[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NEW Aretha Franklin: Rolling in the deep/Ain't no mountain High enough

New music from Aretha Franklin. She sings a mashup of Adele's "Rolling in the deep" and "Aint no mountain high enough".

Not bad; Adele's is much better; I'm sure this will do much better than the last CD Aretha put out. She can't be accused of going quietly.

I don't like it. The constant beat is boring.

I think Aretha had a problem with her last CD. There was a defect in it and THEME FROM A SUMMER PLACE did not play properly. Also, wasn't it only available at Wal-Mart?

Aretha will perform tonight on David Letterman's LATE SHOW

I don't really care for it either. The arrangement is pretty good but I prefer when Aretha sings in her lower register...

Its just okay IMO but nowhere as good as Adele version. Adeles version is the best IMO.

Fondly,

Roberta

Don't like it much, don't like her high registere these days either. And the instrumentation sounds very cheap.

It's good to hear Aretha take on contemporary material. I agree with previous posters that the instrumentation is repetitive. Sales will easily beat her last release, as that was on her own Aretha label that had very limited distribution. Hopefully the rest of the cuts will have more of a "live band" feel. Aretha never disappoints, and I'm sure there will be some killer tracks to enjoy.

I hear that the new CD includes YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON.

Here's a great version Aretha did a ways back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV8aFwDax9U

Thanks to Franco Rossville for this YouTube posting.

Thanks a lot for the sneak peek Skooldem. Much appreciated.

I agree with most of you. I prefer Adele's version. Having said that, I think Aretha sounds in better voice than she has for some time.

~~Mary~~

Sounds pretty good for a woman that's been making records since the 1950s! Go head Queen!

Whoever produced this made a mistake in deciding to use auto-tune on Aretha's vocals.

It's really not necessary for someone who can actually sing.

smark21 Guest
    Clive Davis strikes again, directing Aretha to do something radio friendly for 2014.

Aretha Franklin’s ‘Great Diva Classics’ Due Oct. 21
    ArticlesNewsThe JuiceBy Associated Press / Billboard Staff | September 28, 2014 10:21 PM EDT

Ms. Aretha Franklin rocks the crowd at DTE Energy Music Theatre
    Ms. Aretha Franklin rocks the crowd at DTE Energy Music Theatre on Saturday, July 12th in Clarkston, Michigan.

Montez Miller
    253 73 66 Comments
    Aretha Franklin is showing some R-E-S-P-E-C-T to her fellow divas: The Queen of Soul will release an album Oct. 21 covering classic songs from other female singers.

Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics will include songs such as Gladys Knight's "Midnight Train to Georgia," Barbra Streisand's "People" and Whitney Houston's "I'm Every Woman."

Aretha Franklin Album Coming This Month

The most contemporary track is a reworking of Adele's colossal hit "Rolling In the Deep," which is the first single off the album. It will be available digitally Monday, when the 72-year-old will also perform the song on Late Night with David Letterman.

"Great Diva Classics" reunites Franklin with longtime collaborator Clive Davis.

"I mean, it is great," he said in an interview. "For her to do all these songs, it's very exciting."

Exclusive: Clive Davis Says Aretha Franklin Is 'On Fire' on New Album of Diva Classics

Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds and Andre 3000 are among the album's producers. Other songs covered by Franklin include the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hangin' On," Alicia Keys' "No One" and Dinah Washington's "Teach Me Tonight." The icon's version of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" will incorporate some of Destiny's Child's "Survivor."

The opening track is Etta James' signature song, "At Last," and Franklin closes the 10-track set with Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U."

Speaking to Billboard ahead of the release, Davis said he was thrilled with the album. "She's on fire and vocally in absolutely peak form," he explained. "What a thrill to see this peerless artist still showing the way, still sending shivers up your spine, still demonstrating that all contemporary music needs right now is the voice. What a voice." The new recording, he added, "is purely and simply sensational."

