[REMOVE ADS]

Diana & Marvin album question

It has been said many times that the vocal tracks for this album were recorded separately. However, having listened to Include Me In Your Life [[for the umpteenth time lol) I think it sounds like they recorded at least some of it together.

I say this as the ad-libs seem to flow very well between them suggesting that they were very well scripted or that it was natural in the studio.

I wonder what other Motowners think?

I've always heard that most of the duet albums are recorded separately; because it was Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye and they were huge stars, a big deal was made of it.

they recorded a few tracks together..
    she was pregnant and complained about the 'pot smoking' and from that point on, the other tracks were done minus each other, as I seem to recall reading about..

I think they only recorded the Ashford and Simpson tracks together. According to J. Randy's book, the trouble started with Hal Davis' DON'T KNOCK MY LOVE.

After recording their vocals separately, they could have gone back into the studio to record lines that made it seem as if they were together.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    It has been said many times that the vocal tracks for this album were recorded separately. However, having listened to Include Me In Your Life [[for the umpteenth time lol) I think it sounds like they recorded at least some of it together.

I say this as the ad-libs seem to flow very well between them suggesting that they were very well scripted or that it was natural in the studio.

I wonder what other Motowners think?
    According to Ralph and Russ Terrana, Diana & Marvin recorded one song "together". For the rest of the songs, they each recorded the songs separately, and then the best parts of each solo performance were put together to form a "duet" [[just as some of Tammi Terrell's duets with Marvin originated as solo Tammy recordings. Since Russ Terrana engineered the tracks for the Diana & Marvin sessions, he and Ralph talk about that first infamous session, including the "joint/pregnancy" issue! Here's the YouTube link. Give it a watch -- it's a hoot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMt18phyFZs

For the benefit of new members of the Motown Forum, Ralph and Russ have graciously shared their memories of working at Motown on a number of videos, all of which are easily accessible on YouTube. - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-12-2014 at 12:46 AM.

there is a picture somewhere of them together in the recording studio but I cant remember where I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    there is a picture somewhere of them together in the recording studio but I cant remember where I saw it.
    In the coffee table book THE MOTOWN ALBUM, there's a photo of Diana and Marvin in the studio with Ashford and Simpson.

RossHolloway Guest
    Question: do both sets of solo recordings for this album exist?

thanks reese...that's where I must have seen it.

hey, Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    [B][I]According to Ralph and Russ Terrana, Diana & Marvin recorded one song "together".
    I wonder if this is Include Me In Your Life? Perhaps Love Twins as an alternative?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    hey, Gary!
    Yo, Jimi!!!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.

I have no idea, rovereab. I kinda got the impression that another Motown engineer handled the first real Diana/Marvin duet session; otherwise Russ Terrana would have remembered it. Russ' first experience with the dynamic "duo" was the pot/pregnancy session. From that point on, they sang their performances separately.

I once read that there are some previously-unreleased Ashford & Simpson tracks from the Diana/Marvin sessions. If they're anything like "Just Say, Just Say", I'd love to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I've always heard that most of the duet albums are recorded separately; because it was Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye and they were huge stars, a big deal was made of it.
    I have always heard that the first album recorded separately was Blue Rose by Rosemary Clooney and Duke Ellington. He recorded the music and the tapes were sent to where she was performing so she could add her vocals. They didn't really want anyone to know that it had been recorded separately. I didn't really think it was a big deal that Diana & Marvin recorded separately because most of the album sounded like they were together.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Good question. I would imagine they do, since Tammi Terrell's original solo vocals [[which ended up as Marvin & Tammi duets) were released on Marvin & Tammi's "Complete Duets" 2-disc CD set. I'm sure that Motown would never intentionally discard anything, especially sessions by two of their biggest superstar acts. I would love to own a CD [[or download, if necessary) copy of each of them. It would presents the songs in a whole new fresh perspective.

I think the two sets of vocals must exist as the remixed Stop, Look, Listen has additional vocals from both artists when compared with the original.

Whilst we have already benefited from the expanded Diana & Marvin there is still scope for a major revamp of the album to include the full length versions of You're A Special Part Of Me and Pledging My Love together with the alternate takes of My Mistake and Don't Knock My Love. A brighter mix wouldn't go amiss either as I feel the original album sounds a bit lacking in "top end".

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I have no idea, Ross. I kinda got the impression that another Motown engineer handled the first real Diana/Marvin duet session; otherwise Russ Terrana would have remembered it. Russ' first experience with the dynamic "duo" was the pot/pregnancy session. From that point on, they sang their performances separately.

I once read that there are some previously-unreleased Ashford & Simpson tracks from the Diana/Marvin sessions. If they're anything like "Just Say, Just Say", I'd love to hear them.

No, Russ would have been the sole engineer for a project like that. Berry wouldn't have had it any other way. When you consider the scope of my brother's work, its a miracle he can remember anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    No, Russ would have been the sole engineer for a project like that. Berry wouldn't have had it any other way. When you consider the scope of my brother's work, its a miracle he can remember anything.
    Hey, Ralph! Thanks for setting the record straight. You're right -- the album credits stating "Engineer: Russ Terrana" appeared on so many Motown albums it's incredible. - Gary

If I remember this correctly, the answer is in the back of Randy Taraborelli's last Ross bio with the Discography that Andy and George helped out on. The notes seem to indicate the song Marvin & Diana recorded together was Don't Knock My Love because she exclaims on the tape to him that "This is the song I hate!"
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 09-13-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Just checked Taraborellis book and actually Diana does exclaim on the tape that she hated Dont Knock My Love. However, the overall reference is to the fact that she said it on the reel on which they found an alternate vocal and mix of the tune in the vault. It was released on The Marvin Gaye Collection box set. I guess the mystery continues.....
    Last edited by Glenpwood; 09-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.