[REMOVE ADS]

Jackson' 5's long lost first recording from 1967 -"I'm A Big Boy"

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here's a link to The Jackson 5's first recording in 1967, "I'm a Big Boy", recorded at George and Ernie Leaner's One-derful Records' Studios. I will soon be released by Secret Stash Records. It's similar to The Five Stairsteps' sound. After reading its story, scroll down a bit, and you can listen to the complete song.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader...d-secret-stash

It was played quite a bit on Chicago radio stations. I mean the version they recorded for Steeltown Records.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was played quite a bit on Chicago radio stations. I mean the version they recorded for Steeltown Records.
    Yes, I lived in Chicago at that time. But, I like this One-derful version better than the Steeltown version. It is in an "older" style of instrumentation.

thomas96 Guest
    This is different that the Steeltown one?

Yes,this is really The Jackson 5 first single,not I Want You Back.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    This is different that the Steeltown one?
    Yes this one is different from the version they recorded for Steeltown Records. This one was recorded in 1967, the other in 68'.

I had a suit just like this back in 1968! LOL!

Sounds like something recorded in a basement back in the day,but historically it has value.

I wouldn't mind having a copy of it.

Wow their first studio recording never released. I have the steeltown recording but never got y hands on this one. Michael was destined to make his mark in history.

Mike's vocal is really nasal here lol but of course he was just nine at the time. I hear Jackie, Tito and Jermaine. The version that was released to Chicago radio claimed that only Mike was on that recording with studio singers backing him [[the Steeltown version).

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Sounds like something recorded in a basement back in the day,but historically it has value.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  21.1 KB
    I like thaqt simple sound much better than the Steeltown recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Yes, I lived in Chicago at that time. But, I like this One-derful version better than the Steeltown version. It is in an "older" style of instrumentation.
    Chicago dweller also and like the Steeltown version better. It sounds more developed. I remember hearing this on WVON. Those were the days for music.

Were the Jackson's ever under contact with One-derful or Steeltown? I am surprised they couldn't hear what Berry Gordy did.

^ There's always been a mystery. It's a possibility they signed with both labels at one time. One-derful before and Steeltown after. I have to correct myself, when Big Boy was first recorded, Michael wasn't even nine yet...

When I first saw this thread I thought this was about the Steeltown release, which I have
    and was puzzled by robb k's posting it especially since he's the Moses of the forum. I didn't
    even bother to check the link. My mistake. I'm not sure which I like better at this point but
    I have to say Michael's voice is so prominent on this version illustrating well his strengths
    as well as his not yet developed articulation. Consonants are jumbled, m's become h's,just
    as you'd expect from 9,10,11 year old children. Still it's clear from this recording Michael Jackson was destined to become a star. The kid was born with it....