[REMOVE ADS]

The marvelettes anthology-no booklet?what's up?

Most motown anthologies have a booklet with photos and a history of the group,but not the marvelettes,some nice pics on the inside cover but there should be a booklet,do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Most motown anthologies have a booklet with photos and a history of the group,but not the marvelettes,some nice pics on the inside cover but there should be a booklet,do you agree?
    I agree! The Marvelettes are the "Rodney Dangerfields" of Motown groups! LOL~!

Actually Motown had no plans to issue a Marvelettes Anthology. They didn't feel the group had any sales power. But the Carpenters hit big with Please Mr. Postman, so Motown rushed this out.

That LP album was released 39 years ago. Since then, The Marvelettes have released some excellent CDs including two box sets with extensive notations.

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumotownman View Post
    actually motown had no plans to issue a marvelettes anthology. They didn't feel the group had any sales power. But the carpenters hit big with please mr. Postman, so motown rushed this out.
    what???are you serious?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    That LP album was released 39 years ago. Since then, The Marvelettes have released some excellent CDs including two box sets with extensive notations.
    Yes but some people enjoy being bitter and feeling victimized forever.

Yes I was disappointed at the tine I purchased my copy of the Marvelettes double vinyl anthology set, and wondered if the Canadian version came without the booklet. As I had purchased all the others artist anthologies, the accompanying booklet was a big deal for me at the time. But, as previously stated above, the more recent CD box sets have more than made up for that oversight, and besides it was what was in the grooves that counted!

I was surprised when I bought the Anthology LP new when it came out, that there was no booklet HOWEVER, it was at the same time that the fake Marvelettes started making their rounds.The Anthology LP had plenty of pics of the group but ofcourse did not identify individual members.

Yes; there should have been a booklet for "The Marvelettes Anthology" just as they had for the other releases in the series . Perhaps Motown was trying to save money by not including one. And, "The Jackson 5 Anthology" [[released a year later in 1976) had no booklet either [[at least until the first CD release in 1986).

Although it is probably not considered an Anthology, in 1993 Motown released The Marvelettes: Deliver the Singles 1961-1971. This had a very informative 20 page booklet including group photos, records, sheet music, etc. It was written by Fred Bonson, author of the Billboard Book of Number One hits.

Unfortuantely, the Marvelettes Greatest Hits lp from 1966 did not identify the members of the group in the liner notes on the back cover. This helped the fake groups and so did this Anthology lp, which also did not identify the members.

I think that most of us who bought the lp knew the members,but
    it was just disrespectful not to include a booklet.

I dont know what Motown has against the Marvelettes. If anything they created the cash flow for Motown to continue and since Smokey had produced the Wanda years after Gladys left you would think that association alone would have guaranteed them a booklet or some sort of attention. Do they think there are no Marvelettes fans out there? Im sure by now they see the number of fans these women have? I would venture to say they have more DIEHARD FANS than Martha and the Vandellas. I remember when it came to nominations for the RRHOF the Marvelettes had more people writing letters to the hall than a lot of other well known groups. You cant tell me that Darlene Love has as many people writing letters or demanding induction. More people know who the Marvelettes are over Darlene Love [[whom I happen to like by the way). Im sorry I just dont like the way the Marvelettes have been treated over time.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I dont know what Motown has against the Marvelettes. If anything they created the cash flow for Motown to continue and since Smokey had produced the Wanda years after Gladys left you would think that association alone would have guaranteed them a booklet or some sort of attention. Do they think there are no Marvelettes fans out there? Im sure by now they see the number of fans these women have? I would venture to say they have more DIEHARD FANS than Martha and the Vandellas. I remember when it came to nominations for the RRHOF the Marvelettes had more people writing letters to the hall than a lot of other well known groups. You cant tell me that Darlene Love has as many people writing letters or demanding induction. More people know who the Marvelettes are over Darlene Love [[whom I happen to like by the way). Im sorry I just dont like the way the Marvelettes have been treated over time.
    I believe it may have had something to do with politics and the fact that the Marvelettes were not a part of the game.................