[REMOVE ADS]

Lift every song and count

This is for those with record collections,now how many of you have actually counted every song from every album you own?[no i'm not on the hooch]i'm just talking about a major undertaking[depending on the size of your collection]yes i'm about to embark on the count myself...how bout it?

Not gonna happen. Nope.

I've got 700+ albums, 200+ cassettes, and 1,000+ CDs. Add to that a few thousand digital songs, and I'll be 100 years old before I got done.

Jerry,only count the songs from the albums[you can do it]i have[1200]albums but i'm gonna count em all.

Good Lord! Should I be worried about what prompted you to do that? I'm now curious about mine, but I'd have to dig into some crates that are stored in some pretty frightening spaces to begin.

I now wish that I had cataloged my records when I purchased them.

thomas96 Guest
    That's crazy It'd take me weeks or months to do that. Don't care to really. A LOT describes it well enough I don't need a number.

I would have to be on the hooch if I tried counting them. I have a collection of right around 2,500 albums[[not including CDs and cassette tapes!) and I just can't ..............................hehehehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    good lord! Should i be worried about what prompted you to do that? I'm now curious about mine, but i'd have to dig into some crates that are stored in some pretty frightening spaces to begin.

I now wish that i had cataloged my records when i purchased them.
    calm down my friend,i'm just curious to know how many songs i actually have in all, a nice self motivation type thing.

I was just worried about you, homeboy. Let me know how many you have and how long it takes you to figure it all out. BTW: My computer currently contains 40.4 GB of data in the music folder and 12,848 files. I'm assuming that 1 GB and about 600 files are photos and information associated with the albums [[pictures of the covers, other info). That doesn't include my iTunes folder.

So I have at least 12,000 songs on the computer and likely another 14,000 songs in other formats.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 10-17-2014 at 02:39 PM.

About 55,000 songs. No joke. It was an easy estimate because I have all of my music on a server.

Did you digitize all of your music? Even your vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Did you digitize all of your music? Even your vinyl?
    Yup! All of em! It took me nearly a decade to accomplish this, but I did it, and i'm always adding more! I just added an Ashford & Simpson CD, and am about to restore a Spinners album. This past week, I downloaded over a thousand hi-quality album covers to upgrade my current collection.

That's truly impressive. I think I would cut corners and only convert the songs I recall liking, which would be a huge mistake. Last year I was blown away by 'Children of the Ghetto' by Philip Bailey and looked it up. It turns out that it was on an album I owned for more than 20 years. I listened to it initially, figured out the songs I liked on one pass, and didn't give the others a second chance. That approach allowed me to miss a song that I should have been playing for decades. The consequences of impatience...

I'll let you know what i come up with jerry,it's gonna be fun.

You're gonna run out of fingers and toes like I did. I couldn't count to more than 21 [[birth defect, long story) before I had to stop. Good luck my friend.

Does "Baby Love" count as a different item on every album it appears?

Oooooooooo, ooo ooo ooooo.....yes.......

It's not as difficult as you think.

There may be many versions of 'Baby Love' but there's only one real version. Counting cover versions and alternate takes should be off-base.

I keep it real simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    That's truly impressive. I think I would cut corners and only convert the songs I recall liking, which would be a huge mistake. Last year I was blown away by 'Children of the Ghetto' by Philip Bailey and looked it up. It turns out that it was on an album I owned for more than 20 years. I listened to it initially, figured out the songs I liked on one pass, and didn't give the others a second chance. That approach allowed me to miss a song that I should have been playing for decades. The consequences of impatience...
    My purpose isn't to just take what I like. I archive the entire album. So what if there's a song or two I don't like off an album? I want an exact copy of the album. I have also don't thousands of needledrops and recreated single edits. In many cases, I downloaded a song from a website or some dubious place. It's all archived. I can also use my archive of album covers and 45sd sleeves for tagging my collection.

Sounds good to me.