[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Who were her background singers, besides Cissy?

Aretha performed the song on "The Today Show" and sounded just as good if not better than the Letterman performance. I hope this album brings her some healthy sales. She hasn't had a hit album in 16 years.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Aretha performed the song on "The Today Show" and sounded just as good if not better than the Letterman performance. I hope this album brings her some healthy sales. She hasn't had a hit album in 16 years.
    I watched it. She did sound great, but she sang along with a track and I enjoyed the performance with live musicians and background singers on Letterman more.

On the TODAY SHOW , when the track was fading out, Aretha gave a shout out to Clive Davis and Berry Gordy

http://www.today.com/id/3041478/vp/56169922/#56169922

And here is the interview prior to the performance, but it is cut off and there is no ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mwi...4xN9Le-KRAEVMM

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Who were her background singers, besides Cissy?
    Brenda White, Vaneese Thomas, Fonzi Thornton, and Tawatha Agee.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Brenda White, Vaneese Thomas, Fonzi Thornton, and Tawatha Agee.
    I'll bet Luther is somewhere smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I think this one is going to do that for her. It is a hit album.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I'll bet Luther is somewhere smiling.
    Yeah those are some of Luther's buddies. They are also some of the best in the business! They may appear "youthful" but those are all hardcore veterans! LOL!!!

I have albums from back in the 70's where they sang the backup on countless sessions for various artists.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-05-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: left some words out in a rush.

I think this is going to do vastly better than the last effort and than most of her efforts for the last twenty years. It's a good idea and they've picked great songs. Amazing that Clive Davis would be doing this still; isn't he 90 now?

Aretha's voice isn't anywhere near what it was and it sounds like some of this was done as cheaply as they reasonably could.

But it's a good idea, good songs. Like Bette Midler's new CD and Tony Bennett/Lady Gaga's CD, like Barbra Streisands.

But you do wonder if anyone can come up with anything new or if they all got stuck anywhere up to 50 years ago.

It is interesting that nobody has mentioned that jazz musicians have been "covering" standards and "pop hits" since forever, and fans never get tired of that.

Lulu Guest
    I've been listening to it non-stop. I do hope Aretha gets back on the charts with this one. It's LONG overdue!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The 1968 CHAIN OF FOOLS appearance is from the Johnathan Winters Show.

Aretha has told the story of not appearing on Ed Sullivan many times, including once before with Letterman. She always gets her age wrong, but that seems to be it. Usually on tv, she tells the story with a sense of humor. But in a 90s Vanity Fair magazine profile on her, she seemed to be really hurt by being bumped off the show. She ended the story by saying something like after being bumped she never remembered them asking her to appear again, nor did she ever ask to appear again.
    Reese and Skooldem are correct. The appearance of Aretha performing COF is from the Jonathan Winters show from 1968. The image below matches the video on YT [[see below):

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...w-1968-0617889

Here's a listing of Ed Sullivan episodes [[hope these links work, if they don't - click on the seasons listed below which appear on the left side of the screen):

Season 20 - Sept 10, 1967-June 9, 1968

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-ed-sullivan-show/episodes/

Season 21 - Sept 21, 1968 - Aug 31, 1969

Aretha herself stated that she never appeared on the Ed Sullivan show...
    Last edited by no_place_like_motown; 10-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    Reese and Skooldem are correct. The appearance of Aretha performing COF is from the Jonathan Winters show from 1968. The image below matches the video on YT [[see below):

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pi...w-1968-0617889

Here's a listing of Ed Sullivan episodes [[hope these links work, if they don't - click on the seasons listed below which appear on the left side of the screen):

Season 20 - Sept 10, 1967-June 9, 1968

Season 21 - Sept 21, 1968 - Aug 31, 1969

Aretha herself stated that she never appeared on the Ed Sullivan show...
    Then I apologize I was mistaken about the particular show, but I saw that particular performance on television and so it was the Jonathan Winters Show and not Sullivan. Thank you!

