[REMOVE ADS]

Cool New FAITH, HOPE & CHARITY CD To Hit The Streets!

Faith, Hope & Charity, who sang back-up on nearly all of Van McCoy’s productions, will finally see the CD release of their second RCA LP, "Life Goes On", on September 30, courtesy of Real Gone Music. [[Their first self-titled RCA LP was released by Real Gone Music this past June or July.) "Life Goes On" is a powerful album which boasts two of its best singles, "Life Goes On" and "You’re My Peace Of Mind", the latter of which was covered by David Ruffin as well. The CD will include the album versions as well as the extended 12" versions of the above two titles and two other titles.

The reason I’ve announced this good news on the Motown Forum site is because Faith, Hope & Charity sang back-up on all three of David Ruffin’s Van McCoy-produced Motown albums, as well as the two Motown tracks that Van produced on Thelma Houston [["Don’t Pity Me" and "Find A Way"), both of which are available on the Thelma Houston & Jerry Butler CD, "Two To One".

To me, the marriage of Van McCoy and Motown was a match made in Heaven. Faith, Hope & Charity were a big part of the reason why.

Motown Gary....thanks so much for the heads up! I am a huge fan of both Van and Faith Hope and Charity!

Midnight Johnny, glad to be of help! I was thrilled when I learned of both Faith, Hope & Charity CDs via The Second Disc. I already got the first of the two CD's the day it was released, and I've now got "Life Goes On" pre-ordered. Also, Faith, Hope & Charity's very first LP on Maxwell is available through Amazon as a download [[which surely beats the vinyl version).

And more good news -- last night, while cruisin' Amazon, I discovered that Stacy Lattisaw's very first Cotillion album, "Young And In Love", also produced by Van McCoy and full of gorgeous back-up vocals by Faith, Hope & Charity, is available as an Amazon download. [[Since Stacy Lattisaw was a latter-day 1980's Motown artist, I hope that Ralph can justify my mentioning it here.)

Since I joined the Motown Forum, it seems like everything musically-related is growing stronger than ever! I wish I had joined a lot sooner!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Midnight Johnny, glad to be of help! I was thrilled when I learned of both Faith, Hope & Charity CDs via The Second Disc. I already got the first of the two CD's the day it was released, and I've now got "Life Goes On" pre-ordered. Also, Faith, Hope & Charity's very first LP on Maxwell is available through Amazon as a download [[which surely beats the vinyl version).

And more good news -- last night, while cruisin' Amazon, I discovered that Stacy Lattisaw's very first Cotillion album, "Young And In Love", also produced by Van McCoy and full of gorgeous back-up vocals by Faith, Hope & Charity, is available as an Amazon download. [[Since Stacy Lattisaw was a latter-day 1980's Motown artist, I hope that Ralph can justify my mentioning it here.)

Since I joined the Motown Forum, it seems like everything musically-related is growing stronger than ever! I wish I had joined a lot sooner!
    Philles Motown Gary wish you had joined sooner your threads are a breath of fresh air for me, welcome..

This is wonderful news! I have been waiting for YEARS for those RCA albums to be released on CD. My vinyl copy of the first [[the eponymous one) was stolen at a party back in the late '70s and I was unable to find a replacement. I still have the vinyl version of the Life Goes On album and also the perfect extended 12-inch single of "Life Goes On" b/w "You're My Peace of Mind." While so many extended mixes of disco-era songs were tedious and repetitive, McCoy made sure this didn't happen with those two songs. Both extended mixes exceeded ten minutes — long even for that time.

What great news, thank you for posting. I first heard "To Each His Own" on holiday in Spain in the 70's and have been waiting since then to get a copy. With the other tracks mentioned, I can't wait to get this CD. What is the name of the first CD and is it still available?

Their debut RCA album was eponymously titled, FAITH, HOPE & CHARITY, and I believe it was the first to feature Diane Destry who had replaced Zulema Cusseaux who had gone solo. My recollection is that Brenda Hilliard handles leads on everything.

Here are track lists on both reissues:

FAITH, HOPE & CHARITY:
    1. Let s Go to the Disco
    2. Just One Look
    3. Find a Way
    4. Don't Go Looking for Love
    5. Mellow Me
    6. Disco Dan
    7. Rescue Me
    8. Little Bit of Love
    9. To Each His Own
    10. To Each His Own [[Single Version)
    11. Find a Way [[Single Version)
    12. Don't Go Looking for Love [[Single Version)

LIFE GOES ON:
    1. Life Goes On [[Overture)/Life Goes On
    2. Gradually
    3. I Want a Man
    4. Positive Thinking
    5. You re My Peace of Mind
    6. Cherish/Monday, Monday
    7. You've Gotta Tell Her
    8. Just Wanted to Say I Love You
    9. A Time for Celebration/Live Spiral
    10. Life Goes On [[12 single version)
    11. You re My Peace of Mind [[12 single version)
    12. Gradually [[12 single version)
    13. Positive Thinking [[12 single version)

midnight johnny: You're welcome. I'm a huge fan of Van and F,H&C, too. I've worked very hard over the years to obtain as many of Van's productions as possible. For his 1970's productions, F,T&C are singing back-up on nearly ALL of them! I think it's safe to assume that F,H&C were Van McCoy's Andantes!

BigAl: Stolen? Oh, no! You're right, though. Van's productions never wandered aimlessly. Van McCoy didn't have a boring bone in his body. Like Phil Spector and Motown, his productions were both "hip & street" AND sweet as an be. Overall, powerful and exciting! My kind of music!

honest man: Why, thank you very much! I'm having a good time. I could talk music and Motown all day if you let me. I tend to get motor-mouthy and rattle on and on at times. If I do, just let me know! - Gary

BigAl: Yeah, to my knowledge, the late, great Brenda Hilliard handled all lead-vocal chores on their own albums. On their final [[and sole) 20th Century LP [[again, creatively titled "Faith, Hope & Charity"!), Albert Bailey sings a solo on a beautiful ballad titled "Find What You Need".

How cool it would be if Harry, Andy, and George were to find some previously-unreleased Van McCoy productions in the Motown vaults, left over from the David Ruffin and Thelma Houston sessions!

masterblaster: Yeah, "To Each His Own" had a lot of meaning for a lot of us for various reasons. The first of Faith, Hope & Charity's two RCA LP's was simply self-titled, "Faith, Hope & Charity". Thanks to Real Gone Music, it just got released on CD in June or July, so it's readily available on Amazon [[at least for now, but I wouldn't wait). It sounds great and I guarantee you'll love it! [[My personal two favorites on that LP/CD have always been "Don't Go Looking For Love" and their remake of "Just One Look"! Mmmmm! Great stuff!) As mentioned earlier, their second RCA LP is coming out on Real Gone Music CD on September 30. I, for one, can hardly wait!

BigAl: Stolen? Oh, no! You're right, though. Van's productions never wandered aimlessly. Van McCoy didn't have a boring bone in his body. Like Phil Spector and Motown, his productions were both "hip & street" AND sweet as an be. Overall, powerful and exciting! My kind of music!
    Lifting other people's records from parties was a common practice. It doesn't happen with today's audio technology. Back then the only way to copy a record was to tape it and most people didn't until a few years later. I'd load up an album case which held, maybe, twenty albums or so, take it to the party and leave it with the host or whoever was in charge of the stereo. When time came to leave I'd collect the records and often some would be missing, or trashed. I always labeled jackets, inner sleeves and discs with name, address, phone, in case of misplacement but that's no insurance against a thief.

McCoy's extended mixes were so good. Back then, extended mixes basically comprised the single version with vocals, followed by the same damn thing with the vocals taken out, then the single version with vocals again. Borr-rring. McCoy treated those instrumental bridges as integral parts of the song. To borrow Spector's term for his own music, McCoy's extended mixes were little symphonies.

