[REMOVE ADS]

Funky Town Grooves Ross RCA Reissues

I have not listened to all 6 reissues but I am very happy with the remastering on the ones i've listened to so far. Thank you Funky Town Grooves!!!!!!

I've listened to the three I pre-ordered - Ross, Swept Away and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues and am quite pleased with the sound quality. Which have you listened to so far? I'm interested in Silk Electric and Eaten Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I've listened to the three I pre-ordered - Ross, Swept Away and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues and am quite pleased with the sound quality. Which have you listened to so far? I'm interested in Silk Electric and Eaten Alive.
    I've listened to Silk Electric and Swept Away so far

Got my 6 cds today. Can't wait to listen to them. I love her RCA period.

In the dark.....Diana Ross IS Tunisia........"Pieces of Ice." Stunning!Name:  P1170096.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  30.9 KB

Kudos to Funkytown Grooves on these releases - they sound great and a reevaluation of Diana's RCA period is long overdue!

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Kudos to Funkytown Grooves on these releases - they sound great and a reevaluation of Diana's RCA period is long overdue!
    I agree with you, ejluther. I am one of the people who actually loved Pieces of Ice when it was released, though many of my friends did not. I wasn't really enamored of the RCA recordings as they came out. I enjoyed a track here or there but overall they were not what I played [[except for the Eaten Alive & Ross LPs). Now that I'm really listening to them, due to the reissues, I'm finding I enjoy them so much more. They contain a lot of good material. I'm also enjoying the interviews with songwriters and producers that are in the liner notes. They really show how Ms. Ross wanted to experiment with her sound and try new things. Perhaps, at the time, I wasn't enjoying the break from the sound I wanted to hear and now I enjoy the changes she tried to incorporate. So, I agree that a re-evaluation is long overdue.

I've finally received my copies of the three re-issues I wanted [Silk Electric, Swept Away, and Red Hot Rhythm & Blues] and I'm in hog heaven!!!! The packaging is quite lovely; the liner notes are incredible. Who knew that Diana recorded a Harold Arlen project in '86? I'd kill for those tracks. Also, as a bonus, I scored one of those paper-sleeve reissues of Ross ['78]!!!! Needless to say, I'm as pleased as punch.

I got all 6 of them and they are fantastic! There was a mistake with the Swept Away one though. They put the single version of "Missing You" on disc 1 and put the album version on disc 2. And instead of the instrumental of "Touch By Touch" they put an edit of the remix. [[Which might be the single version, but I don't know since I'm not an expert.) Hopefully the mistake has been brought to their attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    I got all 6 of them and they are fantastic! There was a mistake with the Swept Away one though. They put the single version of "Missing You" on disc 1 and put the album version on disc 2. And instead of the instrumental of "Touch By Touch" they put an edit of the remix. [[Which might be the single version, but I don't know since I'm not an expert.) Hopefully the mistake has been brought to their attention.
    Thanks for noticing this. I was about to rip only Disc 2 of Swept Away [[since I already have the Japanese import); you saved me a lot of trouble.

I'm enjoying the 6 cds too, really listening to Ross in the 1980s again, which I realize I don't often do. Interesting to hear which sounds seem dated now, and which stand the test of time [[which says more about the 1980s than Diana Ross). Personally, I think the Gary Katz tracks of Ross 83 sound the most "timeless" -- they could have been recorded today -- a shame he didn't get to do the whole record. Ray Parker Jr. is fun, but does sound a bit dated to me.

What a great group for Christmas and Birthday Presents.

Can't wait until mine arrive.

I have all mine....from a few years ago......not sure if I want to reorder the same.....plus I lost my job after 20 years so funds r tight.maybe in the future.does anyone know if they will find themselves in iTunes?