[REMOVE ADS]

NIle Rogers Wants Diana Ross On His Next CHIC Album

Nile told the interviewer that he wants DIana Ross to perform on his next album, and also said that the interviewer is getting a scoop because Nile hasn't called DIana yet. I guess she know it now. He also said that he would advise her to play at some festival [[I couldn't understand the name of which one) and said that not only would he advise her to perform there, but he would play there with her. Video interview is at below link

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/inte...oQ2YYR0y6DbSaH

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Nile told the interviewer that he wants DIana Ross to perform on his next album, and also said that the interviewer is getting a scoop because Nile hasn't called DIana yet. I guess she know it now. He also said that he would advise her to play at some festival [[I couldn't understand the name of which one) and said that not only would he advise her to perform there, but he would play there with her. Video interview is at below link

Rodgers must be referring to the Glastonbury festival, they are expecting Diana to play at the festival next year here in the U.K., so that must be what he wants to advise her about, it really would be something having Nile play with Diana at the festival if it happens.

It would be so great as well if Diana could work again with Rodgers on his new album, he's big again on the music scene now.

Diana Ross is really in demand. From the producers of the Glastonbury festival, to Nile Rogers, and I just read that the producer of the "American Horror Story" wants her to join the cast. She has many options.

As long as it's more Upside Down disco bliss rather than Working Overtime New Jack Swing dross from Nile I am ready for it....

New Jack Swing was in the early 90's. I would like to hear something like the collaboration between Daft Punk and Nile Rogers. Daft Punk, Nile Rogers and Diana Ross would be a good project.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    As long as it's more Upside Down disco bliss rather than Working Overtime New Jack Swing dross from Nile I am ready for it....
    Amen to THAT!!!

1) I'm more interested in a new Chic album than his solo project or and guest singers.
    2) I don't give a damn about any remixes.
    3) Sorry to sound negative. I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Diana Ross is really in demand. From the producers of the Glastonbury festival, to Nile Rogers, and I just read that the producer of the "American Horror Story" wants her to join the cast. She has many options.
    I, for one, would like to see her do another movie or a guest arc on a television show. She really has a gift as an actress and it has been underused.

smark21 Guest
    Meanwhile Nile Rodgers has been working with Duran Duran on their next album.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...duce-new-album

As a great long time fan and with total respect for Miss Ross, I feel that she has made a conscious decision to no longer record. I can think of a few reasons, but that is not necessary. Her professionalism causes her not to announce or defend her choice, but I am certain that she has made this decision based on her anecdotal remarks, etc., over the past few years., As one example, she is quoted as saying, "I will only retire when I feel that my voice is not the voice that I have been known for."

My guess: Her voice still holds up for 75 minute concerts, but perhaps not in the recording studio. No fault.....no blame. The legacy lives!

I admire her for not making this a public issue.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    As a great long time fan and with total respect for Miss Ross, I feel that she has made a conscious decision to no longer record. I can think of a few reasons, but that is not necessary. Her professionalism causes her not to announce or defend her choice, but I am certain that she has made this decision based on her anecdotal remarks, etc., over the past few years., As one example, she is quoted as saying, "I will only retire when I feel that my voice is not the voice that I have been known for."

My guess: Her voice still holds up for 75 minute concerts, but perhaps not in the recording studio. No fault.....no blame. The legacy lives!

I really feel it has more to do with her not having a recording contract with a major record company on her terms. If she can perform for75 minutes for several nights a week... Her voice can certainly hold up to record for a few nights in a recording studio.

Damn! It's so good to see Nile at work again like he was in the 80s. I guess the visit to Planet C lit a fire. He's working on a new Chic album with Daft Punk, his own solo album, and now Duran Duran. I love it! And, now he should make damn sure everyone knows he co-wrote "We Are Family"! I don't want him to ever have to experience what he did that day in a NY coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post

Provocative speculation like this shouldn't be entertained here anymore. The last thing we need around here are rumors like this spread around based on "feeling" and interpretations of Ross' words. You know what kind of arguments that results in. I thought the forum has moved beyond that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by soulster; 09-17-2014 at 01:41 AM.