I'd like to just throw in a shout out for the Van McCoy produced This Is It album by Melba Moore. Aside from a kick-ass title tune, he also wrote her Lean On Me which showed Ms. Moore off as few songs ever do. The entire album is fantastic [[and also just recently re-released). And this isn't Motown related but I hope no one cares!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I'd like to just throw in a shout out for the Van McCoy produced This Is It album by Melba Moore. Aside from a kick-ass title tune, he also wrote her Lean On Me which showed Ms. Moore off as few songs ever do. The entire album is fantastic [[and also just recently re-released). And this isn't Motown related but I hope no one cares!
    This is it,
    This time I know it's the real thing...

What a song, what a song!

McCoy was a genius.

Remember "Soul Cha Cha?" [["Dahlin', dahlin'...")
    "Dance, dance, dance, Disco Baby?"

And [[dare I mention it?) "Love Ain't Love?" a few years earlier?

Any man who can write "Baby I'm Yours," and "When You're Young and In Love" [[possibly two of the most romantic top 40 songs ever) and then turn around and rock the house...well..'nuff said.
    Last edited by BigAl; 09-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.

To thommg: Yeah!!! Kick-ass is right -- from start to finish! I especially love "Stay Awhile With Me" and "Blood Red Roses". Faith, Hope & Charity shine on that entire album!

If you really want an aural treat, go onto YouTube and check out Tom Moulton's extended remix of Melba's "This Is It". Van McCoy would be right proud!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-06-2014 at 12:30 AM.

To BigAl: YES to all of the above! And Flo did a great job on "Love Ain't Love", didn't she! I swear that is Van's own voice we hear harmonizing with himself on the back-up vocals, which are beautiful.

And, one more thing -- I think it's high time that MCA reissue both of Van's solo albums -- "My Favorite Fantasy" and "Lonely Dancer" -- on CD or, at least, as downloads, don't you? - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Since you brought it up , thommg, as a Van McCoy fan, Lean on Me is a truly outstanding cut, unfortunately it got lost in the Disco Shuffle.

Van was a great producer. Love aint Love sounds like pre- disco and I must say I didnt know who he was until the Hustle and learned about his other productions later.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    This is wonderful news! I have been waiting for YEARS for those RCA albums to be released on CD. My vinyl copy of the first [[the eponymous one) was stolen at a party back in the late '70s and I was unable to find a replacement. I still have the vinyl version of the Life Goes On album and also the perfect extended 12-inch single of "Life Goes On" b/w "You're My Peace of Mind." While so many extended mixes of disco-era songs were tedious and repetitive, McCoy made sure this didn't happen with those two songs. Both extended mixes exceeded ten minutes — long even for that time.
    BigAl and midnight johnny -- Did you guys pre-order your copy of Faith, Hope & Charity's "Life Goes On" CD? My copy arrived today [[along with Ullanda McCullough's new 2-fer CD, the first of which was produced by Ashford & Simpson). Can't wait to play 'em! - Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-30-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Just ordered my copy of Faith, Hope and Charity, yesterday. Can't wait!

I also ordered a copy yesterday and I'm looking forward to listening to the re-mastered version. Van and F,H&C were magic together. This is one of my favorites LPs by the group; we've waited like forever to finally see two of their LPs on CD!

BigAl and midnight johnny -- Did you guys pre-order your copy of Faith, Hope & Charity's "Life Goes On" CD? My copy arrived today [[along with Ullanda McCullough's new 2-fer CD, the first of which was produced by Ashford & Simpson). Can't wait to play 'em! - Gary
    Gary....haven't ordered either yet. I appreciate your keeping us aware of these landmark collections! Thanks! John

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Gary....haven't ordered either yet. I appreciate your keeping us aware of these landmark collections! Thanks! John
    You're welcome, John. It's my pleasure! - Gary

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    I also ordered a copy yesterday and I'm looking forward to listening to the re-mastered version. Van and F,H&C were magic together. This is one of my favorites LPs by the group; we've waited like forever to finally see two of their LPs on CD!
    To BigAl, BlueSkies, NoPlaceLikeMotown, MidnightJohnny, Stephanie, Motown4evr518, and whomever else this may concern: Forever is RIGHT! Now that F,H&C's first album [[Maxwell) is available as a download, and their two RCA albums are finally available on CD, we're 3/5's of the way there. If we can just get their "Heavy Love" album [[Sussex) and their final album [[20th Century) released on CD or, at least, a download, we'll have it made as far as F,H&C's album output is concerned.

