[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Raynard Miner

Raynard Miner

I've been listening to a lot of the unreleased/album filler material lately and the Raynard Miner compositions/productions always grab my ear. I know he came to Motown in 1968, but how long was with the label before leaving? It seems he was only around for a year or so. Did it have anything to do with the fact Motown basically canned most of his songs or threw them on albums as fillers? I know the Four Tops' "The Key" got a B-side, but it seems as though Motown never put faith in his songs. It's a shame because some of my favorite Motown songs were written by him. Take a listen to Martha & the Vandellas "I Love The Man," the Four Tops' "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and "Clip My Wings." They're incredible.

Yes; Raynard Miner was a fine songwriter & producer and he did have some great songs that ended up in the Motown Vaults. Martha Reeves & the Vandellas "We Will" & The Four Tops "Which Way Is The Sky" [[both unreleased) are other great examples of his style. I don't know how long he was with Motown before leaving there.

To bradsupremes: That's for sure. I've always especially loved Martha's "I Love The Man" and the Four Tops' "The Key"! - Gary

Raynard Miner wrote one of my favourite unreleased Supremes' tracks "In the Evening of Our Love".

I like his production of the Four Tops "The Key". It was a little loud but still definitely had that Motown Sound to it.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of the unreleased/album filler material lately and the Raynard Miner compositions/productions always grab my ear. I know he came to Motown in 1968, but how long was with the label before leaving? It seems he was only around for a year or so. Did it have anything to do with the fact Motown basically canned most of his songs or threw them on albums as fillers? I know the Four Tops' "The Key" got a B-side, but it seems as though Motown never put faith in his songs. It's a shame because some of my favorite Motown songs were written by him. Take a listen to Martha & the Vandellas "I Love The Man," the Four Tops' "You Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and "Clip My Wings." They're incredible.
    Brad add to that incredible list THE TRUTH'S OUTSIDE MY DOOR-MARVELETTES.one of my top 20 Motown songs, great stuff. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thanks for posting this interesting video, boyfromxtown. I'm surprised that the feature didn't mention Raynard's brief-yet-meaningful stint with Motown. The fact that he was friends with Stevie would have opened the door perfectly for at least an honorable mention. Still enjoyed it, though! Thanks again. - Gary