' book that he was hospitalized for something , but I can't remember why either. I'm sorry.

Interesting pix. I've only ever seen the posed shot with Owens in the group before.

smark21 Guest
    I apologize for throwing this thread off track, but why was Ricky Owens time in the group so short? I remember reading Otis Williams' book and he didn't really go into any detail about this,as I recall.

i heard that Ricky messed up during live performances. but getting back to topic, i always heard that Paul was going to continue with the tempts after eddie left so i assumed he was on Its summer

Here's the story on Ricky from Otis Williams..... chapter 7 page 152

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=K...ATIONS&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Here's the story on Ricky from Otis Williams..... chapter 7 page 152

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=K...ATIONS&f=false
    Oh, yes, now I remember reading that passage. That "each window, my day..." has stayed with me through the years!

I've never seen these pics either.

I thought Paul left the group when Eddie left.

To answer the original question of this thread, "It's Summer" is Paul Williams last recording with the Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    To answer the original question of this thread, "It's Summer" is Paul Williams last recording with the Temptations.
    Hey, Marv....Thanks for the pictures!!!!One of them was used in Motown 40!!!! maybe Mrs. Depase sent them to YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Hey, Marv....Thanks for the pictures!!!!One of them was used in Motown 40!!!! maybe Mrs. Depase sent them to YOU!!!
    Dvus, you are most welcome and I DON'T THINK SO!!!! hehehehehehehehe..............