[REMOVE ADS]

Lonely teardrops- jose feliciano

What you did not see on the broadcast version of Motown 25:

Marv, I love his version of that! And, especially, "I Wanna Be Where You Are". That was a cool Motown album, for sure. - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, I love his version of that! And, especially, "I Wanna Be Where You Are". That was a cool Motown album, for sure. - Gary
    He did a superb job with it no doubt. He also nailed this old Supremes number........

Marv, surely Jose's video performance of "Lonely Teardrops" will be included on Star Vista's new deluxe DVD package of Motown 25. They're shipping the pre-orders out this coming week [[of Sept. 15th). Let's keep our fingers crossed that we'll have this performance to watch over and over! - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Marv, surely Jose's video performance of "Lonely Teardrops" will be included on Star Vista's new deluxe DVD package of Motown 25. They're shipping the pre-orders out this coming week [[of Sept. 15th). Let's keep our fingers crossed that we'll have this performance to watch over and over! - Gary
    Gary, I've had this performance for 29 years already LOL! It was the on the VHS released in '85.

Having recently obtained 3 of his 4 Motown albums on CD I'm a huge fan of Jose's Motown output. These albums are classy to say the least. The missing one is "Me Enamore" which is released on CD on another label - I will buy this as soon as I see it at a reasonable price. There are no tracks that I don't like and some have become firm favourites [["I Wanna Be Where You Are", "Lonely Teardrops" and "I Second That Emotion" always were). One to mention in particular is "The Drought Is Over" which is as autobiographical a song as you'll find anywhere and includes the line "The drought is over, Berry Gordy is my friend".

This was a great recording. It was played on the radio a few times but it was never promoted as a potential hit single for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Having recently obtained 3 of his 4 Motown albums on CD I'm a huge fan of Jose's Motown output. These albums are classy to say the least. The missing one is "Me Enamore" which is released on CD on another label - I will buy this as soon as I see it at a reasonable price. There are no tracks that I don't like and some have become firm favourites [["I Wanna Be Where You Are", "Lonely Teardrops" and "I Second That Emotion" always were). One to mention in particular is "The Drought Is Over" which is as autobiographical a song as you'll find anywhere and includes the line "The drought is over, Berry Gordy is my friend".
    Mysterysinger, unlike "Dan The Disco Man" [[which I did buy just to have in my Motown collection!), you’ve steered me in the right direction this time as I just purchased Jose Feliciano’s 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Motown albums as downloads this past evening. [[I had already purchased his 1st one a few months ago, but had no idea that the others were available in any digital format, be it CD or download). These are really beautiful. Thank you so much! [[See my new thread above titled "A Few More Motown CD/Download Discoveries" for acess to the Amazon links.) - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-19-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Gary these are indeed beautiful albums and just get better with each play. I'm glad you were able to source these as downloads and are enjoying them. Sorry about "Dan The Banjo Man" - just my wry sense of humour but the man behind that, Phil Cordell, also had a hand in several UK Mowest releases [[and some Rare Earth label ones too) including a nice version of Neil Sedaka's "Laughter In The Rain" under his own name. Question for you - which Motown record included "He's A Rebel" by The Crystals?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gary, I've had this performance for 29 years already LOL! It was the on the VHS released in '85.
    Sorry I missed this before, Marv. Yeah, I've still got that old thing, too! Unfortunately, although I bought the deluxe 6-disc DVD version, I've gotta hang on to that old VHS relic just to have the peace/power sign that Berry flashed at Diana which somehow got left out of the new version.

Gary these are indeed beautiful albums and just get better with each play. I'm glad you were able to source these as downloads and are enjoying them. Sorry about "Dan The Banjo Man" - just my wry sense of humour but the man behind that, Phil Cordell, also had a hand in several UK Mowest releases [[and some Rare Earth label ones too) including a nice version of Neil Sedaka's "Laughter In The Rain" under his own name. Question for you - which Motown record included "He's A Rebel" by The Crystals?
    Mysterysinger, maybe one day I'll get a chance to hear some of Phil Cordel's other Motown/Rare Earth/MoWest material.

The Crystals "He's a Rebel" reissued on Motown was on the LP/CD "Girl Groups - The Story Of A Sound", which was the companion CD to the excellent book and VHS/DVD documentary on the Girl Group genre.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-18-2014 at 05:11 PM.

[QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;264023]Mysterysinger, maybe one day I'll get a chance to hear some of Phil Cordel's other Motown/Rare Earth/MoWest material.

The Crystals "He's a Rebel" reissued on Motown was on the LP/CD "Girl Groups - The Story Of A Sound" LP/CD.
    [QUOTE=Philles/Motown Gary;264023]

<Whoa! No it wasn’t, Mysterysinger. I take that back. I looked it up [[after I replied incorrectly, of course) and The Crystals "He’s A Rebel" was NOT on the Girl Groups Motown LP/CD [[although the Dixie Cups, The Shangri-Las, The Angels, and other non-Motown groups were included. Go figure!). I would have to say that I honestly don’t know the answer to your question. The answer is either "No Motown record contained The Crystals "He’s A Rebel", or else it was on a U.K.-only release. You’ve got me wondering now! Was this a trick question, or does such a release really exist? - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-19-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Well, mysterysinger, you've really got me stumped! Having remembered that The Shangri-Las were contained within its hallowed pages, I got out my copy of Graham Betts' Motown Encyclopedia, which is bursting at the seams with Motown info., confident and sure that I would find The Crystals listed which would finally solve the mystery, but I was not successful. Then I looked it up in my other Motown Bible -- Heat Wave: The Motown Fact Book, rich with Motown's complete discographies. I could have sworn that the U.K. section would solve this riddle once and for all, but The Crystals' name was as elusive in the U.K. releases as it was in the U.S. listing. How the marriage of a Philles recording with the Motown family of labels could have escaped me after all these years is truly baffling. With that in mind, I'm afraid I give up! Do tell, on what Motown release did The Crystals' He's A Rebel appear? [[Hurry if you can -- it's driving me nuts!)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-19-2014 at 01:43 AM.

