[REMOVE ADS]

These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

What a great tune TTWKMLY is!

Originally recorded by the lovely Velvelettes in 1966 and produced by Harvey Fuqua & Johnny Bristol [[here's their live version from "Swingin' Time"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRX2ZoWCjjQ

Velvelettes' version w/ alternate lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbru6s9Vxng

Diana's take recorded in 1970 w/ b/g vocal and production by Johnny Bristol [[extended version by Baby Bollox):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQq1ECKaQk

and finally, the funky, gritty soul of Jr. Walker & The All Stars from their fine 1971 "Rainbow Funk" LP - done as a mid-tempo groover and produced, once again, by Johnny Bristol [[JB sure loved this song, huh!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEF0C9D4ZBU

Enjoy, folks!
    Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 10-11-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Oddly, I don't think I've ever heard Jr Walker's version until today and even though I liked it
    The Velvelettes for me will forever OWN that song. Not only was their release the best
    arrangement of it, Cal Street had a tear in her voice that perfectly suited it, hell, perfectly
    fit just about everything the group recorded. Motown fumbled the ball on that group...

thomas96 Guest

Here's Junior doing it live [[about 1:25 in this video)

Still think this should have been Diana Ross' first "solo" single - even though it was recorded at the same session as DRATS' Someday.

supremester Guest
    I like Cal's vocal, but the bg vocal track was too mamby pamby for 1966. I prefer Ross' version for sure, but wouldn't have led her solo career with it. If berry refused to release ANMHE, I think Reach out & Touch was the right choice. I think it could have hit had it been promoted. She did no TV and had limited live gigs - all in clubs. 3 shots on TV and it was top 5. I wonder if she was pissed that Someday got snatched from her solo career and given to DR&TS. Had Someday been a solo release, imagine how the story would have changed......

supremester Guest
    Cal has stated that they weren't looking to be professional singers - they were educated and wanted careers. I think if they had it, she'd have been happy to be a singer. She's a good vocalist, and looks good but I don't think she's distinctive enough to rise above the other good looking good singers. They should have gone to another label to hit - there wasn't enough A material for the three girl groups that Motown was already on.
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Oddly, I don't think I've ever heard Jr Walker's version until today and even though I liked it
    The Velvelettes for me will forever OWN that song. Not only was their release the best
    arrangement of it, Cal Street had a tear in her voice that perfectly suited it, hell, perfectly
    fit just about everything the group recorded. Motown fumbled the ball on that group...

Were the background singers on this recording the same as on "Someday?"

supremester Guest
    I don't think so - I believe The Andantes are on this. In Dreamgirl, Mary states that it is she and Cindy on Ross' track, but I don't hear them at all. More than likely, she saw a session log for the initial track recording assigned to JMC on Nov 5 '69 and assumed she was on it, but I'm pretty certain no vocals were done before it got reassigned to Diana a few days later. Mary's "diary" has many other inaccuracies, it's not hard to put this in that category.

I just played it again - I really think it's The Andantes. And i don't think it was a good initial single for Ross. It got some play after ANMHE dropped and there was no follow-up - and it sounded pretty good - maybe top ten good - but only on the strength of it's predecessor. By the time Remember Me came out [[2 months later) the momentum was gone and JMC had 2 songs climbing the top 10 & 20 at the same time. Motown seemed very hesitant to have both acts on the chart at the same time - to the detriment of both, I might add.

The Velvelettes' version was [[and still is) popular in the UK from the days before the dawn of the 'Northern Soul' era.

supremester Guest
    That's amazing - do they have other popular songs? I always thought He was really saying something was great record.

Cal Street is singing background with the Andantes.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    That's amazing - do they have other popular songs? I always thought He was really saying something was great record.
    Needle in a Haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    I don't think so - I believe The Andantes are on this. In Dreamgirl, Mary states that it is she and Cindy on Ross' track, but I don't hear them at all. More than likely, she saw a session log for the initial track recording assigned to JMC on Nov 5 '69 and assumed she was on it, but I'm pretty certain no vocals were done before it got reassigned to Diana a few days later. Mary's "diary" has many other inaccuracies, it's not hard to put this in that category.

I just played it again - I really think it's The Andantes. And i don't think it was a good initial single for Ross. It got some play after ANMHE dropped and there was no follow-up - and it sounded pretty good - maybe top ten good - but only on the strength of it's predecessor. By the time Remember Me came out [[2 months later) the momentum was gone and JMC had 2 songs climbing the top 10 & 20 at the same time. Motown seemed very hesitant to have both acts on the chart at the same time - to the detriment of both, I might add.
    Thanks, supremester, for your response. I appreciate your insights. I agree with you that this would not have been a good choice for an initial single. Now to listen to it again for the Andantes!

supremester Guest
    Did that hit in The UK? I know it's famous here but I don't know anyone who heard it on radio - probably will now, though. I think The V's songs are a bit dated sounding. Haystack, to me, would have been perfect for 1962., but to release it after The Beatles, supremes, Beach Boys and others had many hits with the newer sound, Haystack, Saying and These Things sound dated for late '64 and on. . Good records, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Needle in a Haystack.

supremester Guest
    On Ross' or The V's?
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Cal Street is singing background with the Andantes.

For me "Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I" is their best and a 100% girl group classic. It is/was a great disco hit in the UK [[and featured on "Motown Memories: 16 Non-Stop Tamla Hits" - this turned out to be the first volume of the "Motown Disco Classics" series. "He Was Really Sayin' Something" was so popular it featured on 2 volumes in this series. "Needle In A Haystack" has also long been a UK club classic.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Motow...elease/1916399

honest man Guest
    The original version of These Things ,,, can never be beaten by anyone even Diana's version though great, cannot ever beat Velvelettes,A TRUE MOTOWN CLASSIC fOREVER,CHEERS.

The Velvelettes have the superior version of this song hands down!

I like the Velvelettes version but I love the Diana Ross version better.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Ditto for me, too.

Both are real good versions but I also like Dianes better.

Roberta

I tend to like the first version I've heard best, and as the Velvelettes had a five year advantage, I much prefer their version.

the Ross version is the ultimate version and the one that the public actually heard [[courtesy of her fab debut album with ANMHE)..

Diana and Cal's take are so similar, I love them both.

Diana's version wins for me as well.

Likewise. Diana's does something to me. And the production is stellar...

smark21 Guest
    This is another good Velvelettes song: