[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It's a great Christmas or Birthday Present for a Motown Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    the power of mighty motown cannot be underestimated, mayb more product will be rolling out.

Tcb/ g.i.t. !!!!

I'm all for it, but I think this thread is a little misleading.

Where is it ranked on Amazon, or Billboard? Does Billboatrd even have DVD charts, LOL.

I know that it entered in the 40's on the StreetPulse Chart, I'll check on Billboard... bear in mind, there has been NO publicity/promotion for this release at all...so far, anyway..

Just got my 6 cd set. Very, very nice packaging.

I know that it entered in the 40's on the StreetPulse Chart, I'll check on Billboard... bear in mind, there has been NO publicity/promotion for this release at all...so far, anyway..
    I agree! For what little splash has been made about it, it's doing very well. Pretty promising with the holiday shopping season just around the corner. I think people tend to forget how well this did when it was originally aired; didn't it win several awards and was one of the top programs of 1983? Historically it's pretty important too.

I'm glad to see that Motown artists are appreciated just as much today as they were back in the heyday.

Here's a link to an article about the DVD and the show itself. It mentions how Eddie Kendrick was not invited but he could buy a ticket and sit in audience and it tells how other artists like Gladys Knight chose not to go

http://michronicleonline.com/2014/10...31-years-later

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Here's a link to an article about the DVD and the show itself. It mentions how Eddie Kendrick was not invited but he could buy a ticket and sit in audience and it tells how other artists like Gladys Knight chose not to go

http://michronicleonline.com/2014/10...31-years-later
    Yep! That's our local community paper in Detroit. I grew up reading it. I am happy to read that Steve acknowledge that some of the true Motown stars weren't even invited!

It's a great show, any one who doesn't want it is not obliged to buy it, but plenty of people are buying it..
    It was Suzanne De Passe's party, to invite who she did or did not want..the general public loved it, as did the critics and Emmy Award voters..
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 10-08-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yep! That's our local community paper in Detroit. I grew up reading it. I am happy to read that Steve acknowledge that some of the true Motown stars weren't even invited!
    Wow! What a wonderful positive attitude.

I am happy to read that Steve acknowledge that some of the true Motown stars weren't even invited!
    James Jamerson had to buy a ticket, too. What a shame !

Recently I began to re-watch my VHS then I realised that Martha Reeves, Mary Wells and Jr Walker only sang a few verses of a song, is that all they really did ? Or, is there more of them on the actual DVD version ?

I stopped watching the VHS when a country singer came to sing...Sorry but it's not Motown for me.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    James Jamerson had to buy a ticket, too. What a shame !

Recently I began to re-watch my VHS then I realised that Martha Reeves, Mary Wells and Jr Walker only sang a few verses of a song, is that all they really did ? Or, is there more of them on the actual DVD version ?

I stopped watching the VHS when a country singer came to sing...Sorry but it's not Motown for me.
    There isn't any additional broadcast footage on the dvd. There are some slightly different camera angles, and some changes in some of the montages. Also, the performance of T.G. Sheppard is gone. But for the most part, the show on the dvd is basicially the same as what was released on vhs back in the 80s.

For the new dvd, there are various featurettes, interviews, and rehearsal footage from Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. There is also an extended version of the songwriters' segment that appeared on the original vhs.

I'm assuming that Martha, Mary, Jr. Walker, and the Commodores sang their songs in full at the actual show, but they were edited for broadcast. In one of the featurettes on the new dvd, they show Mary's performance of MY GUY and you hear a wee little bit of the second verse, which wasn't on the broadcast version.

In her book, Martha says that she also rehearsed a number with Smokey, who stood in for Marvin Gaye. There was a photo of this in PEOPLE magazine, as well as a shot of Martha and Smokey in the booklet for the dvd. But the footage itself is not included.
    Last edited by reese; 10-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There isn't any additional broadcast footage on the dvd. There are some slightly different camera angles, and some changes in some of the montages. Also, the performance of T.G. Sheppard is gone. But for the most part, the show on the dvd is basicially the same as what was released on vhs back in the 80s.
    This is what I predicted and thank you for confirming it! She is basically re-issuing the 1985 "special edition with 20 additional minutes of never before seen moments....." minus TG Sheppard's, "There's a Devil In that Bottle"! So technically you are getting less stage performances than on the VHS! She went and fattening it up with all these interviews and different takes of Marvin Gaye rehearsing. Would have been nice if she had added interviews and comments from the artists left out of the original anniversary special like the Marvelettes, Brenda Holloway etc etc. etc......

The bottom line is not that many people still have a laser disk, or VHS copy of this show and if they did, they don't have a VCR anymore. That is ancient technology. People that have it on a bootleg DVD have 2nd and 3rd generation copies. This program is being remastered and offered on DVD. It is clear and the sound is great. If someone is happy with the old VHS tape they purchased, or the bootleg DVD they have then be happy. You purchased your copy in the old days, let people who want to enjoy this new DVD release with today's technology enjoy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    The bottom line is not that many people still have a laser disk, or VHS copy of this show and if they did, they don't have a VCR anymore. That is ancient technology. People that have it on a bootleg DVD have 2nd and 3rd generation copies. This program is being remastered and offered on DVD. It is clear and the sound is great. If someone is happy with the old VHS tape they purchased, or the bootleg DVD they have then be happy. You purchased your copy in the old days, let people who want to enjoy this new DVD release with today's technology enjoy it now.
    Also, "let the buyer beware"! There have been members here that wanted to know what was in the package before plopping down $90 bucks expecting to get one thing and ending up with another...................

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

For the new dvd, there are various featurettes, interviews, and rehearsal footage from Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. There is also an extended version of the songwriters' segment that appeared on the original vhs.
    Reese : thank you for your detailed reply. The songwriters' segment [[around the piano) is one of my favorite of the VHS.

Wow, 90 bucks is a lot of money. And they didn't even edited Adam Ant ?

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Well Walmart is selling the concert DVd real cheap and imo $12 is worth it for this great concert. http://www.walmart.com/ip/39254914

Bottom line if you like it you buy it and if you dont then save your money. Theres a few here that dont like Miss Suzanne De Passe and theyve got an a axe to grind which is wasted energy imo. Im looking forward to putting my feet up this weekend and watching this great concert that came to DVD after 31 yaers.

Fondly,

Roberta

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39254914

You're right Roberta, $12.00 is a good price.

Also, "let the buyer beware"! There have been members here that wanted to know what was in the package before plopping down $90 bucks expecting to get one thing and ending up with another...................
    Yeah, what BS. If it had Martha's and Mary Well's full performances plus Mary and Cindy's speech.. then I'd for sure plop down money to buy it. But as it is, no way! You know why that stuff isn't on there, don't ya? They would have had to pay Martha and Mary and Cindy to use footage not originally in the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Yeah, what BS. If it had Martha's and Mary Well's full performances plus Mary and Cindy's speech.. then I'd for sure plop down money to buy it. But as it is, no way! You know why that stuff isn't on there, don't ya? They would have had to pay Martha and Mary and Cindy to use footage not originally in the broadcast.
    Now you know that's the deal! She didn't even try to make this offering different and worthwhile. She's worked hard to exclude too many people and there are hardly any Original Motowners left as is.

Were "Motown 25" granted a multi-episode series like "The Beatles Anthology" maybe those artists could be captured. As revealed in "The Production Roundtable" there are lots of people who were once signed to Motown from Sammy Davis to Pat Boone. But in a 2 hour special even the groundbreaking Rare Earth with 3 gold albums and 4-5 Top 10 singles, let alone being the most successful white act once signed to Motown, are not featured...then that final editing decision was not easy. See the Jose Feliciano performance that was cut, though it was very possible going to reignite his career and sell some records.