BTW, are you guys/gals familiar with Van McCoy's group Anacostia? Two of their Van-produced albums are available on CDs as Canadian imports [[UniDisc). Both CDs are super from start to finish. [[I don't know why they're both 'creatively' titled "Anacostia". They are NOT the same recordings, but they're both Van McCoy at his finest.) And, on some tracks, F,H&C are right there in the mix, as always! Hope you all enjoy:

http://www.amazon.com/Anacostia-ANAC...ords=anacostia

http://www.amazon.com/Anacostia-ANAC...ords=anacostia

Sample listens from YouTube, courtesy of UniDisc Music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMqoB-1bT20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgrQchIn72A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPgBYTlRF9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cala2ESn7_M

Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-01-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Yes....one of my favorite groups of all time. They were first "The State Department" in the late 60's, then "The Presidents" with "5-10-15-20 Years Of Love" by Van, then became "Anacostia" in '72 with "On And Off" by Van. Here is a medley I posted on youtube of those 2 amazing songs...... http://youtu.be/xPU1gy9vS34

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Yes....one of my favorite groups of all time. They were first "The State Department" in the late 60's, then "The Presidents" with "5-10-15-20 Years Of Love" by Van, then became "Anacostia" in '72 with "On And Off" by Van. Here is a medley I posted on youtube of those 2 amazing songs......
    Hey John – thanks! The President’s "5-10-15....." album came out on CD a few years ago. [[Marvin Gaye did a version of "5-10-15...." as well for Motown.)

It’s a shame that Anacostia’s early Van McCoy material never made it onto an album. "On And Off" is a beautiful ballad which deserved to be a huge hit.

Let’s not forget Anacostia’s version of Marvin Gaye’s "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby". Van’s production on this is hot! This YouTube video is courtesy of scorpionsoulful’s channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ3BKw1R4Mk

And lest we forget Van’s early production of the State Department’s version of "Wild Honey, which Van produced later on David Ruffin for Motown. This YouTube video is courtesy of Danny Linden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QaRUWfvGZI

And, just for the heck of it: State Department’s Van-produced "Be Yourself". This YouTube video is courtesy of Ellezeta DiscoDynamite. How these hip recordings got lost in the shuffle and failed to make it to the top of the charts is mind-boggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozXhRgZGasc

And, last but not least, Van’s production of State Department’s "I’m Counting On You", which he later produced on Peaches & Herb’s only MCA album. This YouTube video is courtesy of Ellezeta DiscoDynamite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRKdRPzM_k
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-02-2014 at 12:35 AM.

How about Van's productions on Gladys Knight Still Together album from 1977!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    How about Van's productions on Gladys Knight Still Together album from 1977!
    Oh, God, yes, Jack! "Home Is Where The Heart Is" is one of my all-time favorite Van McCoy productions. Gladys and company do a great job on this, too. Here's a link for the benefit of whomever, courtesy of YouTube and originally uploaded by merlotje:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-E6z0kUW9E

Just finished listening to my copy! Wow....love it...esp. "Life Goes On". Brenda's vocals just takes off and soars as only Brenda could! I wish there would have been some new info on current surviving members. Pretty much zip in that category. It was nice hearing Diane and Albert getting a solo.
    Last edited by blueskies; 10-02-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Just finished listening to my copy! Wow....love it...esp. "Life Goes On". Brenda's vocals just takes off and soars as only Brenda could! I wish there would have been some new info on current surviving members. Pretty much zip in that category. It was nice hearing Diane and Albert getting a solo.
    Yeah, blueskies, it's totally hot and exciting! Those staccato strings really sing out on that sucker, as do the horns and hot percussion! And those luscious harmonies! Did you ever? "Wow" is right! I agree about the surviving members of F,H&C. The booklet only mentioned an interview with Albert Bailey back in 1975, and something that Albert had said "recently". There was no mention of Diane Destry's passing nor of Brenda Hilliard's current status. It's great to finally have "Life Goes On" back in its finest form possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed for more from the Van McCoy camp. More is sure to come!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.