[REMOVE ADS]

Forbes reports no recordings have gone platinum in 2014

A Trend that started 25 years ago and continues; it took the retirement income of many artists away.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  21.1 KB
    This is a big problem for the recorded music industry and also the literature and cartooning industries. We cartoonists and writers need to sell our work more and more, over The Internet because people want digital copies, and don't want to store physical books anymore, and the non-originals of art-"prints" in the past, can now be sent digitally, and printed by the purchaser. The problem with this method is that these products can be desired by groups of friends who can pool their funds, and purchase only one copy, and can share it with an unlimited number of people. In addition, savvy hackers can steal products available online without paying. If the trend keeos up, it may be difficult for many artists to make a living.

The year isn't over yet. Taylor Swift's new album hits the streets next week, so...

The situation is understandable to me when you consider the role or lack of that radio plays in it. I started another thread about the current number one record in the country simply because I did not know and had never heard it. In the past, I would have heard the most popular songs for free and at most anytime over the radio. That clearly is not the case today. I had to seek out the current most popular song on the internet in order to hear it. Am I listening to the wrong radio stations? Maybe...........

When nothing but crap is available, then you'll get nothing but crap in return. MTV at one time played a big part in record sales and boosting the record industry.. but that's right!! MTV doens't play music videos anymore! MTV also was wonky and screwed up even in their heyday... I suppose radio does this, too. They would inexplicably just NOT play some artists. I was [[and still am) a big lover of freestyle, and they would play Lisa Lisa, but for some reason avoided Sweet Sensation like the plague, for whatever reason. I tested this theory, and watched MTV EVERY night, for a week, during prime time, 3 straight hours, and never saw Sweet Sensation come up ONCE, and this was the week that 'If Wishes Came True" was number one. The number one record in the country, and they didn't play it. The music business in general just baffles me most times.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    When nothing but crap is available, then you'll get nothing but crap in return. MTV at one time played a big part in record sales and boosting the record industry.. but that's right!! MTV doens't play music videos anymore! MTV also was wonky and screwed up even in their heyday... I suppose radio does this, too. They would inexplicably just NOT play some artists. I was [[and still am) a big lover of freestyle, and they would play Lisa Lisa, but for some reason avoided Sweet Sensation like the plague, for whatever reason. I tested this theory, and watched MTV EVERY night, for a week, during prime time, 3 straight hours, and never saw Sweet Sensation come up ONCE, and this was the week that 'If Wishes Came True" was number one. The number one record in the country, and they didn't play it. The music business in general just baffles me most times.
    Well then they are reaping what they've sown! I don't feel sorry for them in many regards.

There are more ways than ever to receive and listen to music; but as Robb points out "many people, most people, are not paying for it" and it doesn't sell; we just "take it".

That is, sadly, not surprising. Although CD sales are still relatively strong, the options to illegally download content, stream content, or cherry-pick individual songs are killing record sales. That's why all the money is in performing.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The year isn't over yet. Taylor Swift's new album hits the streets next week, so...
    Very funny, and, probably accurate...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Am I listening to the wrong radio stations? Maybe...........
    I listen to the local top 40 hits station and the hits channel on XM radio. They both play the song every hour, or so.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    That is, sadly, not surprising. Although CD sales are still relatively strong, the options to illegally download content, stream content, or cherry-pick individual songs are killing record sales. That's why all the money is in performing.
    CD sales are on a steady decline. There are a few die-hard CD buyers, but the sales of them are still dropping.

If it weren't for the ability for people to cherry-pick album tracks, sales would be worse than they already are. In fact, Katy Perry makes more money on the sales of the individual tracks from her albums than through the sales of her whole albums. The funny part is that it is cheaper to just buy the album!

Very funny, and, probably accurate...
    At least two singles from it have already been released, and they are popular. It looks like it may follow the pattern of Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" album. iTunes shows that more than something like 36 million downloads for U2's freebie album. If they had had a label deal, and marketed it, it probably would have sold well.

With such low sales in albums today, it seems almost pointless for anyone to record and issue a product anymore. If only there was a way to stop illicit downloading without having to use legal tactics, or ruin the playability or sound of the music...