I hope the new album/CD becomes as popular as her mid 80's "Who's Zoomin Who?" I remember there were folks that were surprised when she got a huge hit with that one. Well who says the classic soul artists are down and out in the new millienium. In the past couple of years there's new albums, new material [[and old) from Aretha, Gladys Knight, Mary Wilson, Smokey Robinson, Lionel Richie, Freda Payne, Scherrie Payne [[that's being completed) and others. Didn't Dionne release some newly recorded material in the last 2-3 years?

Any idea when Mary Wilsons Lifes Been Good to me CD is coming out marv2 and when is her movie Golden Show coming out?

Thank you in advance.

Fondly,

Roberta

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Any idea when Mary Wilsons Lifes Been Good to me CD is coming out marv2 and when is her movie Golden Show coming out?

Thank you in advance.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Lulu's sources say that Mary is finally working on that "costume" book she'd been discussing to piggyback onto her exhibit...much to the chagrin of others who had spent years chronicling the catalog! x

Thank you in advance.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Oh I'm sorry thought you knew that Mary has released 2 singles from the album already. As far as the album itself? Only the nose, knows........hehehehehehe. I do know that there are some very special and exciting projects in the works with Mary. The films release dates are entirely up their respective companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Lulu's sources say that Mary is finally working on that "costume" book she'd been discussing to piggyback onto her exhibit...much to the chagrin of others who had spent years chronicling the catalog! x
    Really? You mean the one I announced on here several years ago and several people jump all over me to see who would be first to tell me that I am lying? That book? LOL!!!

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Really? You mean the one I announced on here several years ago and several people jump all over me to see who would be first to tell me that I am lying? That book? LOL!!!
    That was before my SDF days so I don't know what was discussed then. I have been hearing more and more about it lately on other outlets so hopefully it will come to fruition.

Lulu Guest
    That was before my SDF days so I don't know what was discussed then. I have been hearing more and more about it lately on other outlets so hopefully it will come to fruition.
    This is the update we got today via our Facebook feeds. The names and identities of the users have been redacted by moi!

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.12.31 PM.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  18.8 KB

Oh I'm sorry thought you knew that Mary has released 2 singles from the album already. As far as the album itself? Only the nose, knows........hehehehehehe. I do know that there are some very special and exciting projects in the works with Mary. The films release dates are entirely up their respective companies.
    thank you marv2 i do know and ive already bought Mother dear and Lifes been Good to me singles but i feel weve been waiting a real long time 12 year to be exact for the actual album. Im going to the theater the first day Golden Show opens.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Lulu Guest
    thank you marv2 i do know and ive already bought Mother dear and Lifes been Good to me singles but i feel weve been waiting a real long time 12 year to be exact for the actual album. Im going to the theater the first day Golden Show opens.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

I do enjoy that "Life's Been Good To Me" number. Will that be the title of Mary's album or book?

I do enjoy that "Life's Been Good To Me" number. Will that be the title of Mary's album or book?
    The new album was supposed to be called Clarity but Mary change it two or three years ago to Lifes Been Good to Me.

Fondly,

Roberta

I'm just wondering why this Aretha thread has been derailed into another Mary Wilson thread? One has nothing to do with the other... And I realize I am adding to it here, so sorry about that...

I also don't get why this thread is posted under the Motown Forum [[there's another thread about this under Soulful Detroit, as well). Aretha never recorded for Motown, did she?

Now back to Aretha's upcoming album: all of the press materials mention 10 tracks -- I wonder if any bonus tracks were recorded that might show up at Target or on iTunes? Ten tracks seems skimpy, but over the years I've learned it's quality not quantity!

supremester Guest
    Aretha was, famously I might add, never on Ed Sullivan. She was scheduled and cancelled by Sullivan himself at rehearsals. while "time constraints" were cited, it is unlikely as the Sullivan show was live and very well planned. Over the years she has claimed racism and, with vomit bag Jim Aubrey running CBS, she's probably correct.

Randy, not for nothing, but Cissy Houston is like 81 years old and will just not project the energy of the much young singers she was with. I noticed she rolled her eyes at Tawatha who is directly to her left and then broke out a smile while singing.

