[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bette; "It's the Girls"

http://www.bootlegbetty.com/2014/09/.../#.VCGTM5RdXsY

For her first studio album in eight years, Bette Midler is revisiting some of the vocalists who shaped her the most — girl groups — on It’s The Girls, due Nov. 4 via Warner Bros. Records [[Nov. 10 in the UK via East West Records/Warner Music UK.)

The album spans seven decades of famous girl groups, from ‘30s trios The Boswell Sisters [[the title track) and The Andrews Sisters [[“Bei Mir Bist Du Schön”) to ‘90s R&B legends TLC [[wait til you hear Midler’s cabaret take on “Waterfalls.”)

Midler’s longtime collaborator Marc Shaiman [[Hairspray) handles production.

“I have loved the sound of females harmonizing since I was a kid; I always sang along. Didn’t we all?” Midler tells Billboard. “I think the idea that you could become part of the group was the thing that endeared me to the girl groups. You weren’t just singing along, you were THERE!”

As fashions in music have changed, Midler says, some of the songs had to evolve — hence the country-fied take on The Supremes’ “You Can’t Hurry Love” that appears on It’s The Girls. “Since this is a kind of overview of girl groups, I wanted to re-arrange some of the really popular songs and put a new spin on them; ‘Can’t Hurry Love” being the most extreme example,” Midler says.

“The Boswell Sisters was the first girl group record I ever owned,” she continues. “A friend of my parents gave it to them, and I played it to death. They killed. They are nearly forgotten today. The ’60s were the height of girl-group frenzy, so there were a lot of songs to chose from, but from the ’90s on, my favorites were TLC and Destiny’s Child. ‘Waterfalls’ was a heartbreaker, especially if you were a mom, and it had a big effect on me. I never thought I would have the nerve to sing it, but we had an idea for it that works, and I am so glad I took the chance.”

Though she’s teased retirement from the road over the years, a new tour is in the works, too, a spokeswoman for Midler teases.

Adds Midler of revisiting the many eras of girl groups, “All in all, there is such a rich and emotional history to this music, it’s a joy to dust it off and take another listen…So Bette Midler!”

It’s The Girls Track List:

1. BE MY BABY
    Originally performed by The Ronettes

2. ONE FINE DAY
    Originally performed by The Chiffons

3. BEI MIR BIST DU SCHÖN
    Originally performed by The Andrews Sisters
    All Vocals by Bette Midler

4. BABY IT’S YOU
    Originally performed by The Shirelles

5. TELL HIM
    Originally performed by The Exciters

6. HE’S SURE THE BOY I LOVE [[duet with Darlene Love)
    Originally performed by The Crystals

7. MR. SANDMAN
    Originally performed by The Chordettes

8. COME AND GET THESE MEMORIES
    Originally performed by Martha & The Vandellas

9. TOO MANY FISH IN THE SEA
    Originally performed by The Marvelettes

10. TEACH ME TONIGHT
    Originally performed by The DeCastro Sisters

11. WATERFALLS
    Originally performed by TLC

12. YOU CAN’T HURRY LOVE
    Originally performed by The Supremes

13. GIVE HIM A GREAT BIG KISS
    Originally performed by The Shangri-Las

14. WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME TOMORROW
    Originally performed by The Shirelles

15. IT’S THE GIRL
    Originally performed by The Boswell Sisters

Thanks, marybrewster. Can't wait to hear Bette's new versions of these great girl-group chestnuts!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-23-2014 at 10:09 PM.

A very yummy idea, I'd say. Several years ago, Midler did a great cover of THAT'S HOW HEARTACHES ARE MADE. And what was so great about it is that you could simply tell how much she loved the song. And how much she loved singing it. So this new collection is definitely something I will look forward to. Thanks for the 411 MB.

Attachment 8502

This is great. I love Bette and love the girl groups that she is recognizing here. I was a bit disappointed that she picked Baby Its You for the Shirelles instead of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, but then as I scrolled down the list; I saw that she picked that too. Looking forward to this release. Hope she does do another tour

Now THIS is exciting! Can't wait to hear her takes on these classics. Wonder if she'll use "Harlettes" or multi-track herself?

Wow! Great CD album cover, Methuselah2! Thanks so much for sharing.

I can't wait to get this cd. Love Bette and all these songs. Just wonderful.

What a wonderful concept! Happy to see a generous track listing too. I hate these 8 and 10 track CDs that some artists put out.

It feels like a lifetime since her last album. I've missed her. I wondered if she would ever make another record and if so, what would it be. This looks great.

Miss M has always had great reverence for the girl group genre so this should be a tour de force. I was delighted to see that she duets with Darlene on "He's Sure the Boy I Love." She presented Darlene when Love was inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame and it was evident how greatly she admires her. I was also pleased to see that she gives props to the Boswell Sisters. Those gals were tight and great innovators with their complex close harmonies. I can't wait for this release.