I believe the recording industry made a mistake of just telling people copyright infringement is wrong. They should have made a better effort to teach people how it hurts the artists. However, a case could be made in support of the pirates. Many of them put in-demand stuff out there that the labels and/or artists won't or can't.

smark21 Guest
    The situation is understandable to me when you consider the role or lack of that radio plays in it. I started another thread about the current number one record in the country simply because I did not know and had never heard it. In the past, I would have heard the most popular songs for free and at most anytime over the radio. That clearly is not the case today. I had to seek out the current most popular song on the internet in order to hear it. Am I listening to the wrong radio stations? Maybe...........
    Do you listen to Z100 in NYC? They're the big hits radio station in the area. I read a couple of years ago Billboard reconfigured the formula for their Hot 100 chart. Sales and radio airplay are still part of the formula, but on line streaming service play and youtube hits also play factors. I guess if a song becomes an overwhelming youtube phenomenon and generates legal downloads then a song can go #1 without a lot of radio play.

With such low sales in albums today, it seems almost pointless for anyone to record and issue a product anymore. If only there was a way to stop illicit downloading without having to use legal tactics, or ruin the playability or sound of the music...

Is this why artists are not releasing very many albums and why some artists have trouble getting anything released or have to do it themselves?

There is a similar piece in a recent Time Magazine, about 3 pages. It makes reference to sales charts being pretty useless these days even if they use You tube hits and other popularity in other unpaid mediums in their calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Is this why artists are not releasing very many albums and why some artists have trouble getting anything released or have to do it themselves?
    Many artists are releasing albums and have been. Folks like Beyonce will drop an album without any prior notice or hype!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Do you listen to Z100 in NYC? They're the big hits radio station in the area. I read a couple of years ago Billboard reconfigured the formula for their Hot 100 chart. Sales and radio airplay are still part of the formula, but on line streaming service play and youtube hits also play factors. I guess if a song becomes an overwhelming youtube phenomenon and generates legal downloads then a song can go #1 without a lot of radio play.
    I've listen to it off and on stuck in traffic. Out on the Island it's WBAB and a few others. When killed KISS-FM and the Smooth Jazz station, I began to limit my commercial radio listening in New York.

smark21 Guest
    I only hear a radio station when I step into a store tuned to a station; I've aged out of the hit stations and the oldies stations have limited playlists. Usually stores are tuned to the Lite FM station. Which reminds me that Xmas is coming and those stations turn to an all holiday music not long after Halloween. I feel bad for employees in stores that keep the radio tuned to those all holiday Lite FM stations.

I've posted this before. Here is a GIF showing the change in musical trends over the last 30 years.

Here is a link for the snapshot of each year

http://www.gigwise.com/news/93624/he...ed-in-30-years
    Last edited by skooldem1; 10-21-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Good graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I only hear a radio station when I step into a store tuned to a station; I've aged out of the hit stations and the oldies stations have limited playlists. Usually stores are tuned to the Lite FM station. Which reminds me that Xmas is coming and those stations turn to an all holiday music not long after Halloween. I feel bad for employees in stores that keep the radio tuned to those all holiday Lite FM stations.
    You know what stations play some the best and most variety of music across the nation? The college radio stations! I think Hofstra and Adelphi both have stations in the NYC area. Many years ago I DJ'd on our campus radio station. They gave us so much freedom to play whatever we wanted in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I listen to the local top 40 hits station and the hits channel on XM radio. They both play the song every hour, or so.
    I get my new car tomorrow........YEAH!!!! It will have satelite radio in it! I will have it tuned to "Soul Town" and some of the others immediately!

I get my new car tomorrow........YEAH!!!! It will have satelite radio in it! I will have it tuned to "Soul Town" and some of the others immediately!
    But, XM radio isn't what it used to be. That channel used to be called "Soul Street", and had a much larger playlist.

that is so true, soulster, "Soul Street" was based in D.C. & the deejays had knowledge of the music. "Soul Town" is very limited and the hosts crack me up with their "wickipedia knowledge".This happened when XM & Serius merged.

And, the sound quality also took a dive, which is why I rarely ever listen to music on XM anymore.

From reports I have been reading, Taylor Swift's new album is on the fact track to becoming the first million-seller this year.

Marv2: if you have internet radio on your receiver you can listen to a lot of Smooth Jazz radio stations all over the world. I found my old favorite Love 94 from Florida and one from Tampa Bay ba.o.!