In the past, I was never a Jose Feliciano fan, but hearing his four 1980's Motown-album releases for the first time has given me a whole new respect for the guy. The two Spanish-language albums [[Me Enamore and Escenas De Amor) are especially tender and romantic. I’m dying to know, Mysterysinger – on Me Enamore, Track 7 – who is the female singing the Spanish-language duet with Jose of Eterno Amor [[Diana’s & Lionel’s Endless Love)? Without the luxury of liner notes and track-by-track annotation, we’re left totally in the dark by the soul-less, generic downloads. Might your CD copies list her name in the credits? I sure would love to know. Her voice is beautiful, and they’re really impressive together! - Gary

Gary the answer to the Crystals question can be found on The Complete Motown Singles Volume 3. You would probably only know it if you had listened to "The Interview [[Summit Chanted Meeting)" recently, which I unfortunately did and wish I hadn't!. Otherwise it is really one to forget. Even Darlene Love can't make this a good record - but she can be found singing "He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good" as part of that Melody release.

With regard to Jose Feliciano I'm 100% with you. Aside from "Light My Fire" which I have always adored by him, I've not been a huge fan. But those Motown albums are something special and I now listen to themregularly.

Sadly, I don't yet have "Me Enamore" which has been released by Universal on CD, but not on Motown. I will wait to get a CD copy of this when funds permit [[much prefer physical to downloads).

Close inspection reveals the female voice on "Para Decir Adios" [[on Escenas De Amor) to be Ann Kelley. Other vocals on the album provided by Rhonda Revira, Christine Rutherford and Linda Harman.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-19-2014 at 12:47 PM.

You can find the covers etc. in my Flickr albums...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7649771975756/

Gary the answer to the Crystals question can be found on The Complete Motown Singles Volume 3. You would probably only know it if you had listened to "The Interview [[Summit Chanted Meeting)" recently, which I unfortunately did and wish I hadn't!. Otherwise it is really one to forget. Even Darlene Love can't make this a good record - but she can be found singing "He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good" as part of that Melody release.
    Oh, that’s right, Mysterysinger – The Interview [[Summit Chanted Evening)! I had forgotten all about that God-awful thing! I can’t remember if I played my copy of that novelty disaster all the way through or not; probably not. Either way, I’m sure I subconsciously blocked it out [[Darlene and all)!

With regard to Jose Feliciano I'm 100% with you. Aside from "Light My Fire" which I have always adored by him, I've not been a huge fan. But those Motown albums are something special and I now listen to themregularly.

Sadly, I don't yet have "Me Enamore" which has been released by Universal on CD, but not on Motown. I will wait to get a CD copy of this when funds permit [[much prefer physical to downloads).

Close inspection reveals the female voice on "Para Decir Adios" [[on Escenas De Amor) to be Ann Kelley. Other vocals on the album provided by Rhonda Revira, Christine Rutherford and Linda Harman.
    Mysterysinger, I, too, would have much preferred the CD versions. Unfortunately, the only CD copies advertised on Amazon [[U.S) were by third-party, price-gouging dealers who wanted over $50.00 for a copy. I might do that for a rare classic 1960's Motown CD, but not Motown’s 1980's material. With that in mind, I ended up settling for Jose Feliciano’s downloads. If downloads are the only way I could get his four Motown releases, then I’m still glad to have them. His music is well worth it.

Oh, Ann Kelley. Thanks! She and Jose are magical together on the Spanish-language version of Endless Love.

You can find the covers etc. in my Flickr albums...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...7649771975756/
    Thanks again, Mysterysinger. Very interesting. I’ve learned a lot about rare [[in the U.S.) Motown CD releases just from your CD-cover photos that you've posted! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Here are Jose Feliciano and Ann Kelley [[not Kelly as far as i know) on "Eterno Amor" aka "Endless Love"....

And here are Jose Feliciano and Ann Kelley performing "Para Decir Adios" live on stage.

SAMBA PA TI

Here are Jose Feliciano and Ann Kelley [[not Kelly as far as i know) on "Eterno Amor" aka "Endless Love"....
    Hey, thanks for sharing that with all of us, Mysterysinger. Although Diana & Lionel's rendition will forever reign THE ultimate version, Jose & Ann's version is right up there, too. Like you said, the more you hear Jose's Motown material, the more you love it. And I love it already!

Although the album "Me Enamore" is listed on Amazon USA it cannot be bought from Amazon in the UK. There is a CD on Ebay but with customs charges too, the cost is prohibitive.

However, I did find this "Ayer, Hoy y Siempre" which is available both in the UK and the USA and contains both of Jose's Latin Motown albums on CD plus [[by all accounts) a brilliant DVD of a concert in Chile. A no-brrainer so I've gone for this. An example below...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-28-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Revived thread for post 23 - "Samba Pa Ti" - immaculate.

Love Jose Feliciano's music. Always have. I also love his covers of famous songs such as:

SAMBA PA TI

Thank you for bringing this song back up. Great!

This is fantastic - "Billie Jean" by Jose Feliciano [[yes there are vocals also on this track)...

Not forgetting......

Not forgetting......
    That is just so great. Soulful! Thank you Mysterysinger!