I dig it! But then, for me, Ree-Ree could sing the ingredients off of a box of Graham crackers and I'd love it. I am, though, also a little mystified [[like motown01) about the use of AutoTunes for one of the greatest vocalists of all time. Odd, to say the least.

Interesting! Hope it does well for her.....It sure is an eclectic collection of songs. I'll probably buy because I am a fan but I need to hear more. [[I could soooooo do without another version of "I Will Survive"......always hated that song and still do. Left both Diana dates this year when I knew it was coming. I pray for the day when she let's that one go).

Here the Queen performs on television last night backed by some of the best background singers in the business.........

Better than the recorded version. Poor Cissy looks preoccupied. Nice salute to Diana, Ashford & Simpson. And Aretha looks tasteful for a change.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 09-30-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Better than the recorded version. Poor Cissy looks preoccupied. Nice salute to Diana, Ashford & Simpson. And Aretha looks tasteful for a change.
    That was Marvin and Tammi's version. Nice salute to Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.........

Remember this? This is Aretha's tribute to Mariah Carey........LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was Marvin and Tammi's version. Nice salute to Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell.........
    It was both versions. Marvin/Tammi and Diana.

Aretha did great. Cissy looked lost and confused. It was uncomfortable watching her.

I prefer the live version from David Letterman over the studio recording. Thanks for posting. When I heard the studio version yesterday, I immediately caught on to the autotune. It ruined the song for me. In certain parts, I can hear it very clearly and it takes away from her performance. It sounds robotic and manufactured. Same with the backing track. This live version is far superior. They should have done a more organic recording in the studio. But I don't think that's Clive's way...

I totally agree that Aretha's live version of "Rolling In The Deep/Ain't No Mountain High Enough" sounds much more exciting than the studio track. Cissy Houston did indeed look distracted, and I couldn't help but wonder if the pain of losing her daughter was flashing through her mind. Aretha told a wonderful story about her near appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1960 that tied in nicely with the low cut of her gown. This is one CD release I am very much looking forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I totally agree that Aretha's live version of "Rolling In The Deep/Ain't No Mountain High Enough" sounds much more exciting than the studio track. Cissy Houston did indeed look distracted, and I couldn't help but wonder if the pain of losing her daughter was flashing through her mind. Aretha told a wonderful story about her near appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1960 that tied in nicely with the low cut of her gown. This is one CD release I am very much looking forward to!
    This is going to be a great CD!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Interesting! Hope it does well for her.....It sure is an eclectic collection of songs. I'll probably buy because I am a fan but I need to hear more. [[I could soooooo do without another version of "I Will Survive"......always hated that song and still do. Left both Diana dates this year when I knew it was coming. I pray for the day when she let's that one go).
    I thought that I was the only one who felt that way about I Will Survive. I guess it means something personal to Diana when she sings it, but I can think of three dozen of her own songs that I'd rather hear her sing.

Great clip but may God bless and protect and watch over Miss Cissy Houston or Saint Cissy as she's known in New York and New Jersery as. You can see this sweet and lovely and kind and decent woman isnt really there. She's probably thinking of her beloved Nippy.

Breaks my heart but shes in my morning and evenings prayers.

Roberta

I watched it last night,and it was great seein' The Queen of Soul Miss Aretha Franklin on The David Letterman Show,Aretha sounds good,and her background singers,were super good,they seem to have a good vib with her,but that gown was a no no lol,i'm sorry

I noticed right away Cissy Houston looking distant and confused. She just kinda stared when Letterman mentioned her name before the performance and then she hardly moved and didn't look as if she was actually singing. Aretha sounded fabulous and so did the band.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussi View Post
    I noticed right away Cissy Houston looking distant and confused. She just kinda stared when Letterman mentioned her name before the performance and then she hardly moved and didn't look as if she was actually singing. Aretha sounded fabulous and so did the band.
    Randy, not for nothing, but Cissy Houston is like 81 years old and will just not project the energy of the much young singers she was with. I noticed she rolled her eyes at Tawatha who is directly to her left and then broke out a smile while singing.

