[REMOVE ADS]

"GLORIA"! Who Sang it Best?

The song "Gloria" is probably one of the greatest of the Doo-Wop laments about the goil.........hehehehehehe.....! It's been covered many times by many singers. Big question. Who do you think sang it best. Here's one of my choices, The Cadillacs and their version:

There are too many to list

edafan

Here's a good version by Vito & the Salutations from '62:

Speedo & The Cadillacs verson is the definitive one in my opinion, especially when they did it live.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mary G Jive Five View Post
    Speedo & The Cadillacs verson is the definitive one in my opinion, especially when they did it live.

~~Mary~~
    I've been trying to remain impartial [[until we received more responses....) but I have to vote along with you Mary.

The Cadillacs!

Here are Speedo & the guys doing it live:

~~Mary~~

Here's a great photo of three good friends who toured the UK together:

Name:  a Harvey, Gene, Speedo.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  30.5 KB

Left to right - Harvey Fuqua, Eugene Pitt & Earl "Speedo" Carrol. Each of them sang lead on their own hits and the others sang background for them. They played "Rhythm Riot" and other venues.

~~Mary~~

What a great picture! Thank you Mary.

Cadillacs, of course!

S.S.

Then there's that different "Gloria" by Enchantment that is fabulous!!!

S.S.

You're welcome, Marv.

~~Mary~~

Ok, ok here's another "contenda"! LOL! The Manhattan Transfer's version with Alan Paul on the lead........."Gloria"!

Here we have several groups [[including Vito & the Salutations, the Cadillacs, Earl Lewis & the Channels and others....) taking turns singing their versions of the Doo Wop Anthem...."Gloria"

Last edited by marv2; 09-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Now in between the Cadillacs version in 1954 and Vito & the Saluations version in 1962, the Passions delivered their version in 1960:

I'll take Manhattan Transfer's version as number 2.

~~Mary~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mary G Jive Five View Post
    I'll take Manhattan Transfer's version as number 2.

~~Mary~~
    He really put it out there huh? Marvin Gaye style! LOL!!!

Ok these guys were coming in a little late by 1964, but still worth a listen......the Love Notes and "Gloria"

Nicky Addeo & the Darchaes - "Gloria" from 1963 . These guys stuck pretty much to the popular 50's version:

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  21.1 KB
    The Cadillacs is the best. But, I also like The Mills Brothers '40s version.

smark21 Guest
    Laura Branigan

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1122
    The Cadillacs is the best. But, I also like The Mills Brothers '40s version.
    Yes the Mills Brothers did a great version too. I think theirs may have been the first one.

Cadillacs original and has to be given most of the consideration, Nicky Addeo & Darchaes from right near me in Asbury Park NJ [[and still singing and going strong) as to be best by a Caucasian group and surprised noone mentioned Earl Lewis and the Channels with a great job too.

The first song I thought about was the completely different one from the Van Morrison band Them.

Quote Originally Posted by imnokid View Post
    That is a good performance Kevin, I mean he is really tearing it up, that's a different "Gloria" song from the Doo Wop one.

The Cadillacs version--with the great Earl Carroll effortlessly slipping in and out of falsetto--seems to be the definitive version attempted by numerous other groups since 1954. Some of them are decent efforts, like this one by The Ubans,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfpml51C1hg

Originally credited to songwriter Leon Rene, The Cadillacs version and a host of subsequent covers, is credited to their manager Esther Navarro. Although it's said she did not contribute to the song.

Several songs from this CD deviate from the Mills Brothers/Cadillacs version quite a bit--but all retain their heartfelt devotion to the woman named "Gloria"
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  103.6 KB

Views: 969
    Many of those songs titled "Gloria" listed above are completely different songs. But the song by The Cadillacs is the same song, note for note and word for word as the Leon Rene original, and was sung by The Mills Brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    The Cadillacs version--with the great Earl Carroll effortlessly slipping in and out of falsetto--seems to be the definitive version attempted by numerous other groups since 1954. Some of them are decent efforts, like this one by The Ubans,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfpml51C1hg

Originally credited to songwriter Leon Rene, The Cadillacs version and a host of subsequent covers, is credited to their manager Esther Navarro. Although it's said she did not contribute to the song.

Several songs from this CD deviate from the Mills Brothers/Cadillacs version quite a bit--but all retain their heartfelt devotion to the woman named "Gloria"
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  103.6 KB
    AH! HA! How did you find this? I knew there were a lot of versions of "Gloria" but not by some of the artists represented on this CD. Amazing! Thank you!

Haha, Marv...This CD is likely a bootleg compiled by fanatics of the song & genre. Definitely not something that would be marketed to the general consumer, lol!
    I think I picked it up when I visited NYC a few years ago. It's still around, I just saw there are 3 copies for sale on Amazon.

Yes robb, some of the songs are different, as I said above.
    The Cadillacs version [[lead) is not an easy song to pull off for the average singer, though likely inspired many to try over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    Haha, Marv...This CD is likely a bootleg compiled by fanatics of the song & genre. Definitely not something that would be marketed to the general consumer, lol!
    I think I picked it up when I visited NYC a few years ago. It's still around, I just saw there are 3 copies for sale on Amazon.

Yes robb, some of the songs are different, as I said above.
    The Cadillacs version [[lead) is not an easy song to pull off for the average singer, though likely inspired many to try over the years.
    Sunshineonacloudyday, I am going to check it out to hear some of the other versions. Thank you!