Roberta you are right, I bought mine for $12.00 as well and that is a lot cheaper than what I paid for the VHS copy. Now I can put the VHS copy in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Were "Motown 25" granted a multi-episode series like "The Beatles Anthology" maybe those artists could be captured. As revealed in "The Production Roundtable" there are lots of people who were once signed to Motown from Sammy Davis to Pat Boone. But in a 2 hour special even the groundbreaking Rare Earth with 3 gold albums and 4-5 Top 10 singles, let alone being the most successful white act once signed to Motown, are not featured...then that final editing decision was not easy. See the Jose Feliciano performance that was cut, though it was very possible going to reignite his career and sell some records.
    Yeah well we from Detroit was hoping to see more of our hometown folk that actually built that company through their hard work and talent! Did we really need to see two Smokey & Linda Ronstadt duets? Adam Ant? Motor mouth John Mosheeda? How about those goofy dancers etc,etc, etc. They could have cut one song each from Stevie, the Tops N Tempts, Smokey to add other performers that were important to the Motown Story, but that was not of Suzanne DePasse's interest. She kept all those people off the show that were important to Motown's development without whom, she probably wouldn't have a job to begin with and would have been stuck as a nightclub "talent coordinator" which is probably all she was worth to begin with!

Yeah well we from Detroit was hoping to see more of our hometown folk that actually built that company through their hard work and talent! Did we really need to see two Smokey & Linda Ronstadt duets? Adam Ant? Motor mouth John Mosheeda? How about those goofy dancers etc,etc, etc. They could have cut one song each from Stevie, the Tops N Tempts, Smokey to add other performers that were important to the Motown Story, but that was not of Suzanne DePasse's interest. She kept all those people off the show that were important to Motown's development without whom, she probably wouldn't have a job to begin with and would have been stuck as a nightclub "talent coordinator" which is probably all she was worth to begin with!

Bottom line if you like it you buy it and if you dont then save your money. We get it this here forum that you that dont like Miss Suzanne De Passe so why are you wasting negatiove energy carping on and and and on about the Motown 25 DVD. Dont buy it. end of story really.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Roberta you are right, I bought mine for $12.00 as well and that is a lot cheaper than what I paid for the VHS copy. Now I can put the VHS copy in the attic.
    its a real good price CaptainJames.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Bottom line if you like it you buy it and if you dont then save your money. We get it this here forum that you that dont like Miss Suzanne De Passe so why are you wasting negatiove energy carping on and and and on about the Motown 25 DVD. Dont buy it. end of story really.

Roberta
    Why? Because I can?

If she were honest, she would say that she is only giving you [[as far as the actually television special goes.........) exactly what was released commercially 28-29 years ago minus TG Sheppard. That the bulk of this new packaging is stuff she dreamt up to fatten it up and charge an exhorbitant amount of money for! In her mind, if you want to see Michael Jackson "Moonwalk" again as he did on television that night in May of 1983, you're going to have to fork over $90 and sit through a bunch of stuff you could have done without for the priviledge! Good Grief Charlie Brown..................LOL!

Home » If You Missed It » Suzanne de Passe Talks ‘Motown 25′ DVD Release, Mary Wilson & Diana Ross’ Alleged Beef

Suzanne de Passe Talks ‘Motown 25′ DVD Release, Mary Wilson & Diana Ross’ Alleged Beef

Comments: 2 | Leave A Comment

Oct 14, 2014

By Tonya Pendleton, BlackAmericaWeb.com
    The legendary Michael Jackson was part of one of the most talked about moments in TV broadcast history. The Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever special originally broadcast on NBC in 1983 featured a young Jackson doing the moonwalk for the first time on TV while performing “Billie Jean.”

Now that performance, among many others, is available on the newly released DVD version that includes 20 additional minutes that never made it to broadcast.

The special edition 6-DVD set includes other additional features including interviews, rehearsal footage, featurettes and a roundtable discussion with Smokey Robinson and members of the Temps and Tops.

Producer Suzanne DePasse, who produced the original show, says that the NBC show left out a lot due to time constraints.

“There are 20 minutes of things we had to cut out for broadcast. We only had 2 hours for broadcast and our show went a little long. We had to cut out some performances, a few Stevie Wonder songs. Trim, trim, trim, we were fighting like hell in the editing room.”

One of the most enduring legends of the show is that Diana Ross snatched the mic away from former Supreme Mary Wilson during the finale. DePasse says that urban legend has been exaggerated over the years.