I really don't find anything provocative in longtimefans Posting at all. I think he makes a very valid point based on Diana's past comments. This as he said may or may not be correct. I myself found nothing derogative in expressing a point of view in this way. Call me old-fashioned if you like.

I see nothing provocative with longtimefans posting either. Nothing insulting was said about Diana or a poster.

However, I agree with vgalindo. If Diana can travel from town to town giving live performances to standing ovation sold out audiences, she surely is in good enough voice to go in a studio and record a song with all the recording techniques that are available for today's singers, many of who have less talent than DIana, and many other of singers of her generation, have in their pinky.

The music industry caters to the young. Some older singers can get a record deal , but then have to either sing an album of standards, remake of their own hits, or a duets album with contemporary singers. Even Barbara Streisand has gone the duets route.
    Last edited by milven; 09-17-2014 at 08:06 AM.

smark21 Guest
    If Diana Ross were to record another album, I rather have her do an album of new material [[for her) rather than remakes of old hits, or a cheesy duets album full of syrupy production and arrangements.

Does anyone remember what year Diana accepted her Lifetime Grammy? If I am not mistaken, I believe this was AFTER the release of "I Love You". If that indeed is the case, at 2:00-ish, she mentions "going back into the studio to record." I wonder what became of that?

Personally, I'd like to see Diana take on a "songbook"; much like Bette Midler did with Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee. Mabe Ella? Or Etta?

I don't believe Diana has decided to never record again. It's more rigorous to sing for 75 minutes straight while dancing or working both sides of a big stage than to stand in a vocal booth and do a few takes of a song or two per session. [[If Michael Masser were producing her and needing 50 vocal takes like he's been known to demand I could see it as a strain though.)

It's been 8 years since the last album. This is the longest drought of studio sets we've seen but remember we went 7 years between Every Day Is A New Day and I Love You so the gap still is within the usual timeframe. Heck, we've been waiting 22 years since Walk The Line for Mary to release another studio set and we know it's completed!

I just think Diana is waiting for the right concept and label to move forward. The last set was a covers collection so I could see why Diana wouldn't hurry to do another since that's usually what major labels want from an artist after age 50. She's also become a grandmother and by all accounts been enjoying her life and family immensely this past decade. After all that burning ambition to get to and stay at the top in her youth she's probably just taking the time to enjoy the things she missed while conquering stage, screen, and charts in her youth. I've got my money in my fist like Billy Dee in LSTB ready to buy her [[or any other Supreme) next album. Somedays I feel like saying "You want my arm to fall off?" while waiting for it but if it never comes she and the other ladies have left me plenty to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I really don't find anything provocative in longtimefans Posting at all. I think he makes a very valid point based on Diana's past comments. This as he said may or may not be correct. I myself found nothing derogative in expressing a point of view in this way. Call me old-fashioned if you like.
    Hey guys, I didn't say longtimefan was insulting, just that the kind of groundless speculation he/she served up isn't conducive to the type of discussion Ralph wants here. It is the type of talk that causes silly arguments and rumors. Someone not a member here could come in here and read that post, and, you know how people are. They could walk away thinking Ross has said in some way that she's retiring, and her voice isn't up to par anymore. Next thing you know, we'll have blogs and Twitter posts with her people to kill the rumor. Far-fetched scenario? No. That type of thing happens.

