[REMOVE ADS]

GLADYS HORTON By Charles Thomson - This Article Was Previously Posted On SDF 4-2-11

Although this article was previously posted on the Forum by SDF member Loveblind in April 2011, it's such an exceptionally well-done piece by its author CHARLES THOMSON that I thought a second posting of it might be both appreciated and meaningful to those who have never seen it. Thomson covers an incredible amount of gound, and in top-notch form. It's an encapsulated history of THE MARVELETTES as a group, too, but Thomson has somehow managed to make it comprehensive and in-depth, as well. And, ultimately, very moving.

http://www.charles-thomson.net/marvelettes.html

I remember that article. Wrenching read in 2011. Wrenching re-read 2014.
    Paradox of life: How the people who give your lives so much pleasure often live through
    so much pain. I loved Gladys Horton. Still do. Marvelettes forever....

You said it Splanky--it is a paradox. The balance is so out of kilter with what one gives out and what one gets back and endures. Gladys was so special and remains just that way to a great many of us. She is missed.

The weird thing for me is that just a couple of weeks ago I re-read my own copy of Marc Taylor's Marvelettes book while waiting for a couple of other books to come to me. As a
    kid though I loved listening to the group's recordings on vinyl and/or radio I didn't listen
    to them critically and it never occurred to me that basically they had shifted through 2
    different eras, the Gladys led period of A sides and then the Wanda led one. I just liked
    both of the women's voices so much even when I didn't know who was who. I'll always be grateful to Marc for writing that book because otherwise the odds of their story being told
    would have been like 5 to a google...

Splanky - Thanks very much for bringing up Marc Taylor's book.

Attachment 8483

Methuselah2, thanks for sharing this touching article. I already have a copy of Marc Taylor's excellent Marvelettes book, yet, still, the article attacks the emotions on so many levels -- sadness, shock, disbelief -- it hardly seems possible that so many of our musical heroes and heroines were hurt by the same Motown Record Corporation that we all grew to know and love. I was surprised, however, that Gladys felt that The Marvelettes popularity decreased after the release of "Too Many Fish In The Sea". I mean, sure, Motown's main priorities were suddenly devoted to The Supremes, but, when Wanda took over with all lead vocals for singles release, to me, that was when The Marvelettes became the most popular. My first Marvelettes single was "Too Many Fish In The Sea", and I remained faithful by purchasing each and every single/album release thereafter. In fact, all of their singles got AM radio airplay in the small-town area where I grew up -- right up through and including "That's How Heartaches Are Made." After that, the airplay seemed to stop.

I was shocked and saddened to learn that, after all she has been through, Wanda is now in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimers. It strikes especially close to home since my own grandmother was stricken with it, as is my mother. There oughta be a law.

Despite what The Marvelettes may have felt, they have remained one of my all-time favorite Motown groups. I can only hope they know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Methuselah2, thanks for sharing this touching article. I already have a copy of Marc Taylor's excellent Marvelettes book, yet, still, the article attacks the emotions on so many levels -- sadness, shock, disbelief -- it hardly seems possible that so many of our musical heroes and heroines were hurt by the same Motown Record Corporation that we all grew to know and love. I was surprised, however, that Gladys felt that The Marvelettes popularity decreased after the release of "Too Many Fish In The Sea". I mean, sure, Motown's main priorities were suddenly devoted to The Supremes, but, when Wanda took over with all lead vocals for singles release, to me, that was when The Marvelettes became the most popular. My first Marvelettes single was "Too Many Fish In The Sea", and I remained faithful by purchasing each and every single/album release thereafter. In fact, all of their singles got AM radio airplay in the small-town area where I grew up -- right up through and including "That's How Heartaches Are Made." After that, the airplay seemed to stop.

I was shocked and saddened to learn that, after all she has been through, Wanda is now in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimers. It strikes especially close to home since my own grandmother was stricken with it, as is my mother. There oughta be a law.

Despite what The Marvelettes may have felt, they have remained one of my all-time favorite Motown groups. I can only hope they know that.
    thank u meth for bringing up this article i never read it and i was deeply touched, i was a marvelettes fan thru and thru and my favorite era was the gladys era, although wanda turned out side beautiful sides. I was the one who inspired marc t to do the book. I met him in city hall park and told him i knew catherine and gladys
    Gladys gave limited phone interviews while catherine invited him to inkster for interviews. Reading this article hit home showing just how important the marvelettes were to the record buyers and motown should have embraced their artistry with accolades. Thank god for gladys horton without her the marvelettes would not have been, and catherine made sure to let gladys know that before she left this earth. Im so glad the marvelettes name is controlled by catherine now.

Aww, so sad to hear about Wanda... but I guess her time is coming. She's survived this long and yet she's only 70...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I remember that article. Wrenching read in 2011. Wrenching re-read 2014.
    Paradox of life: How the people who give your lives so much pleasure often live through
    so much pain. I loved Gladys Horton. Still do. Marvelettes forever....
    Very well said and heart felt. From reading about the group and listening to their music over the years and recently seeing the play here in Chicago, The Marvelettes have become my favorite female singing group. It's a true joy to listen to their music.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Very well said and heart felt. From reading about the group and listening to their music over the years and recently seeing the play here in Chicago, The Marvelettes have become my favorite female singing group. It's a true joy to listen to their music.
    What were your thoughts on the play? I saw it in August and it help re-ignite my interest in The Marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    What were your thoughts on the play? I saw it in August and it help re-ignite my interest in The Marvelettes.
    It did the same thing for me. I liked the play and it was nice to be able to meet the players after the show. I joked with the young lady who played Wanda by saying "Wanda was a shorty." The young lady had the same skin color but was taller. She smiled and said "I know." Jackie Taylor's plays always get good reviews and go a long way in helping you get a freshened perspective on an artist or group. I'm glad Wanda is still around. Anyone know if she has ever visited Soulful Detroit?

RossHolloway Guest
    Interesting article, if not totally complete/detailed. They were a great group and I'm glad that folks are still listening to their music and that they are not forgotten.