[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yeah, my brother found Dad's album by Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts. The name of the band should give you an idea of their mindset and general theme of their music. And I'll never forget moving down to Memphis in the mid-90s and seeing the southern bruhs rocking jheri curls [[still). They looked like they just stepped away from Boyz N Da Hood and apparently had the same idea about respect and how to make money as some of the characters in that film.
    I noticed that too about being down South that they were still wearing Jheri curls in the 90's for us/me I did it between 1981-83 after that , never again! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I noticed that too about being down South that they were still wearing Jheri curls in the 90's for us/me I did it between 1981-83 after that , never again! LOL!
    Middle-aged and older men are still doing it today.

That concert that is mentioned at the beginning of the article sounds like the one the twins [[Arthur & Albert Allen I think are their names) remarked on in a recording that might be in the first Hendrix bio movie. They mentioned that Hendrix came on playing distortion and weird sounds "and the audience replied right back with an egg up front." They go one to mention that the egg got Hendrix's attention and made him play a great set that fall evening in Harlem. The twins also said "Nobody knew who he was, they were here to see Big Maybell." This sounds like the same concert to me.

Even when he was playing in James Brown's band?

Jimi Hendrix never played in James Brown Band.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Jimi Hendrix never played in James Brown Band.
    Sorry, I meant in Wilson Pickett's band.

Anybody remember Hendrix ill fated experience as the opening act for The Monkees? Mike Nesmith had heard some recordings of the relatively unknown [[at that time) Hendrix, and convinced their promoter to hire Jimi as their opening act. At the first show, Hendrix came out and as he started performing, the kids in the audience started screaming for Davy Jones...even confusing the words of Foxy Lady, thinking Jimi was singing Foxy Davy...Hendrix quit the tour after a couple of shows and later remarked...I hate The Monkees...

The version that I heard involved Hendrix becoming frustrated with the screaming teens, unplugging his guitar, flipping off the audience, and walking off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The version that I heard involved Hendrix becoming frustrated with the screaming teens, unplugging his guitar, flipping off the audience, and walking off the stage.
    That's the bill that the Daughters of The American Revolution and some concerned parents complained about. The concert tour was all about wholesomeness and the Monkees. They didn't like Hendrix's reputation nor his sexual gyrations and general hippiness. Jimi's manager used the uproar to get publicity for the group. They also used the complaints as an excuse to get thrown off the tour as this crowd was made of of teeny boppers there for the Monkees. The kids that did get to see Jimi and the band no doubt got an eye full of something they hadn't seen before. Some probably became fans of Jimi right then and there.
    Last edited by mr_june; 11-11-2014 at 01:37 PM.