I just saw this and was about to post the article, too! I am very excited for this! She has covered girl groups before and has always done a fantastic job. She always pours a lot of energy and soul into her music, so I can already tell this is going to be a great album. Can't wait!

Uptown / Don't Say Nothin' Bad [[About My Baby) / Da Doo Ron Ron

smark21 Guest
    How's her voice these days? I remember seeing her on a TV show a few years ago. She sang but her voice was pretty shot for that performance.

The idea is a lot better than the tired idea of Duets Duets Duets.

Wonder if she'll use "Harlettes" or multi-track herself?
    Based on the track list it looks like only Tracks 3, 4, & 15 are "All Vocals by Bette Midler" so the others would have other backups I imagine...

I love Bette but that performance of "Up The Ladder To The Roof" is way too frenzied for my taste...

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The idea is a lot better than the tired idea of Duets Duets Duets.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I love Bette but that performance of "Up The Ladder To The Roof" is way too frenzied for my taste...
    Totally agree. "Up The Ladder..." and "Da Doo Ron Ron" in the previous video are taken at such a break-neck pace, it ruins it. It reminds me of The [[1970s) Supremes "In Japan" CD. Motown always speeded up the tempo for most of its artists' live-show material, but the tempo on "In Japan" was ridiculous, at least to my ears. How Jean, Mary & Lynda ever kept up with the choreography without running [[literally) is beyond me!

Especially looking forward to Bette's duet with Darlene Love on "He's Sure The Boy I Love".

Based on the track list it looks like only Tracks 3, 4, & 15 are "All Vocals by Bette Midler" so the others would have other backups I imagine...

Thanks, ejluther. Didn't even catch that in my haste and excitement.

I'm kinda shocked as much as she admired Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles that she didn't at least do "You'll Never Walk Alone" or something...

BBC Radio interview with Bette Midler about upcoming "It's the Girls!" album including song clips. Bette answers the question of which girl group she would've liked to have been a member of ......

http://www.bootlegbetty.com/2014/09/26/bette-midler-chats-about-her-2014-album-its-the-girls-with-song-clips/#.VCeym77cpok

Thanks for posting this. The best question was "do you think you can do this live?" And Bette said yes and that she hopes to do a tour behind it. That is great. I have not seen her perform live in years [[not counting her one woman show on Broadway)

Looking forward to her album and hopefully, her tour.

BBC Radio 2 [[one of the BBC's national radio stations here in The U.K.) broadcast a two hour show hosted by BETTE MIDLER ealier today during which she played and commented upon some of her favourite "Girl Group" records and included an assortment of songs from her "It's The Girls" collection.

The show is available to listen to via the BBC website here ......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hc62b

Being a radio show it should be available for listeners outside of the U.K.

I listened to the show as it was broadcast "live" and there were a few surprises in there ....

Roger

Here's the first full track... this album will EASILY go top 10, there is immense hunger for this kind of stuff.

And you can listen to the entire album being streamed at this link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/publ...dgetHeight=260

CD drops next week

Bette has been signed to a HBO movie depicting Mae West. I was surprised when this recording and a tour to back it was announced, as I thought the film project was imminent. However, with one of the major writers backing out, this project might be stalled, sadly like the much ballyhooed Dolly Parton/ Mae West film project announced some years back.

And while I get Bette's attempt at tongue 'n chic humor, that outfit is worthy of the fashion faux pas usually reserved for Aretha.

Went out & bought the CD today at Target. Target's has 2 extra tracks:
    The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game & [[Talk To Me Of) Mendocino
    Interesting interpretation of "Hunter" very Peggy Lee

smark21 Guest
    Two Marvelette covers, thanks to the Target version of the album. Good that the group is getting such recognition for their quality work.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Two Marvelette covers, thanks to the Target version of the album. Good that the group is getting such recognition for their quality work.
    I agree. Hopefully this will raise some awareness for the campaign to get them into the RRHOF!

The album is fantastic. I've already played through the whole thing almost twice. Her duet with Darlene Love is magnificent. Her cover of "Be My Baby" is one of my favorite covers. Her re-interpretations of some of the other songs are also quite impressive. I am VERY excited to see her performances [[hopefully snag a ticket to her tour)!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacramento John View Post
    Went out & bought the CD today at Target. Target's has 2 extra tracks: The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game & [[Talk To Me Of) Mendocino Interesting interpretation of "Hunter" very Peggy Lee
    I love Bette's version of Hunter. She certainly pays tribute to Motown with 4 covers:
    Come & Get These Memories, Too Many Fish IN Th Sea, You Can't Hurry Love & The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game [[Target Edition exclusive). I love that she's added her spin on them instead of just doing a straight cover. The songs really have her personality and let her abilities shine through. It's a classy release.