“That thing has taken on a life of its own. What happened was most people had microphones for the finale and we had rehearsed Diana bringing Mr. Gordy down on stage. She was just enthusiastic and she was just jumping the gun. All Diana did was tell Mary ‘Not now.’ I think she took her hand and kind of stuck to the script. Everyone was so enthusiastic that night and caught up in the moment but it was nothing that required medical attention.

As far as whether or not Rick James was invited, DePasse says he was, but was simply unavailable.

“It was a miracle we got the people we got,” says DePasse. “Marvin Gaye, the Jacksons reunion, the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles reunion, the Temps and the Tops and the battle of the stars, and the show was hosted by Richard Pryor! Then we had some of the new acts like DeBarge. It was definitely the place to be that night and its only taken us 31 years to get it on DVD!”

There is a single-disc, a 3-disc set and a 6-disc set available depending on your level of fandom. They are available online and via big box retailers.

Click the links above to hear the entire interview!
    http://blackamericaweb.com/2014/10/1...s-alleged-beef

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Home » If You Missed It » Suzanne de Passe Talks ‘Motown 25′ DVD Release, Mary Wilson & Diana Ross’ Alleged Beef

Suzanne de Passe Talks ‘Motown 25′ DVD Release, Mary Wilson & Diana Ross’ Alleged Beef

Comments: 2 | Leave A Comment

Oct 14, 2014

By Tonya Pendleton, BlackAmericaWeb.com
    The legendary Michael Jackson was part of one of the most talked about moments in TV broadcast history. The Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever special originally broadcast on NBC in 1983 featured a young Jackson doing the moonwalk for the first time on TV while performing “Billie Jean.”

Now that performance, among many others, is available on the newly released DVD version that includes 20 additional minutes that never made it to broadcast.

The special edition 6-DVD set includes other additional features including interviews, rehearsal footage, featurettes and a roundtable discussion with Smokey Robinson and members of the Temps and Tops.

Producer Suzanne DePasse, who produced the original show, says that the NBC show left out a lot due to time constraints.

“There are 20 minutes of things we had to cut out for broadcast. We only had 2 hours for broadcast and our show went a little long. We had to cut out some performances, a few Stevie Wonder songs. Trim, trim, trim, we were fighting like hell in the editing room.”

One of the most enduring legends of the show is that Diana Ross snatched the mic away from former Supreme Mary Wilson during the finale. DePasse says that urban legend has been exaggerated over the years.

“That thing has taken on a life of its own. What happened was most people had microphones for the finale and we had rehearsed Diana bringing Mr. Gordy down on stage. She was just enthusiastic and she was just jumping the gun. All Diana did was tell Mary ‘Not now.’ I think she took her hand and kind of stuck to the script. Everyone was so enthusiastic that night and caught up in the moment but it was nothing that required medical attention.

As far as whether or not Rick James was invited, DePasse says he was, but was simply unavailable.

“It was a miracle we got the people we got,” says DePasse. “Marvin Gaye, the Jacksons reunion, the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles reunion, the Temps and the Tops and the battle of the stars, and the show was hosted by Richard Pryor! Then we had some of the new acts like DeBarge. It was definitely the place to be that night and its only taken us 31 years to get it on DVD!”

There is a single-disc, a 3-disc set and a 6-disc set available depending on your level of fandom. They are available online and via big box retailers.

Click the links above to hear the entire interview!
    http://blackamericaweb.com/2014/10/1...s-alleged-beef
    This is further embarassing for Ms. DePasse. It shows that either she cannot or refuses to tell the truth to save her life! LOL! Liar!~

everyone just resist and ignore... we will not get dragged into the puddles again..it's beyond boring.. the release is a success.everyone who owns it, enjoy it.. the past cannot be redone either way.. really could care less who got a shove.. are they supposed to be robots, or people? people behave like people, and always will... you knew it was only a matter of time..

everyone just resist and ignore... we will not get dragged into the puddles again..it's beyond boring.. the release is a success.everyone who owns it, enjoy it.. the past cannot be redone either way.. really could care less who got a shove.. are they supposed to be robots, or people? people behave like people, and always will... you knew it was only a matter of time..

