[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Live

Great video from GK&TP performing "The Masquerade Is Over & I Heard It Through The Grapevine" live at the 1969 Harlem Festival. The video quality is excellent. I could watch this over and over!

Enjoy, folks!!

I'd seen the Grapevine portion before but not the first two and a half minutes or so, which sets up their big hit perfectly. Gladys shows, as ever, she's an incredible singer, and the Pips are great too. Maurice King directs the band.

One of the best live acts ever!!!

Great clips. Some of the Pips moves reminded me of the Marvelettes clip from the 1963 Apollo performance.

I love Gladys Knight and the Pips.

Bubba is so distracting and William is the smooth one. Not sure how to describe Edward's dancing. I barely pay attention to his dancing because the other two are so lively [[I hope I chose the correct adjective). I hate the fact that I never saw the group perform live.

I love the routines during William's lead vocal section on Friendship Train. Gladys joins the Pips on that part.

Check it out at about 2:04

I remember them doing the song and routine on the Andy Williams Show. There was a big locomotive that was part of the backdrop, and the Pips were on the platform bit that went across the top of the wheels of the locomotive. It was bouncing up and down so much it looked as if it were about to give way.
    I always pair Friendship Train with You Need Love Like I Do, from the same period, in that they're great, rhythmic songs that are hopelessly unknown to all but us lot.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I remember them doing the song and routine on the Andy Williams Show. There was a big locomotive that was part of the backdrop, and the Pips were on the platform bit that went across the top of the wheels of the locomotive. It was bouncing up and down so much it looked as if it were about to give way.
    I always pair Friendship Train with You Need Love Like I Do, from the same period, in that they're great, rhythmic songs that are hopelessly unknown to all but us lot.
    So do I but that's because those 2 tracks were released as one 45 in the UK.

Not seen that Andy Williams clip...sounds like one I want to see

Yes, of course they were on one single over here, I'd forgotten that. I've looked on youtube for that Andy Williams clip but can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Yes, of course they were on one single over here, I'd forgotten that. I've looked on youtube for that Andy Williams clip but can't find it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_ukeSFfNU

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I love that clip especially near the end when the audience gets up to dance. Thank you Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    What a great find, Reese. I can never get enough of GK&TP! Thanks.

No problem, guys.

I think "Friendship Train" reached #17 on Billboards HOT 100 & "You Need Love Like I do" only made it to #32 But I like "You Need Love...." so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I think "Friendship Train" reached #17 on Billboards HOT 100 & "You Need Love Like I do" only made it to #32 But I like "You Need Love...." so much better.
    I think YOU NEED LOVE... hit something like #25 or #27, but I like it better also.

When I got my first record player, it was included in one of those 3 for $.50 bundles that they used to sell at Woolworths.

You're a better hunter than me, Reese... But I was right about the bouncing board.