She and Aretha appeared on that same stage in that same theater 46 years ago on the Ed Sullivan Show! Amazing!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I watched it last night,and it was great seein' The Queen of Soul Miss Aretha Franklin on The David Letterman Show,Aretha sounds good,and her background singers,were super good,they seem to have a good vib with her,but that gown was a no no lol,i'm sorry
    Well, she is THE Queen, and she'll do as she pleases..........hehehehehehehe!

The chorale '"ahs" and ad libs at the end of the song are strongly identified with the #1 global Grammy nominated smash by Diana Ross. If someone's personal issues prevent them from hearing that, there is little that can be said since the source who denies that plain and simple fact, comes as little surprise. Please let's not start this madness again.

i complimented the version. What more can be said.
    Last edited by Bokiluis; 09-30-2014 at 04:35 PM.

I don't hear Diana Ross anywhere and I don't think about Diana Ross in every situation. This is about Aretha and her current music. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I thought that I was the only one who felt that way about I Will Survive. I guess it means something personal to Diana when she sings it, but I can think of three dozen of her own songs that I'd rather hear her sing.
    From the day I saw the tracklisting of the excellent "Take Me Higher" album, I had a sense of dread. In live performances, it's even worst. It is a cheap crowd pleaser though as everyone in Santa Barbara and San Jose were on their feet as I ran to the exit doors. [[She has said it does have personal resonance. But as the late Jheryl Busby said to her..."but why, you have already survived"). Whatever it meant to her personally, it has now become a passionless way to end her often great concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    It was both versions. Marvin/Tammi and Diana.
    You are so right. So sure. That love taught me. Wait that's another Diana/Ashford & Simpson classic [[smile). But, yes, you are quite right.

She and Aretha appeared on that same stage in that same theater 46 years ago on the Ed Sullivan Show! Amazing!!!
    Aretha said she only got to rehearse. She never actually appeared on the show.

Clive has been on the "cover" trail since no longer running a label, now as Creative Executive Officer. 3-4 on Manilow. Last two flopped. Made Santana do the worst reviewed album of his career with "Guitar Heaven" after masterminding "Supernatural". And finally Harry Connick's last unsuccessful effort. Now this on Aretha. I'm not ready to vote against his commercial instincts, but, it sure seems awful repetitive. By simply having the RCA/Sony machine behind her, it will do better than her last indie album that was crucified.

Aretha said she only got to rehearse. She never actually appeared on the show.
    She appeared on the show. Here they are:

Don't know where that clip is from. Aretha Franklin said she never appeared on the show. She was bumped off the show. She found out during rehearsal.

Aretha Franklin said she never appeared on the show. She was bumped off the show. She found out during rehearsal.

She also said that happened when she was like 17 years old, scheduled to sing "Skylark" and after being rehearsed by Cholly Atkins. That would have been around 1959 or 60. The above Ed Sullivan Show appearance was from 1968 and she is singing "Chain of Fools" backed by Cissy Houston and the Sweet Inspirations. I saw this on television. I know don't believe me or the video above but who cares? LOL
    !!!!

Here she is asked why she NEVER appeared on the Ed Sullivan show.

Quote Originally Posted by motown01 View Post
    Whoever produced this made a mistake in deciding to use auto-tune on Aretha's vocals.

It's really not necessary for someone who can actually sing.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that...

Here she is asked why she NEVER appeared on the Ed Sullivan show.

Yeah well, here she is with Cholly preparing for that first appearance back in the very early 60's [[This pic is supposely from 1961). The Chain of Fools appearance was in 1968.

Everyone's memory fades as they get older. Maybe she doesn't recall. I was just going by what she has said. I wasn't there. But if you recall seeing her on Ed Sullivan, I can't argue that.

