[REMOVE ADS]

When you're the only white person in the room

Man! I hope this thread is OK, but I just found it. It is quite interesting. No harm intended. So, Ralph, don't ban me, please?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/us/whi...html?hpt=hp_c2

Great post Soulster.

Wasn't this what this song was all about?

Roger

If God has shoulders, I bet he shrugs them when it comes to race. Consider that there are so many different blood types that we all share. If we were truly different, would a Black man's blood be compatible with an Asian, Native American, or Caucasian? We're more alike than different, but choose to find reasons to hate each other.

It's interesting to note that, until the African slave trade, the world didn't think in terms of skin color. It was all about tribes, be they in the European or Asian regions, or in Africa. Segregation of skin color is only a fairly recent concept of the last hundred years.

When I graduated from college [[Undergraduate), I was the ONLY African American male graduating out of 1400 graduates that day..............

There were several times in my my life where I was a minority of one or two out of many.

Soulster, this was a fantastic article.

My first girlfriend in my eighth grade year was black [[I am white). I had never given serious thought to our racial differences until her mother pressured her to break off the relationship. At first, I was quite offended, but after a few years, I began to understand the origins of these feelings, on both sides of the picture.

Probably the greatest turning point in my life was when I joined a gospel choir my freshman year of college. It was a predominately 'black' choir, and rehearsals were held in a rougher end of town. I remember everyone in the choir being so friendly, welcoming, and, all around, a very open community. We performed at a MLK celebration at the Strathmore one year, and of the whole experience, there was so much love and brotherhood amongst everyone, white or black. Everyone was comfortable with themselves and didn't put on any false pretenses. They were all there for the same reason, which made it easier for people to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It's interesting to note that, until the African slave trade, the world didn't think in terms of skin color. It was all about tribes, be they in the European or Asian regions, or in Africa. Segregation of skin color is only a fairly recent concept of the last hundred years.
    I think you "mis-spoke" with this comment, soulster. Reducing about
    500 years to a century?...And anyway, how would you know what Chinese
    thought of British people, what Spaniards thought of Moors or what
    Congolese thought of the first French men they encountered?
    Aside from that I think this a great thread you started...
    I, at the present time know someone who is sometimes at work, the only
    white person in the room and I worry about her for a number of reasons
    I won't get into right now but because I don't really know her well I can
    only watch situations develop. I myself have often been in various
    settings and organisations, the only black person in the room or the only
    "African-American" which in some cases is not exactly the same and strangely enough sometimes it has been uncomfortable and others times
    it suited me fine...Race is a funny thing...most don't want the distinction
    but almost nobody will let it go..

Here's a somewhat related article I found:

http://www.sociologyinfocus.com/2012...im-colorblind/

I guess recent events have once again sparked my interest in this issue.

That was a very interesting read, soulster, thanks for posting the link. One thing many people tend to overlook is that there are several bi-products, I'll call them, of initial racist
    encounters, one of them being the intra-racial predjudices many people of color have against those of their own, often over silly things like skin color or place of birth. Shit nobody can choose. Well, unless you count the craziness of some Congolese actually bleaching their skin to look lighter/whiter[[?)...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    That was a very interesting read, soulster, thanks for posting the link. One thing many people tend to overlook is that there are several bi-products, I'll call them, of initial racist
    encounters, one of them being the intra-racial predjudices many people of color have against those of their own, often over silly things like skin color or place of birth. Shit nobody can choose. Well, unless you count the craziness of some Congolese actually bleaching their skin to look lighter/whiter[[?)...
    I've been a victim of it almost all my life! If you don't conform to certain cultural "norms", you don't belong. You see this behavior in high school and in college. You want to sit with the Black kids for a change, and they give you the stink eye and say "What are you doing here?". You go to the White tables and they make racial slurs or ignore you. If you don't share the same background, you aren't one of them. You are seen as the "other" race. If you grew up with Whites, and have mostly or all White friends, you may as well be White as far as they are concerned. Problem is, those same Whites may not always fully accept you as their own. And, when it comes right down to it, neither group will help you. That's how evil racism is. You're rejected by nothing but skin color, and who you associate with. You even see this in the workplace and at adult social activities. Other countries who also operate under a caste system experience the same biases. Religions do it too.

Interesting. The only thing I can add is that back in the day I was the only white living in the inner city, going to all the shows on the Chiltin Circit, etcetra........ I never thought about it I just followed my heart. Some people accepted you some did not, so be it. That the way it will always be but I must say it's better today as much of the world in both cultures has evolved. That being said there will always be ignorant haters out there.
    When living in a black world was new it was an education that broadened my mind. People who don't get to experience other cultures limits their education and outlook on life.
    To quote Jimmy: "Life is beautiful if you let it"..........

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    ...but I must say it's better today..
    Naaah! Nothing's changed.

Dennis Miller once wrote something to the effect 'that is is stupid to dislike someone due to their race, ethnicity, religion, etc. Just look around you and you'll see more a..h.... than a Turkish customs inspect sees.