She and Aretha appeared on that same stage in that same theater 46 years ago on the Ed Sullivan Show! Amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    I'm just wondering why this Aretha thread has been derailed into another Mary Wilson thread? One has nothing to do with the other... And I realize I am adding to it here, so sorry about that...

I also don't get why this thread is posted under the Motown Forum [[there's another thread about this under Soulful Detroit, as well). Aretha never recorded for Motown, did she?

Now back to Aretha's upcoming album: all of the press materials mention 10 tracks -- I wonder if any bonus tracks were recorded that might show up at Target or on iTunes? Ten tracks seems skimpy, but over the years I've learned it's quality not quantity!
    I agree with you pghmusiclover, but sometimes things just happen........ Anyway, I not seen the official track list yet [[only a few well known song titles here and there that she's recorded). I do believe it would be an excellent idea to offer bonus tracks and this is the perfect album to do that with. I would bet good money that as the album catches on we will be seeing special remixes of certain songs. I am just happen she has product out and is out there promoting it.

Since I started this thread I will respond. I didn't realize that you started a thread on this album way back in July and then bumped it up. I simply posted this here because of the "Aint no mountain high enough" Motown connection. That is a Motown song. It was as simple as that.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Since I started this thread I will respond. I didn't realize that you started a thread on this album way back in July and then bumped it up. I simply posted this here because of the "Aint no mountain high enough" Motown connection. That is a Motown song. It was as simple as that.
    Mary was only mentioned [[along with others) regarding new material. The other Motown folks on the list have already released their albums or we've gotten recent updates on their projects [[in the case of Scherrie Payne) and I believe some of us were curious about any Mary news.

Now, onto Aretha - yes, the ANMHE reference was made as it is one of two Motown songs to grace the album [[albeit ANMHE is a mash-up with "Rolling In The Deep"). "You Keep Me Hangin' On" is the other.

Here's the iTunes link. Unfortunately, no other samples are up:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ar...at/id923074872

NEW YORK — Aretha Franklin is showing some R-E-S-P-E-C-T to her fellow divas: The Queen of Soul will release an album Oct. 21 covering classic songs from other female singers.

“Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics” will include songs such as Gladys Knight’s “Midnight Train to Georgia,” Barbra Streisand’s “People” and Whitney Houston’s “I’m Every Woman.”

The most contemporary track is a reworking of Adele’s colossal hit “Rolling In the Deep,” which is the first single off the album. It will be available digitally Monday, when the 72-year-old will also perform the song on “Late Night with David Letterman.”

“Great Diva Classics” reunites Franklin with longtime collaborator Clive Davis.

“I mean, it is great,” he said in an interview. “For her to do all these songs, it’s very exciting.”

Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds and Andre 3000 are among the album’s producers. Other songs covered by Franklin include the Supremes’ “You Keep Me Hangin’ On,” Alicia Keys’ “No One” and Dinah Washington’s “Teach Me Tonight.” The icon’s version of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” will incorporate some of Destiny Child’s “Survivor.”

The opening track is Etta James’ signature song, “At Last,” and Franklin closes the 10-track set with Sinead O’Connor’s “Nothing Compares 2 U.”

I wouldn't be surprised if there were alternate versions of the cd made available, perhaps Amazon or Target exclusives.

I just hope that they don't go overboard with it, as was done with Natalie Cole's STILL UNFORGETTABLE cd a while back. There were at least four different versions of that cd released, all containing the main album plus bonus songs, videos, etc.

Aretha Franklin + Clive Davis On The Adele Cover That Set The World On Fire

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2014-...ver-interview/

Aretha Franklin Earns Her 100th Hit on Billboards Hot R&B Charts!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...-r-and-b-chart

Aretha Franklin becomes the first female, and just the fourth artist overall, to place 100 career titles on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart [[since it became a multi-metric ranking in 1958), as "Rolling in the Deep [[The Aretha Version)" debuts at No. 47.

With her current hit, I am certain Aretha's back catalog sales are steadily increasing. Congratulations Queen Aretha!

I don't how they are able to get away with this, but here is the entire new Divas album by the Queen, Aretha Franklin. Check it out!