[REMOVE ADS]

The Back Story of SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER, Released 45 Years Ago

It was 45 years ago this week that the Supremes version of the song was released. Here is the interesting back story of the song, its origins, how it was intended for Jr. Walker, then Diana Ross, and finally the Supremes. This version of the story also tells who demanded the change of the Supremes name.

There are some parts of this story that I would disagree with. For instance, I think the Supremes came out of the gate stronger with their debut single than Diana did with her debut single as a soloist.

But it is an interesting story about one of my two favorite songs by the Supremes [[Yes, I am now aware that it was Diana and not the Supremes, but in my heart, it is the Supremes). My other favorite song by them is UP THE LADDER TO THE ROOF.

http://theboombox.com/diana-ross-sup...l-be-together/
    Last edited by milven; 10-14-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: provided wrong link corrected error

This link leads to a story about Carol Burnett guesting on Andy Cohen's "Watch What Happens" talk show. Where is the story about SWBT?

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    This link leads to a story about Carol Burnett guesting on Andy Cohen's "Watch What Happens" talk show. Where is the story about SWBT?
    Ooops ! Sorry about that, was posting about Carol in Clubhouse and accidently put wrong link here. Corrected the error in original post above.

PS. Check out the post about Carol in the clubhouse section. The video in it cracked me up

Loved that song! Here is one of my favorite performances of "Someday We'll Be Together"

Diana Ross did not insist on being given top billing. That was Gordy's idea. Ross just wanted out of the group.

you are right Diana just wanted out and Berry did an excellent job on picking "Someday" as the swansong. It was perfect !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    you are right Diana just wanted out and Berry did an excellent job on picking "Someday" as the swansong. It was perfect !!!!
    According to Shelly Berger, it was HIS idea that Someday be the Supremes farewell song with Diane.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  21.1 KB
    That's probably at least tied for my favourite Supremes' song -mainly because of Bristol's songwriting and production [[strings) and his great background singing on it. Too bad Motown didn't have more "accidents" leaving his demo singing in final recordings. I also like his solo singing for Motown, one of which appears in Ace/Kent's newest Motown release, "Satisfaction is Guaranteed".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  21.1 KB
    That's probably at least tied for my favourite Supremes' song -mainly because of Bristol's songwriting and production [[strings) and his great background singing on it. Too bad Motown didn't have more "accidents" leaving his demo singing in final recordings. I also like his solo singing for Motown, one of which appears in Ace/Kent's newest Motown release, "Satisfaction is Guaranteed".
    I am right with you Robb K! Johnny Bristol really made this record in more ways than one. He is terribly underrated! Great singer, excellent writer and producer. Oh good guy too.

Here's a sampling of some of Johnny's work:

[[Dance) Anyway You Wanta - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    [[Don't Break These) Chains Of Love [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-George Beauchamp) - Diana Ross & the Supremes
    [[I've Given You) The Best Years Of My Life - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Produced by Johnny Bristol
    A Man Is A Woman's Weakness - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / Diana Ross & the Supremes & the Temptations Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    At Last [[I Found A Love) - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Baby Don'tcha Worry [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol) - Johnny & Jackey / Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Backfire [[William 'Smokey' Robinson-Al Cleveland-Johnny Bristol) - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Betcha By Golly Wow - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Bill, When Are You Coming Home [[Pamela Sawyer-Johnny Bristol) - The Supremes Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Brain Washer - Jr. Walker & the All Stars [reissue version] Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Bring Back The Sunshine - The Velvelettes Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Can You Give Me Love With A Guarantee [[Johnny Bristol-W. Brown-D. Jones) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Can't Give It Up No More [[Johnny Bristol-D. Jones-W. Brown) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Carry Your Own Load [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - Johnny & Jackey Produced by Johnny Bristol / Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Change What You Can - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Choo Choo Train - Little Lisa Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Clinging To The Thought That She's Coming Back [[Johnny Bristol) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Come On And See Me [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / The Supremes Produced by Ivy Jo Hunter, Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Daddy Could Swear, I Declare [[Johnny Bristol-Merald Knight-Gladys Knight) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Deep In The Pit Of Your Love [[Beatrice Verdi-Doris McNeil-Johnny Bristol) - The Four Tops Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Discover Me [[And You'll Discover Love) [[Johnny Bristol-Beatrice Verdi-Doris McNeil) - Diana Ross & the Supremes Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Do You Love Me Just A Little, Honey [[Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock-Harvey Fuqua-Gladys Knight) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Do You See My Love [[For You Growing) [[Johnny Bristol-Robert Beavers) Johnny & Jackey / Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Don't Put Off Till Tomorrow What You Can Do Today [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - The Monitors Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Earthquake [[Johnny Bristol-Pamela Sawyer-Laverne Ware) - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Flower Child [[Doris McNeil-Johnny Bristol) - David Ruffin
    For Once In My Life - Martha & the Vandellas Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    For The Shelter Of Your Love [[Johnny Bristol-Pamela Sawyer-Joe Hinton) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Get Away Heartbreak [[Keep On Moving) [[Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock-Lena Manns) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol / Marvin Gaye Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Give A Little Love [[Harvey Fuqua-Clyde Wilson-Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Give In, You Just Can't Win [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    Good Lovin' Ain't Easy [[To Come By) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Gotta Hold On To This Feeling [[Johnny Bristol-Pamela Sawyer-Joe Hinton) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Groove And Move [[Johnny Bristol-Autry DeWalt Jr-Eddie Hollis) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol, Autry DeWalt Jr
    Groove Thang [[Johnny Bristol) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Help Me Make It Through The Night - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Here Are The Pieces Of My Broken Heart - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    He's My Kind Of Fellow [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Gladys Knight & the Pips / Brenda Holloway Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Hey Diddle Diddle [[Harvey Fuqua-Marvin Gaye-Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Holly Holy - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Hoy Hoy - Johnny & Jackey
    I Can't Believe You Love Me [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - Tammi Terrell / Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell / The Supremes & The Four Tops
    I Can't Go On Without You [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Sylvia Moy) - Tammi Terrell
    I Can't Help But Love You [[Robert Gordy-Thomas Kemp-Marvin Gaye) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I Can't Stand To See You Cry [[D. Jones-W. Brown-Johnny Bristol) Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Johnny Bristol
    I Don't Want To Do Wrong [[Johnny Bristol-Gladys Knight-William Guest-Merald Knight) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol / Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    I Just Wanted To Cry [[Edwin Starr-Johnny Bristol) - Edwin Starr
    I Know She's Not A Mannequin [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Shena DeMell) - The Temptations Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I Pray Every Day You Won't Regret Loving Me [[Johnny Bristol-Gladys Knight-Merald Knight) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol
    I Want Him/Her To Say It Again [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Gladys Knight-Merald Knight-William Guest) - Gladys Knight & the Pips / David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol

I Wonder Why [[Nobody Loves Me) - Billy Eckstine Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I Worry 'Bout You [[Norman Mapp) - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    If I Could Build My Whole World Around You [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock) - The Supremes & The Four Tops / Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    If This World Were Mine - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love [[Vernon Bullock-Johnny Bristol-Stephen Bowden-Harvey Fuqua-Gladys Knight) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I'll Follow You [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - Martha & the Vandellas Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I'll Never Stop Loving You Baby [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Beatrice Verdi-Mary Balnius) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I'm Someone Who Cares [[Johnny Bristol-Stephen Bowden-J. Chambers) - The Originals Produced by Johnny Bristol
    I'm Still A Struggling Man [[Harry McNeil-Johnny Bristol) - Edwin Starr Produced by Johnny Bristol
    It Happens Every Time - Barbara McNair Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    It Must Be Love Baby [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Allen-Johnny Bristol-Thomas Kemp) - Chuck Jackson & Yvonne Fair Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    It's All Over But The Shoutin' [[James Dean-Joe Hinton-Johnny Bristol) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    It's Going All The Way [[To True True Love) [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Shena DeMell-Beatrice Verdi) - Diana Ross & the Supremes Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I've Been Blessed [[Harvey Fuqua-Riley C. Hampton) - Billy Eckstine Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    I've Got A Need For You [[Johnny Bristol-C. Peters) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol
    I've Got To Find A Way To Win Maria Back [[Johnny Bristol) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    I've Got To Find Myself A Brand New Baby [[Suzanne dePasse-Terry Johnson-Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol / The Spinners
    I've Lost Everything I've Ever Loved [[Johnny Bristol-Thomas Kemp) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Just A Closer Walk With Thee - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Just Like You Never Loved Me [[Pamela Sawyer-Joe Hinton) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Just Walk In My Shoes - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Keep Off, No Trespassing [[Fuller Gordy-Johnny Bristol) - The Marvelettes Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Kissing In The Shadows [[Johnny Bristol-Robert White) - Johnny Bristol
    Let Me Hear You Say [[I Love You) [[Andre Williams-Johnny Bristol) - The Supremes
    Let's Go To A Movie Baby [[Billy 'Roquel' Davis-Johnny Bristol-Robert Beavers) - Johnny & Jackey
    Little Ole Girl, Little Ole Boy - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Lonely & Blue [[Billy 'Roquel' Davis-Johnny Bristol-Robert Beavers) - Johnny & Jackey
    Looking In The Mirror [[Beatrice Verdi-Martha Reeves-Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Martha & the Vandellas Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Make Him Come To You - Brenda Holloway Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Me And My Family [[Johnny Bristol-Gladys Knight) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Memory Chest [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Message From A Black Man - The Spinners Produced by Johnny Bristol
    More More More [[Clyde Wilson-Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    My Fatherless Son [[Vernon Bullock-Johnny Bristol-Jack Alan Goga-Pamela Sawyer) - The Four Tops Produced by Johnny Bristol
    My Life Can't Go On Without You [[Johnny Bristol-Pamela Sawyer-Leon Ware) - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    My Love Is Growing Stronger [[Johnny Bristol-Marv Johnson) - David Ruffin
    My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me) [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Pamela Sawyer-Jimmy Roach) - David Ruffin Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / The Spinners Produced by Johnny Bristol / Kiki Dee
    No One Else But You [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol) - Johnny & Jackey
    No One There [[Johnny Bristol-Jack Alan Goga-Annette Minor-Peter Green) - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Nothing Can Ever Come Between Us [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Cornelius Grant-Gladys Knight) - Chuck Jackson Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Oh Girl - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Johnny Bristol
    One For My Baby [[And One More For The Road) - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Pieces Of A Man [[Johnny Bristol-Pamela Sawyer) - David Ruffin
    Poor Little Rich Girl [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Sylvia Moy) - The Marvelettes Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Pucker Up Buttercup [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Danny Coggins) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Riding High On Love [[Johnny Bristol-Edwin Starr) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Right On Brothers And Sisters [[Johnny Bristol-Gladys Knight) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Sad Wedding [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Say When [[Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Shake Everything You Got [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Charles Barksdale) - The Contours
    Sho Don't Play - Johnny & Jackey
    She Should Have Been Home [[Johnny Bristol-Doris McNeil) - Edwin Starr
    Shut Up, Don't Interrupt Me [[Johnny Bristol-Edwin Starr) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars
    Since I Lost You Girl [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Warren Harris-Richard Street) - The Monitors Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    So Disappointing [[Robert Beavers-Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Johnny & Jackey

Someday We'll Be Together [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - Johnny & Jackey Produced by Johnny Bristol / The Marvelettes / Diana Ross & the Supremes / Earl Van Dyke / Eddie Kendricks
    Somethin' Stupid - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Starting The Hurt All Over Again - Brenda Holloway Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Stop What You're Saying [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol) - Johnny & Jackey
    Sweet Soul [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Take Me Girl, I'm Ready [[Johnny Bristol-Leon Ware-Pamela Sawyer) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Tears At The End Of A Love Affair [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Sylvia Moy) - Tammi Terrell
    Tell Me It's Just A Rumor Baby [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Vernon Bullock) - The Isley Brothers Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin - Gladys Knight & the Pips Produced by Johnny Bristol
    That's How It Is [[Since You've Been Gone) [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Vernon Bullock) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    These Eyes - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    These Things Will Keep Me Loving You [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Sylvia Moy) The Velvelettes Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Think Of The Times [[Norman Whitfield-Johnny Bristol) - The Velvelettes
    This Love Starved Heart Of Mine [[It's Killing Me) Marvin Gaye Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Too Smart [[Frederick Long-Johnny Bristol) - Shorty Long
    Twenty-Five Miles [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Edwin Starr-Jerry Wexler-Bert Berns) - Edwin Starr Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Two Can Have A Party [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol-Thomas Kemp) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol / Tammi Terrell
    Walk In The Night [[Johnny Bristol-Marilyn McLeod) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Way Back Home [[Wilton Felder-Johnny Bristol-Gladys Knight) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Johnny Bristol
    We Should Never Be Lonely My Love [[Harvey Fuqua-Mary Balnius-Johnny Bristol)
    Yvonne Fair Produced by Johnny Bristol
    We've Come Too Far To End It Now [[D. Jones-W. Brown-Johnny Bristol) - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Johnny Bristol
    What Does It Take [[To Win Your Love) [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Vernon Bullock) - Jr. Walker & the All Stars Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    What Good Am I Without You [[Sylvia Moy-Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - Gladys Knight & the Pips
    What Is A Man [[Johnny Bristol-Doris McNeil) - The Four Tops Produced by Johnny Bristol
    What More Could A Boy Ask For [[Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - The Spinners Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    What's The Matter [[Robert Beavers-Johnny Bristol-Frederick Long) - Shorty Long
    When I Feel The Need - Marvin Gaye Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    When Love Comes Knocking At My Heart [[Gladys Knight-Vernon Bullock-Harvey Fuqua-Johnny Bristol) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Where Is That Girl [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua) - The Spinners
    With Your Love Came [[D. Jones-W. Brown-Johnny Bristol) - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Yester Me, Yester You, Yesterday - Stevie Wonder Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin' - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    You Could Never Love Him [[Like I Love Him) - Barbara McNair Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    You Gave Me Love [[Johnny Bristol-Harvey Fuqua-Margaret Johnson) - Diana Ross & the Supremes / Jimmy Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol
    Your Heartaches I Can Surely Heal [[? Bristol-? Peters-? Purdue-? Peters) - David Ruffin Produced by Johnny Bristol / Gladys Knight & the Pips
    Your Love Grows More Precious Every Day - The Contours Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Your Precious Love - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    You've Got What It Takes - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol

…some of the best sounds Motown ever made …thank you Johnny Bristol

Wow! That's an extensive list that really took some time to put together. I loved Johnny's MGM hit, Hang On In There, Baby in the 70s.
    I know Berry Gordy intended to make Diana a star, but it could have been Diana too wanting her name out front--after all Smokey was, Martha was, Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle were too.

honest man Guest
    [QUOTE=rrussi;254433]Wow! That's an extensive list that really took some time to put together. I loved Johnny's MGM hit, Hang On In There, Baby in the 70s.Have to agree love his original version of Someday We'll be together also Motown products Through to 70s Memories don't leave [like people do ]Beautiful,also Love me for reason-Lala peace song.The man was so talented.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    Wow! That's an extensive list that really took some time to put together. I loved Johnny's MGM hit, Hang On In There, Baby in the 70s.
    I know Berry Gordy intended to make Diana a star, but it could have been Diana too wanting her name out front--after all Smokey was, Martha was, Gladys Knight and Patti LaBelle were too.
    We can thank our Grapevine for this great list of Johnny Bristol's work. Johnny to me is still very under recognized for his contributions.

Someday remains my favorite Supreme [[Diana) song. I always believed "These Things" would have been perfect as her solo release.

[QUOTE=marv2;254398]Here's a sampling of some of Johnny's work:

Marv, thanks for this list!
    Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 10-15-2014 at 03:53 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEOMB6jyEE

I enjoyed this performance more than the Ed Sullivan appearance. I won't tell you who I thought was singing Johnny Bristol's part before I actually saw them on stage singing.

I won't tell you who I thought was singing Johnny Bristol's part before I actually saw them on stage singing.
    I thought it was Mary for the longest time [[sure it's a deep voice but I guess I wanted to believe...)

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I thought it was Mary for the longest time [[sure it's a deep voice but I guess I wanted to believe...)
    Mary sings all the parts now! LOL!

LOL I am soooooooo glad I am not the only one. I swore for the longest that it was Mary singing Johnny's part and then found out years later she was not even on the record.

Is there a chance that Johnny's original version with Jackey will ever appear on a Motown-related cd? Is it available?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    Is there a chance that Johnny's original version with Jackey will ever appear on a Motown-related cd? Is it available?
    Tri Phi was bought by Motown, but it may have been released on some compilation albums in the past. It is on You Tube. I never knew that it was an old song when the Supremes version came out.

It interesting to hear the roots of the song, but I like the Supremes version 1000% more.

Me too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    The Johnny & Jackie version was included in the CD "A Family affair - Motor City Roots" released last year. Contains lots of tracks from artists before they joined Motown - Spinners, Jr Walker, Lamont Dozier and David Ruffin.

Available on Amazon Uk - £6.52 - a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Me too!!!!

Me too! I often wonder how I could have believed that for so long.

the las tsupremes song was going to be REFLECTIONS originally as this was the song released after Flo was dismissed. story goes she [[Flo) would come back for a farewell tour and Diana would go solo there after .obviously that did not happen and group continued with CB.