[REMOVE ADS]

Remember Val Young!

Val Young another of Motown's great female artists. She's originally from Detroit and yep, even grew up in the Brewster Projects. She was somewha of a protege of Rick James. Val is very talented and was red hot in the mid-eighties with this classic here......"If You Should Ever Be Lonely". I don't know if it was a hit everywhere , but it was a BIG hit in Philly where I was living at the time:

She also had this little number here........

And she is fine

Ohhh man, honestly Marv, ya spooked me....a header starting with "Remember" usually means "Remember" because she/he's dead!

But yeah, glad it's a "Reminder" on her discussion. "If Ever You Should Be Lonely" - I LOVE her image as "Marilyn Monroe", just as love to play the 45 of it, as well as on the "Complete Motown Number Ones" boxed set, as it was a Dance Chart #1.

I remember having that LP. Whatever happened to Val?

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    And she is fine
    Totally fine! We called her "The Black Marilyn Monroe" L OL!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I remember having that LP. Whatever happened to Val?
    She is still is in the business. Resides now in LA and has guest starred on many recordings by major artists over the past 2 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Ohhh man, honestly Marv, ya spooked me....a header starting with "Remember" usually means "Remember" because she/he's dead!

But yeah, glad it's a "Reminder" on her discussion. "If Ever You Should Be Lonely" - I LOVE her image as "Marilyn Monroe", just as love to play the 45 of it, as well as on the "Complete Motown Number Ones" boxed set, as it was a Dance Chart #1.
    Oh I am sorry Ngroove, I know what you mean. I should have used a "?" mark at the end. I use to have a rare video clip of her performing on a local Philadelphia TV dance show called "Dancin' On the Air" but it was mistakenly taped over a while back unfortunately. The crowd loved her.

Yeah, your headline scared me, too, marv2. I thought she had died. Here's the John Morales mix for Val Young's "Have You Ever Been Lonely" taken from the recent, 2-disc CD "John Morales Presents Club Motown" release. [[Video courtesy YouTube, uploaded by a Sammy Pringle.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfIjjMbkFE

"Seduction" was recently released as a download along with several other Rick James-related albums. It was announced here but gets no more than a mention and the track list:

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/07/09/...ed/#more-25767

For those of us in Europe, it's available in cd-quality [[16 bit, 44.1 kHz) from Qobuz.

[QUOTE=calvin;
    For those of us in Europe, it's available in cd-quality [[16 bit, 44.1 kHz) from Qobuz.[/QUOTE]

Hey, calvin! How goes it? You guys are so lucky! You get all the good stuff!!! - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey, calvin! How goes it? You guys are so lucky! You get all the good stuff!!! - Gary
    Hi Gary! This download is also available in the US, though I don't know if anyone offers it in cd-quality audio. For example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seduction-Val-...ords=val+young

There are several Motown titles available as downloads in the US which are not offered here, at least not yet. The Supremes' "Funny Girl", Tata Vega's "Try My Love" and "Given' All My Love", and Mandre's Motown albums come to mind. Or maybe those are available on the UK iTunes or elsewhere but not on Qobuz yet.

I'm happy that I can get "lossless" downloads from Qobuz, but this might not last long - I mentioned in another thread that Qobuz filed for bankruptcy protection. They need to raise some cash or they might not be around much longer.
    Last edited by calvin; 09-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Hi Gary! This download is also available in the US, though I don't know if anyone offers it in cd-quality audio. For example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seduction-Val-...ords=val+young

There are several Motown titles available as downloads in the US which are not offered here, at least not yet. The Supremes' "Funny Girl", Tata Vega's "Try My Love" and "Given' All My Love", and Mandre's Motown albums come to mind. Or maybe those are available on the UK iTunes or elsewhere but not on Qobuz yet.

I'm happy that I can get "lossless" downloads from Qobuz, but this might not last long - I mentioned in another thread that Qobuz filed for bankruptcy protection. They need to raise some cash or they might not be around much longer.
    Thanks, Calvin. I've already got Val's Amazon download page saved as a "Favorite" for my next batch-of-Motown-downloads session.

Fortunately, I already have The Supremes, Tata Vega, and Mandre's downloads. I still wish we had a one-stop source to check out and discover available Motown CD/download releases. It drives me nuts not knowing what I may be missing.

I remember your concern over the possibility of losing Qobuz. Here's hoping they're able to solve their financial problems and stay afloat. It would be a shame to lose access to such high-quality Motown material.

Take care, Calvin. - Gary