I got it early today and made a playlist adding the original songs next to Bette's interpretations. Love the album. Especially like her ballad interpretations of Come and Get These Memories and Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

I added her interpretations of Up The Ladder, Chapel of Love, and Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy to the playlist.

She will be at Madison Square Garden next year. I missed her last tour , but will not miss this one.

Picked this up yesterday; what a treat!

Loks like Bette has a "hit" on her hands; accoring to Amazon, this is #4 in Music [[just behind Taylor Swift, Beyonce' and Pink Floyd [[?) ), and #1 in both Pop [[Vocal Pop) and Broadway and Vocalists.

If you haven't yet, I suggest adding this to your Christmas list. You will NOT be disappointed. "Tell Him" [[Exciters cover), "One Fine Day" [[Chiffons cover) and "Come and Get These Memories" [[Vandellas cover) is worth the price alone.

As suggested, try and pick up the Target version, with two "bonus tracks" [[looks like it's currently sold out online; I found mine in-store).

Picked up a copy at Target this afternoon and it appeared to be the very last one in stock. Lucky me! It's well worth the price of $11.99 [[$2 off the sticker price of $13.99).

Listening to the CD now. I am very pleased with quality and it shows that Ms. Midler's still got what it takes to sing, sing, sing!!!

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Oh, but it was so much fun seeing her doing this LIVE at the time. The whole show was frenetic and a blast. The LIVE album is one of my favorites, especially the Vicki Eydie medley - outrageous.

Here is a clip of Istanbul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVU8dMIHglM

She did this show in 1976, although Ladder was an oldie, it was a rarely played and almost forgotten oldie. It was a delight to see that someone remembered it and gave tribute to this great song. Bette gave it her special treatment and we Supremes fans loved her for it. It would have been a real treat if she had done Nathan Jones for this new CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Thanks, Methuselah2 -- lots of fun, as always! - Gary

Bette was on "Jimmy Fallon" last night, talking about all of the girl groups represented in this new set. She mentioned The Supremes "who were originally The Primettes".

I thought that was pretty cool.

Here is a link to videos of her performance on THE TONIGHT SHOW

http://www.broadwayworld.com/videopl...1#.VFuNZZ0o6M8

Thanks Sacramento John for the heads up. I got my copy at Target last night. It sounds wonderful. Love the new CD.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Thanks Sacramento John for the heads up. I got my copy at Target last night. It sounds wonderful. Love the new CD.
    With the Target edition, I re-ordered the last songs by putting It's The Girl as the last track behind Hunter & Mendecino. The flow is much better.

Maxine Powell said this??

from Bette's Redditt AMA chat in response to the best advice she was ever given...

I told you, we just heard this:
    "If your panties fall down around your ankles, step out of them and keep on singing."
    I tell you - I just heard that! I just heard that, that was said by the woman who was the head of the charm school at Motown Records, who recently passed away, and I was so impressed. I said "that is GENIUS. That is absolute genius. I am quoting that from now on."

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Maxine Powell said this??

from Bette's Redditt AMA chat in response to the best advice she was ever given...

I told you, we just heard this:
    "If your panties fall down around your ankles, step out of them and keep on singing."
    I tell you - I just heard that! I just heard that, that was said by the woman who was the head of the charm school at Motown Records, who recently passed away, and I was so impressed. I said "that is GENIUS. That is absolute genius. I am quoting that from now on."
    Like they say, glen, "The show must go on" -- with or WITHOUT your drawers!

Reminds me of the story about the filming of Alfred Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT [[1944) with Tallulah Bankhead who was known to forego wearing panties.

Because the film was completely shot in a small boat with the camera positioned very low to capture the actors, the cameraman complained that he was picking up a lot more of Miss Bankhead than was probably wanted. He then asked Hitchcock what could be done about it.

Supposedly Hitchcock said, "I'm thinking. I'm trying to decide if I should call wardrobe or hairdressing."

She was on LIVE WITH KELLY & MICHAEL this morning. Here is a link to her BABY ITS YOU performance

http://dadt.com/live/video/livestage...=3880667852001

And here is a recap of her talk with Michael and Kelly.

http://www.recapo.com/live-with-kell...y-performance/

Reminds me of the story about the filming of Alfred Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT [[1944) with Tallulah Bankhead who was known to forego wearing panties.

Because the film was completely shot in a small boat with the camera positioned very low to capture the actors, the cameraman complained that he was picking up a lot more of Miss Bankhead than was probably wanted. He then asked Hitchcock what could be done about it.

Supposedly Hitchcock said, "I'm thinking. I'm trying to decide if I should call wardrobe or hairdressing."
    That always reminds me of another peccadillo of Miss Bankhead: apparently she rather enjoyed the shock value of performing a well timed, spontaneous panty less cartwheel or two, dahling.
    Last edited by LuvHangOva; 11-07-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaa! Methuselah2, you slay me!!!