Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
Speaking of country, does anyone remember when it was a dying format? Kenny and Dolly put too much pop into it and it kind of became a joke in a lot of areas. Then came 'Urban Cowboy' and 'real' country came back with a vengeance. I knew a girl who went head over heels when that soundtrack was released. She went from being somewhat rural to more country than anybody I knew with her fashion and dancing. Next thing I knew, lots of disco/R&B clubs throughout the city became country clubs; cowboy hats and boots became vogue.

Culture shifted almost as drastically as it did when 'Saturday Night Fever' broke and exposed the mass public to disco. I don't begrudge anyone who likes a limited range of music or artists, but I'm grateful my mind opened up enough that I can listen to almost anybody and enjoy it, regardless of the genre.
Just like with the change of Ronald Reagan as the president, so did the entertainment. We went from disco dancing and dressing up to mechanical bull-riding and cheap Datsun mini- trucks.

I liked the film "Urban Cowboy" and the music, though. I couldn't relate to anything in the movie, but the music really wasn't that country. I mean...Boz Scaggs, a bluesman-turned blue-eyed soul singer, got a major hit out of it. I don't know how many Black folk got into that stuff. I don't even recall seeing any Black faces in that film, but I know some likes some of the music.