Are Nile and Diana not on speaking terms? Funny he would try to solicit Diana via interview rather than just ringing her up properly. What's the chance Diana would even see this? Wasn't Tyler Perry going around for a while doing the same thing, trying to get Diana in one of his movies? Diana is straight-up business woman; I don't think she plays these hinting games.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Hey guys, I didn't say longtimefan was insulting, just that the kind of groundless speculation he/she served up isn't conducive to the type of discussion Ralph wants here. It is the type of talk that causes silly arguments and rumors. Someone not a member here could come in here and read that post, and, you know how people are. They could walk away thinking Ross has said in some way that she's retiring, and her voice isn't up to par anymore. Next thing you know, we'll have blogs and Twitter posts with her people to kill the rumor. Far-fetched scenario? No. That type of thing happens.
    Well if someone, not a member, read longtimefan's post and got the impression that he said that Ross was retiring and her voice is not up to par; perhaps that person should take a reading comprehension course or become more familiar with Ross. Her schedule and activities surely do not imply that she is retiring. And I don't think anything in this thread imlies it either.

I hope Nile can convince Diana to participate on his project. I love his arrangements and her voice. It would be a good collaboration.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Does anyone remember what year Diana accepted her Lifetime Grammy? If I am not mistaken, I believe this was AFTER the release of "I Love You". If that indeed is the case, at 2:00-ish, she mentions "going back into the studio to record." I wonder what became of that?

Personally, I'd like to see Diana take on a "songbook"; much like Bette Midler did with Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee. Mabe Ella? Or Etta?

This was 2012. Unfortunately, it was during this ceremony that the news of Whitney Houston's death was confirmed.

Well if someone, not a member, read longtimefan's post and got the impression that he said that Ross was retiring and her voice is not up to par; perhaps that person should take a reading comprehension course or become more familiar with Ross. Her schedule and activities surely do not imply that she is retiring. And I don't think anything in this thread imlies it either.
    longtimefan's thread seemed to imply it.

Don't you think that this forum has moved beyond that type of speculation? We want the big names to come in here. That type of talk scares them away. I know for a fact that industry people seriously dislike speculation and innuendo. They like facts.

I've said my piece about this.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    longtimefan's thread seemed to imply it.

Don't you think that this forum has moved beyond that type of speculation? We want the big names to come in here. That type of talk scares them away. I know for a fact that industry people seriously dislike speculation and innuendo. They like facts.

I've said my piece about this.
    I've expressed my opinion. Longtimefan expressed his opinion and you expressed your opinion. That's kinda the purpose of a message board. To express opinions and have civil conversations.

But now I am off topic, so I guess I've said my piece about this too.

Here is a thought to share concerning longtimefan's post. All singers voices will erode over time, but does that necessarily mean that they have no relevance? Point in case is Billie Holiday. Here is a review of her last album, "Lady In Satin."

This was her penultimate album, recorded when her body was telling her enough was enough. During the sessions with arranger Ray Ellis she was drinking vodka neat, as if it were tap water. Yet, for all her ravaged voice [[the sweetness had long gone), she was still an incredible singer. The feeling and tension she manages to put into almost every track set this album as one of her finest achievements. "You've Changed" and "I Get Along Without You Very Well" are high art performances from the singer who saw life from the bottom upwards.

Diana's voice may have gone to hell for a while there when she was drinking so heavily, but just check out some of her recent concerts on YouTube. She's looking and sounding fabulous. I saw her perform live this past June. Her voice was right on and she's still got the magic! Three standing ovations proved it.

No duets album please. Yes to a movie of any kind. Yes to a special album, someday. No rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    You know how many people still use new jack swing as a musical reference these days? No one. But people still love disco lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    You know how many people still use new jack swing as a musical reference these days? No one. But people still love disco...
    New Jack Swing, like early 80s R&B, is forgotten except when Janet Jackson is mentioned. And, then, people don't even think of her music as being NJS, but much of it was, and she was at the forefront of it.

A year ago, I created a NJS collection, one that I believe has never been attempted by any of the labels. I think I will post it to see what those of you who liked the style think. And, I like to think that my comps capture the essence of an era. I think those of you who have seen lists of my yearly comps agree.

I also agree that going back the late 70s would be the best option. Nile Rodgers did that with Daft Punk last year, and I believe that it is what he is doing with them for the upcoming Chic and Duran Duran albums.