Big Jim, I'm going over to Lindenhurst to get my haircut. When I get back I'll respond. LOL!

smark21 Guest
    I don't have the DVD, but I read at a Facebook Diana Ross forum that additional footage from the Ross/Supremes segment of the show was cut for the DVD release--namely the shot of Berry doing the gesture to show he let Diana fly away from the cage. Speculation was that it was cut so that the footage would better match what was dramatized in Motown the Musical.

Anyone who has the DVD--can you verify this was cut from the new release?

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    I don't have the DVD, but I read at a Facebook Diana Ross forum that additional footage from the Ross/Supremes segment of the show was cut for the DVD release--namely the shot of Berry doing the gesture to show he let Diana fly away from the cage. Speculation was that it was cut so that the footage would better match what was dramatized in Motown the Musical.

Anyone who has the DVD--can you verify this was cut from the new release?
    It is true that Berry's gesture is not on the dvd.

It is not true at all what she said about Rick James! In a radio interview at the time he stated that he refused to be on the Motown 25 Special because he was still on Motown, recording and making money for the label and did not want to appear onstage with a a bunch of artists that had left the label [[ in the lurch is the tone in which he said this.....) pretending to be one big happy family. He said he'd feel like a hypocrite doing something like that.

I have seen the 3 DVD and the single DVD but this mentions a 6 DVD set of Motown 25. Have anyone sen that ?

Suzanne Depasse also lied when she states that everyone had a mic during the finale. The ones with a mic were Mary Wilson, Diana Ross, Cindy Birdsong and Smokey Robinson at the beginning of the finale. As it progressed Bobby Rogers of the Miracles was given one, then Marvin Gaye got one before coming on stage as well as Michael Jackson. That was it! Only one or two of those mics were passed around to people like Stevie etc.

Suzanne Depassed lied when she states that all Diana Ross did was tell Mary Wilson, "not now" when in reality Ross grabs Wilson's hand holding the mic and forcefully pulls it away from her mouth and then states "It's been taken care of......." This happens after she shoves Mary during the middle of "Someday We'll Be Together" and Smokey Robinson is sent out to keep her from getting her ass kicked in front of a live audience and future nationally televised audience.

She does not mention Lionel Richie at all! Strange in that he was the top selling Motown act at that particular time in history. She mentions nothing of his absolute refusal to appear on the program, on the same stage as the Commodores whom he was fueding with at the time. He taped a brief segment with a little girl who had Sickle Cell Anemia and sent that in instead.

So does anyone know anything about the 6 DVD's for Motown 25 and have a link for it ? All I can find is the 3 DVD's package.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    So does anyone know anything about the 6 DVD's for Motown 25 and have a link for it ? All I can find is the 3 DVD's package.
    https://timelife.com/products/motown-25

So, Berry's gesture gets edited out? What a sneaky little bitch maneuver. You see, when some of us fans speak about certain people associated with Motown trying to change history, this is EXACTLY what we are talking about. Sneaky little weasel stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    So, Berry's gesture gets edited out? What a sneaky little bitch maneuver. You see, when some of us fans speak about certain people associated with Motown trying to change history, this is EXACTLY what we are talking about. Sneaky little weasel stuff.
    Exactly! She also edited out ANY mention of the film "The Wiz"!

Well, Suzanne produced the Motown 40 special and included an interview excerpt about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguH...utu.be&t=4m17s

#1 AND #3 on BILLBOARD DVD chart..http://www.billboard.com/biz/charts/music-video

I try and look at the totality of what Motown means to me as an intense music lover and as a person of color. Sure, we could isolate this or that. But I feel my life with Motown was destiny...to my mother owning "Money", so many songs and artists that illuminate beautiful memories. Few things in life are perfect. But, one thing I know for sure, my life would have significantly less meaning without Motown. I am even beholden to Motown for a wonderful career. It's all a choice. I choose to celebrate the goodness, the inspiration, the sheer joy of hearing dramatic opening chords of a song like "Beauty is Only Skin Deep" to my first interracial love as captured in "Does Your Momma Know About Me?"......the success of these DVDs are icing on the cake!

perfect!
    tell it like it is, Bokiluis!

What's caused this to be such a big hit?

A Motown #1 on Billboard; it's been years.