[REMOVE ADS]

FAITH, HOPE & CHARITY In Action

For the benefit of the Motown fans who have never had the pleasure of seeing Van McCoy’s back-up vocal group – Faith, Hope & Charity – in action, here they are, from left to right: Brenda Hilliard, Albert Bailey, and Diane Destry [[deceased). In addition to their own Van McCoy-produced albums [[of which there were 5), they sang back-up vocals on nearly all of Van’s 1970's productions, including David Ruffin’s three Motown albums [["Who I Am", "Everything’s Coming Up Love", and "In My Stride"), as well as back-up vocals on Thelma Houston’s Van McCoy-produced "Don’t Pity Me" and "Find A Way" tracks, available on the Thelma Houston & Jerry Butler Motown/SoulMusic 2-fer CD, "Thelma & Jerry" and "Two To One".

This performance is for their current RCA single at the time, "Don’t Go Looking For Love", from their 1975 self-titled album, "Faith, Hope & Charity", which was recently released on CD by Real Gone Music this summer. [[The video is from a SoulTrain performance which was submitted on YouTube by a DJ Cole100. I hope this is legal since I gave credit to the source.) Here’s the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFDGZJWZ-Fo

ENJOY! - Gary

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-08-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Great video Gary. They had wonderful harmonies. I bought their "To Each His Own" 45 and danced to it more times than I can remember.

To theboyfromxtown: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. You should get the recently-released album version on CD. It contains the long LP version of "To Each His Own", an edited version, AND the 45 version which you danced the night away to! - Gary

I bought the album for that long version but although it was longer, it didn't hold the same magic as the 45. I seem to remember hoping for a version on a 12" but it didn't happen.

I could have done with a 10 minute version to be honest.

Wow....I didn't know Brenda Hilliard was deceased. I knew Diane Destry and Zulema were. Wonder whatever happened to Albert Bailey? Brenda was in a girl group after Faith, Hope and Charity called Jamaica Girls. When did she pass? I posted a thread on Jamaica Girls and had some info on Diane and Zulema. Thanks for the info. Really look forward to their forthcoming CD. Have played 'To Each HIs Own' all summer....love that CD!
    Destry, Diane
    Vocalist who joined Albert Bailey and Brenda Hilliard in 1974 to reform Faith, Hope & Charity, a Van McCoy-produced trio who released a self-titled album the following year. It peaked at #100 on the Billboard album chart and yielded the #1 R&B hit, “To Each His Own”. They followed it up with “Life Goes On”, which reached #13 on the Disco chart and #65 on the R&B chart in 1976.

Other albums on which she appeared include La Diva by Aretha Franklin, The Very Best of Stacy Lattisaw, The Disco Kid, My Favourite Fantasy, The Real McCoy and Rhythms of the World by Van McCoy, Peaches & Herb, Everything’s Coming up Love and The Great David Ruffin: The Motown Solo Albums by David Ruffin, and Z-Licious by Zulema.

As a songwriter, she co-wrote “Tryin’ to Make the Best of It” with Al Blake and Van McCoy.

Diane’s last album with Van McCoy was 1979’s Lonely Dancer. She passed away shortly thereafter of complications from AIDS and drug abuse.
    Last edited by blueskies; 09-06-2014 at 07:19 PM.

To blueskies: I thought I had read about Brenda's passing, but damned if I can find it. I wasn't aware that Zulema and Diane Destry had died. Man, such a loss -- such a shame. With Van long-gone, nobody's left! I have no idea what Albert Bailey is doing these days. And, yes -- that CD is one that you can play over and over and still want more. I'm counting the days until "Life Goes On" gets released on September 30. I truly love that album, too! - Gary

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spt...?pid=167481140
    Gary,
    Here's Zulema's obit. I had read awhile back that Albert Bailey was back in Tampa and was a hairstylist. I tried Googling him and Brenda, but couldn't find anything other than Brenda had been in a girl group in the 80's called 'Jamaica Girls'. They released a few singles and then dropped off the radar. Sad two.....and maybe 3 of the singers are gone now. I saw Faith, Hope and Charity open for The Supremes right when Jean came into the group. What a show that was! Faith, Hope and Charity were fantastic live! This was when Zulema was lead singer. They about brought down the house with "So Much Love"!! Ahhhh...the memories!

To blueskies: Thanks for sharing the obit. It says that Zulema died at age 66 following a short illness. That's scary, since a lot of us Motown fans are crowding, or have surpassed, that age. I would have never recognized her from that photo. It's strange, too. No matter how old our musical heroes and heroines have become, I still think of them as they looked on all of those great Motown [[and non-Motown) album covers. When I see them today and they look like somebody's little old grandparents, it's a visual -- and emotional -- shock.

You saw Faith, Hope & Charity AND the new Supremes [[Jean, Mary & Cindy) on the same bill, all in one night? Man, how lucky can a guy [[or girl) get? Great memories, for sure! - Gary

Gary,
    Yes, that was the show of shows! I was/am a huge fan of both groups and I felt like I caught the golden ring! I wish I could remember more details of the show.....but, that was a LONG time ago. I was a Freshman in college!
    I agree about seeing our favorite entertainers.....I, too, remember them from album covers. It's like attending high school or college reunions now days.....I'm thinking....who in the hell dumped these nursing home patients off here? Talk about a reality check!

My uncle loved Zulema when she put out a solo album. I love Faith Hope and Charity though.

To blueskies: I know, it's really sad, but the eloquent way you said "who the hell dumped these here"... is SO FUNNY! I can't stop laughing! HaHaHaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! - Gary

To blueskies: Speaking of Zulema, have you ever heard her duet ballad with Van titled "I'm Not Dreaming", or her Van-produced solo dance track "Praying For A Miracle"? If you haven't, you don't know what you're missing. They're gorgeous! - Gary

Thanks for the heads up on Zulema, Gary. I'll have to check those recordings out. If you ever find anything out about Brenda Hilliard, please share with us. Love her voice! Maybe in the forthcoming CD release, they'll be more of an update on the surviving members. In the previous release, it was from a 1974 interview.

To blueskies: "I'm Not Dreaming" and "Praying For A Miracle" are from Zulema's
    "Z-licious" LP on the Le Joint label. - Gary