[REMOVE ADS]

David Ruffin vs. Gwen Gordy

We all know that David Ruffin was originally signed to Gwen Gordy label....Did Gwen Gordy received an "cut" David Ruffin royalties will he was in the Temptations!???

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    We all know that David Ruffin was originally signed to Gwen Gordy label....Did Gwen Gordy received an "cut" David Ruffin royalties will he was in the Temptations!???
    Although, I am not sure, that seems highly unlikely. Wasn't Gwen's label purchased by or absorbed by Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Although, I am not sure, that seems highly unlikely. Wasn't Gwen's label purchased by or absorbed by Motown?
    Marv, Exactly my point, Gwen received "points" from Marvin & David. That became a point of contention of one of David's reasons of dissatisfaction!!

Marv, Exactly my point, Gwen received "points" from Marvin & David. That became a point of contention of one of David's reasons of dissatisfaction!!
    That shouldn't have happened. Reminds me of how others in the music business have been ripped off. I mean, she wasn't David's manager, was she? She managed High Inergy in the 80s and that is the only group/artist that I know Gwen directly managed.

That shouldn't have happened. Reminds me of how others in the music business have been ripped off. I mean, she wasn't David's manager, was she? She managed High Inergy in the 80s and that is the only group/artist that I know Gwen directly managed.
    She was the BOSS'S SISTER!!!

She was the BOSS'S SISTER!!!
    Exactly! Which means the rules don't apply............................LOL!

Exactly! Which means the rules don't apply............................LOL!
    Berry took care of the Gordy WOMEN!!!LOL!!! as Smokey said!!!

Berry took care of the Gordy WOMEN!!!LOL!!! as Smokey said!!!
    That he did. You remember that Temptations movie produced by the honorable Ms. Suzanne DePasse? I believe there was a depiction of Otis Williams and one of his early groups being very upset with their manager when it came to money they felt they had rightfully earned that was being withheld.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-02-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  21.1 KB
    Gwen and Anna Gordy were partners with Roquel "Billy" Davis in Anna Records. They later took in Harvey Fuqua as a major producer. When Billy and Gwen wanted to part ways, and Gwen and Harvey wanted to form their own record company, in late 1961, Anna folded. The 3 owners divided the assets. Billy Davis took the remaining Anna masters, and the contracts of some Anna artists [[Lamont Dozier, Willie Kendrick[[s), David Ruffin, Tony Clarke, Ty Hunter, The Voice Masters, Ruben Fort, etc.) to Chess Records, where he was to run Chess' Detroit subsidiary, Check-mate Records. In 1962, when Davis moved full-time to Chicago, to be Chess' chief A&R
    man, most of Check-Mates Detroit artists [[other than tony Clarke and Ty Hunter, remained in Detroit, unsigned by Chess, and several were signed by Motown [[including Lamont Dozier, C.P. Spencer and 2 other members of The Five Stars/Voice Masters - who later became The originals, and David Ruffin). David was signed to both an artist and songwriter contract with Motown, and also lived in Berry Gordy's house, and worked in Berry's father's construction business. Gwen had no business connection with David then, as she co-owned Harvey/Tri-Phi Records, who did not hav David under contract.

I don't know what portion of Motown stock Gwen and Harvey got when their Harvey.Tri-Phi Records was folded into Motown. But, I'm sure that she got no credit for David's Motown productions, and had nothing to do with his being signed by Motown in 1962, a year after David had joined Billy Davis at Check-Mate Records, and after Gwen and Harvey had started their new labels, WITHOUT David.

supremester Guest
    Wow - fantastic - TY Robbbbb!!!!!

I'm often confused about Marvin's timeline. Was he just in the Anna label then? Other bios stated Harvey Records, another was Tri-Phi [[and he allegedly performed the drum work on the Spinners' Tri-Phi hit "That's What Girls Are Made For") but was he just paid through Anna Records?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm often confused about Marvin's timeline. Was he just in the Anna label then? Other bios stated Harvey Records, another was Tri-Phi [[and he allegedly performed the drum work on the Spinners' Tri-Phi hit "That's What Girls Are Made For") but was he just paid through Anna Records?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  21.1 KB
    Marvin was Anna Gordy's "boyfriend" and later, husband, so he was a family member. Gwen and Anna Gordy's and Harvey Fuqua's Tri-Phi/Harvey Records was really part of The Motown Family. They recorded all their sessions at 2648 Grand. So, yes, Marvin was free to play drums on Tri-Phi and Harvey sessions.