[REMOVE ADS]

O'Jays on Later with Jools Holland

Yes, didn't see this one coming. The O'Jays were on the above show in the UK Tuesday night, with a longer version of the show this coming Friday [[BBC2, 11.20pm).
    They talked with Holland about their roots, and then did Love Train. Walt and Eddie looking a little older, but they were still the stars of the show [[the other acts were dire)

Just watched the DVD recording from last night, sadly I could not manage watching live such diverse music, I often wonder what audience Jools appeals to?

Of course the guys were on top, but I thought at times their vocal sound levels were a little low compared to the other varied artists, "People get Ready" seemed very low, "Love Train" was so well arranged and performed top vocals, so disappointed I can't make the O2, as Jools pointed out it is 20 years since I last saw the guys live.

Credit to the programme though they had Edwin Starr on before he left us, then Jimmy Ruffin performed some years back with Jools, who can play those ivory keys so well! and never needs any music sheet!

Just hope they may put London on DVD that would be a great gift.

YouTube never let us down for those interested in the USA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ6CfwxlKng
    Last edited by jaybs; 09-17-2014 at 06:32 AM.

And acapella O'Jays on same show

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention they did a short section of People Get Ready after they talked with Jools.
    The Friday show is usually longer, so perhaps we'll get more. And having had their most 'popular' tune, Love Train, what's the betting it's Backstabbers? And that will suite me just fine.

THE MIGHTY O'JAYS!!!
    First saw the live at The Apollo in 1967 when there were 5 of them and they were so great. Eddie's charisma stood out way back then! Went to many shows after that.
    Gerald Alston introduced me to my favorite living lead singer of a group Eddie Levert, Sr.
    I don't think there's many around today to know just how fabulous they were!!!

S.S,

Soul Sister: As JayBS hinted, the guys are playing a couple of dates at the O2 Arena in London, a pretty prestigious gig. So more people [[not me I'm afraid) will be able to see and hear the wonder that is Eddie Levert, and his equally talented partner Walter Williams, who is one of my favourite living lead singers.

Just edited the longer edition DVD from last night, it was slightly different, a new interview were the O'Jay's Eddie and Walter discussed how they met in the interval of an High School exam, then how they met Gamble & Huff when they came to see The Intruders to sign them, and they guys introduced them, they showed a clip from The Hammersmith Odeon Concert on 1988. Later they performed Back Stabbers and just before the end the repeat of Love Train.

So would love to have seen them in London!

Any "back in the day" footage of the O'Jays?

BTW, Jimmy performed on Jools' show a couple times. We went to his studio and Jimmy did a track for Jools' CD. He put us up near his studio in the haunted honeymoon suite of a hotel, cannot thing of the name of that hotel. LOL.....it was haunted!

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Any "back in the day" footage of the O'Jays?
    The O'Jays footage they showed last night on BBC2 was from 1988 at London Hammersmith, this video does not look the same quality.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-9O8...love_of_money/

OH NO...I saw them live many times during that whole decade.
    * I was speaking of mid 1960's thru mid 1970's when they were at their best.
    I am pretty sure there is no footage around of the 5 of them from the 60's, there is some Soul Train footage from the 70's.

S.S.

I was speaking of mid 1960's thru mid 1970's when they were at their best.

Take your pick of many video's and tracks!

http://www.metacafe.com/topics/o%27jays/

A full Concert at The Appolo 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrtn56icTbU

wonder_woman Guest
    Well I am one very lucky lady who saw the fabulous O'Jays on Friday night in London at my favourite venue...a sell-out....just brilliant in every sense of the word... even had Maxi Priest on stage joining the fun.....great night indeed.

OH NO...I saw them live many times during that whole decade.
    * I was speaking of mid 1960's thru mid 1970's when they were at their best.
    I am pretty sure there is no footage around of the 5 of them from the 60's, there is some Soul Train footage from the 70's.

S.S.
    I've seen some footage of them as a quintet singing LIPSTICK TRACES and a song called GIRL MACHINE or something like that. It was on the show SHIVAREE, so I'm assuming it was 1965 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've seen some footage of them as a quintet singing LIPSTICK TRACES and a song called GIRL MACHINE or something like that. It was on the show SHIVAREE, so I'm assuming it was 1965 or so.
    Yes Reece ... I have a [[probably not 100% legitimate) DVD that contains them singing "Lipstick Traces" .. and here it is ...

Roger

Yes Roger, I have that [[ahem) DVD. That's Walter lip-synching the lead.

OH Yes! Now I remember this on Shivaree and wished they did "Stand In For Love" & "Lonely Drifter". From their Imperial album. When they did these two songs at the Apollo a couple years later they were off the hook! Especially on "Stand In For Love", Eddie killed it!!!

Thanks You!! This was before they did their own steps and choreography with Cholly Atkins.

S.S.

Eddie is just so good.
    I saw the O'Jays [[Billy Paul & the Intruders) at Hammersmith 73 and 2 days later again in Dunstable. The second gig I was stood up front right below Eddie and was blown away. One song [[from Backstabbers) "When the Worlds at peace" was something else,Strobe city,I nearly fell over! They recorded the Hammersmith show for the O'jays live in London LP and Billy Paul Live in Europe. There was rumour of a live Intruders LP from that show recently but I never heard of one.
    Another thing from the Dunstable gig.. Dave Lee Travis was sat on stage with them while they performed.

Tamla617, I caught that Tour in Southport, what an evening it was each & every act superb! but the O'Jays just amazing & outstanding.

jaybs

Those were the days! I've still got my ticket from the Hammersmith gig,Dunstable's California ballrooms just stamped your hand. I haven't washed it since!

tamla 617

I never washed my hand for ages after Diana Ross kissed my hand! lol

My 2nd favorite group of all time [[Spinners 1st), and the first record I ever bought was the 45 of Love Train/Who Am I, wich prompted me to buy "Backstabbers" and the rest is history. Have only seen them twice in concert, both times truly outstanding. They can do little wrong in my book! Fabulous singers and entertainers. Just a tremendous group.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    tamla 617

I never washed my hand for ages after Diana Ross kissed my hand! lol
    Stick it ebay , 2nd hand items sell well!