[REMOVE ADS]

Producers question: Ashford & Simpson

As we all know "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" was written by Ashford and Simpson. It was first recorded by Tammi Terrell with vocals by Marvin Gaye added after the fact. But this version was produced by Bristol & Fuqua. Later, Ashford & Simpson produced a totally new version of the song with Diana Ross. Does anyone know if Ashford & Simpson were ever given a shot a producing the original? Did they have any production input with Bristol & Fuqua? I wonder how they would have done it. Do you think it would have wound up sounding more like Diana's take? Thanks.

I'd say no it wouldn't sound like Diana's version. Nick Ashford said that he loved Diana's speaking voice, so they reworked the record to include those speaking parts.

thomas96 Guest
    Don't think so mowest.. Tammi and Marvin were initially assigned to Bristol and Fuqua.

Thanks, skooldem1, for posting the interview. It was very informative!

Did Stevie Wonder ever record or was produced by Ashford and Simpson?

I only know he played harmonica on their "Nobody walks in L.A."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Did Stevie Wonder ever record or was produced by Ashford and Simpson?
    I don't know of any specific titles. But I remember an interview where A&S said how challenging it was working with Stevie because during the session, they had to feed him the lines early enough so that he could sing them at the right time.

I forgot where I heard it, but I thought for the first year or so at Motown, Ashford & Simpson weren't allowed to produce their own songs. That's why we see Bristol & Fuqua producing a lot of the early Marvin & Tammi material and Holland & Dozier producing Syreeta's "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You." I don't know if it had to do with them not being established producers so Motown had those who produced hits work on their songs.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 10-17-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I forgot where I heard it, but I thought for the first year or so at Motown, Ashford & Simpson weren't allowed to produce their own songs. That's why we see Bristol & Fuqua producing a lot of the early Marvin & Tammi material and Holland & Dozier producing Syreeta's "I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You." I don't know if it had to do with them not being established producers so Motown had those who produced hits work on their songs.
    I believe they didn't initially have a producers' contract, only a songwriters' contract. Their first production [[I think) was AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING.

smark21 Guest
    Did they produce anything for The Marvelettes besides Destination Anywhere, an excellent record by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Did they produce anything for The Marvelettes besides Destination Anywhere, an excellent record by the way?
    They wrote YOUR LOVE CAN SAVE ME [[produced by Ivy Hunter) on the SOPHISTICATED SOUL album. They also wrote and produced YOU AIN'T LIVIN' TILL YOU'RE LOVIN'.

smark21 Guest
    Thanks Reese. Not crazy about Your Love Can Save Me, but You Ain't Livin till Your Lovin' seemed to be a winner for whomever recorded it--Marvin-Tammi; Wanda/Marvelettes; Diana/Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe they didn't initially have a producers' contract, only a songwriters' contract. Their first production [[I think) was AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING.
    I believe you are correct, Reese. It looks as if their first year at Motown was solely a songwriter's contract. "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing" was A&S's first production on 10/6/67; "Your Love Can Save Me" by the Marvelettes was the first song they composed on 10/27/66 [[produced by Ivy Jo Hunter), which is pretty close to a year before their first production.

I'm thinking there are still some songs in the can written by A&S that we hopefully will see on future releases so this info may change...

Is it possible that any demos were done by Ashford & Simpson singing the songs they wrote for Gaye & Terrell? Might there be any in the vaults?

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Is it possible that any demos were done by Ashford & Simpson singing the songs they wrote for Gaye & Terrell? Might there be any in the vaults?
    We do know that some of the songs they wrote were recorded for an LP that was scheduled to be released as "Nick And Val" on US Tamla 323 circa 1972. Here's the proposed track list:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Your Precious Love
    Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
    Isn't Love Supposed To Be Like This
    You're All I Need To Get By
    If You Don't Love Me [[One Day You Will)
    Oh Love Don't Make Me
    Remember Me
    Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand)

A&S appeared on the PBS show "Soul" on 10/11/1972 and they performed "Remember Me" and "Reach Out And Touch"; Valerie sang some of her solo recordings including the beautiful "Silly, Wasn't I".

http://www.thirteen.org/soul/oct-11-1972/

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post

A&S appeared on the PBS show "Soul" on 10/11/1972 and they performed "Remember Me" and "Reach Out And Touch"; Valerie sang some of her solo recordings including the beautiful "Silly, Wasn't I".

Quite often, when I visit the Museum of TV, I make a point of watching at least some of this appearance. Nick and Val have the entire hour to themselves and put on a great performance. The performance of STEAL AWAY with members of their church choir is a highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Quite often, when I visit the Museum of TV, I make a point of watching at least some of this appearance. Nick and Val have the entire hour to themselves and put on a great performance. The performance of STEAL AWAY with members of their church choir is a highlight.
    Dang! I had to bookmark that link so that I can watch later when I have time to watch the
    whole thing...

[QUOTE=no_place_like_motown;255047]We do know that some of the songs they wrote were recorded for an LP that was scheduled to be released as "Nick And Val" on US Tamla 323 circa 1972. Here's the proposed track list:

Your Precious Love
    Oh Love Don't Make Me
    Remember Me

Why in the world has this album not been released? With as hot as Ashford & Simpson became as performers, you'd think there would have been plenty of people who'd want this in their collections.

[QUOTE=
    Why in the world has this album not been released? With as hot as Ashford & Simpson became as performers, you'd think there would have been plenty of people who'd want this in their collections.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the Valerie Simpson vocals sounded too much like another femail singer and would have let the cat out of the bag!!

"Perhaps the Valerie Simpson vocals sounded too much like another femail singer and would have let the cat out of the bag!"

If she sang in her "natural" voice I don't think that would be an issue. Anyhow, after all these years...really?

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    We do know that some of the songs they wrote were recorded for an LP that was scheduled to be released as "Nick And Val" on US Tamla 323 circa 1972. Here's the proposed track list:

Your Precious Love
    Oh Love Don't Make Me
    Remember Me

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I love when they sing their compositions.

I seem to recall that the versions of their older songs were in a medley.

I stumbled across this interesting find while browsing through YouTube's Ashford & Simpson videos. It's Oprah Winfrey interviewing Valerie Simpson and her two daughters following the death of husband/father Nick Ashford, courtesy of OWN TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRAme5JtMWY

And also this segment of the interview between Oprah and Val, which is a bit more serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fw-Ur87VOY

Hope you enjoy. - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-25-2014 at 07:51 AM.