[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All the singers mentioned in this thread are accomplished, successful, and popular singers who have maintained their careers over decades. They each deserved to be honored. There is always a conflict when comparing one as BEST, or MOST or whatever. They are given by different sources and each source tabulates differently. Also, some are manufactured by the the artist's publicist or by the artist himself. Wasn't there an awards show that wanted Michael Jackson as a presenter and he would not go on unless they presented him an award? They created a one time award and presented it to him and he went on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    All the singers mentioned in this thread are accomplished, successful, and popular singers who have maintained their careers over decades. They each deserved to be honored. There is always a conflict when comparing one as BEST, or MOST or whatever. They are given by different sources and each source tabulates differently. Also, some are manufactured by the the artist's publicist or by the artist himself. Wasn't there an awards show that wanted Michael Jackson as a presenter and he would not go on unless they presented him an award? They created a one time award and presented it to him and he went on the show.
    I believe Mariah Carey earned this award/designation through her talent and hardwork. I don't recall a year beginning in 1990 where she hasn't had at least one great song on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I believe Mariah Carey earned this award/designation through her talent and hardwork. I don't recall a year beginning in 1990 where she hasn't had at least one great song on the market.
    I don't disagree with you. It is when we start comparing one singer against another that we get in trouble. Mariah is now in the ranks of those who have sustained their career over a substantial number of years. In the fickle music industry that caters to youth, that is commendable.

I don't disagree with you. It is when we start comparing one singer against another that we get in trouble. Mariah is now in the ranks of those who have sustained their career over a substantial number of years. In the fickle music industry that caters to youth, that is commendable.
    That is what i'm saying!

Again, I don't understand why there are two threads on this very same topic: one under Motown Forum and one under Soulful Detroit. How on earth does this qualify as belonging in a Motown forum? Because she once covered "I'll Be There"? Isn't there a way to get these two separate threads combined into one?

Incidentally, Mariah's tour is off to a rough start in Japan [[Mariah has never been a very strong live performer from the evidence I've seen):

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...se-tour-opener

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Again, I don't understand why there are two threads on this very same topic: one under Motown Forum and one under Soulful Detroit. How on earth does this qualify as belonging in a Motown forum? Because she once covered "I'll Be There"? Isn't there a way to get these two separate threads combined into one?

Incidentally, Mariah's tour is off to a rough start in Japan [[Mariah has never been a very strong live performer from the evidence I've seen):

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...se-tour-opener
    I think it was brought up because, as marv2 says in his original post, she has toppled Motown acts like Michael Jackson, The Supremes, and Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    I think it was brought up because, as marv2 says in his original post, she has toppled Motown acts like Michael Jackson, The Supremes, and Stevie Wonder.
    We have a couple of younger generations that grew up on her music.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    Again, I don't understand why there are two threads on this very same topic: one under Motown Forum and one under Soulful Detroit.
    They do that to make sure everyone sees their thread because they know that some people only click on one or the other. Me? I just click on "New Posts" so I see them all. I don't know why everyone doesn't do it that way.

Isn't there a way to get these two separate threads combined into one?
    I've complained about this for years, but I guess Ralph likes it this way.

As good as her most recent album is, it bombed big.

Sooner or later, ALL artists bomb.

Yep Michael did that. If he didn't have his way, he wasn't going. It could very well be a PR move on Mariah's part but no one's arguing the fact that she is indeed one of the most successful singers of all time.