[REMOVE ADS]

Marvelettes - Don't Mess With Bill live

This has got to be one of my favorite Motown performances...the choreography is top notch, those steps are sooo perfect..and of course you gotta love those cute bow ties!!

From "Hullabaloo" - originally aired on 2/14/66.

One to enjoy, folks!

Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 10-18-2014 at 08:51 AM.

I love that performance too, Nplm. Cholly Atkins' choreography at full-tilt throttle for the marvelous Marvelettes. And they were marvelous! As was Cholly! In the documentary TWIST [[1991), Atkins explains the accentuated feminine movements he often liked to use in the routines he created. And this routine shows those movements--and The Marvelettes--to such wonderful advantage. Thanks so much for posting. It's a great way to start off Saturday.

Great performance from my girls[is wanda fine or what].

Are they singing live to a recorded track or lip synching? It's difficult to tell with these old videos. An ad lib at 1:40 makes me think it's live with the recorded track. Both the Marvelettes and Cholly Atkins outdid their selves with this delivery.

I think they are singing live to the prerecorded track. this is a good performance too bad they didnt do more tv shows

Thanks for posting one of my all-time favorite Motown videos. Wanda Rogers & The Marvelettes' performance and choreography for "Don't Mess With Bill" is so classy, so sexy, and so gorgeously Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I think they are singing live to the prerecorded track. this is a good performance too bad they didnt do more tv shows
    You are correct. The timing on certain phrases are a little different than on the record and the fade is definitely different. She never sings "Cause he's mine all mine...say it one more time," as she does on the record.

Great video! They're the best!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    You are correct. The timing on certain phrases are a little different than on the record and the fade is definitely different. She never sings "Cause he's mine all mine...say it one more time," as she does on the record.

Great video! They're the best!
    Note that Wanda also says "oh, yeah" at 1:41 which isn't on the original recording.

....and Gladys & Katherine add "No,no, no, no.." and "Don't Mess With Bill...." to the voices of The Andantes on the backing track, when they step up closer to their turned-down mike....

Don't even think about it. My girls are tough!

smark21 Guest
    Here's another performance of Don't Mess with Bill. Go up to 27:45 for the start. Lipsynched, but same choreography with Gladys really turning out the moves like nobody's Business. The Marvelettes could dance. Please Mr. Postman starts at 25:19.

Thanks for posting this classic Motown footage, smark21. I had seen this video before, and was going to post it on the Motown Forum myself, but I couldn't find it. I'm glad you did. The Marvelettes' "Don't Mess With Bill" performance is, once again, classy and sexy as ever!

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Man, the Marvelettes were some fine-looking ladies! Gladys especially is looking hot here! I think we forget just how chic and classy these ladies were.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Have Mercy on everyone who sees this! I got this dvd, saw this performance and showed it to so many of my friends, and everyone flipped over those moves! And these were people who weren't really into my Motown/Marvelettes obsession. Between Hullabaloo and Shindig, I prefer Shindig. BUT Hullabaloo and NBC gets huge props because they showcased the Marvelettes and Kim Weston and so many Motown artists. I also appreciate that they were treated like highly-revered stars.