The album's track list spans numerous eras and styles of soul – from Etta James' bluesy 1960 staple "At Last" to Sinéad O’Connor's minimal 1990 pop ballad "Nothing Compares 2 U" to Alicia Keys' anthemic 2007 R&B smash "No One." In addition to singing throughout, Franklin also plays piano on a version of the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hangin' On."

The album was co-produced by Franklin and Sony Music Entertainment's Chief Creative Officer Clive Davis and features additional production work from André 3000, Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Harvey Mason Jr., Terry Hunter and Eric Kupper. A limited edition vinyl will be available for pre-order on September 30th, and select retailers are offering a download of Franklin's "Rolling in the Deep" with digital pre-order.

Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics track list.

1. "At Last" [[Etta James Cover)
    2. "Rolling In The Deep" [[Adele Cover)
    3. "Midnight Train To Georgia" [[Gladys Knight and The Pips Cover)
    4. "I Will Survive" [[Gloria Gaynor Cover)
    5. "People" [[Barbra Streisand Cover)
    6. "No One" [[Alicia Keys Cover)
    7. "I’m Every Woman" [[Chaka Khan Cover) / "Respect"
    8. "Teach Me Tonight" [[Dinah Washington Cover)
    9. "You Keep Me Hangin’ On" [[The Supremes Cover)
    10. "Nothing Compares 2 U" [[Sinéad O’Connor Cover

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3EqGmImau
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

The 1968 CHAIN OF FOOLS appearance is from the Johnathan Winters Show.

Aretha has told the story of not appearing on Ed Sullivan many times, including once before with Letterman. She always gets her age wrong, but that seems to be it. Usually on tv, she tells the story with a sense of humor. But in a 90s Vanity Fair magazine profile on her, she seemed to be really hurt by being bumped off the show. She ended the story by saying something like after being bumped she never remembered them asking her to appear again, nor did she ever ask to appear again.
    Last edited by reese; 09-30-2014 at 07:28 PM.

I agree Marv! She seems very strong as evidenced by this performance. I might be back in Detroit for a spell this fall so hopefully she will be performing at live locally. I need to look at her tour schedule. She was at the Fox last time I saw her live.
    hope all is well with you.

Well one thing is certain, auto-tune or not, Aretha's upcoming new release has got everyone buzzing. There was even an article concerning this in today's edition of Vancouver Sun, here in Canada , and that in itself bodes well for interest in Aretha, and sales potential!

Here the Queen performs on television last night backed by some of the best background singers in the business.........
    Marv2, thanks for the Letterman performance-and-interview video. I really enjoyed this performance a lot. In fact, this was the first time I've ever heard Aretha talk. [[Poor Cissy, my gosh! If ever there were a lost soul.)

On a lighter note, whenever I see Aretha, I'm often-times reminded of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' live performance of Aretha's "Do Right Woman - Do Right Man", which was included on M&TV's "Live" album. If you recall, Aretha had attended one of The Vandellas' shows, after which Aretha and her entourage marched backstage to Martha's dressing room and informed "Miss Martha" that she is NOT to perform any more of Aretha's songs! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-02-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv2, thanks for the Letterman performance-and-interview video. I really enjoyed this performance a lot. In fact, this was the first time I've ever heard Aretha talk. [[Poor Cissy, my gosh! If ever there were a lost soul.)

On a lighter note, whenever I see Aretha, I'm often-times reminded of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas' live performance of Aretha's "Do Right Woman - Do Right Man", which was included on M&TV's "Live" album. If you recall, Aretha had attended one of The Vandellas' shows, after which Aretha and her entourage marched backstage to Martha's dressing room and informed "Miss Martha" that she is NOT to perform any more of Aretha's songs! - Gary
    You're welcome. I looks like Aretha has another hit on her hands. She's gotten over 1.5 million views in 2 days on Youtube.