[REMOVE ADS]

supremester Guest

"Secrets of Westbury Music Fair" Names Motown's Supreme Diva

ROSS NAMED TWICE
    [[Credit: NYCB Theater at Westbury)Motown diva Diana Ross sold out 18 performances during her inaugural two-week run at Westbury from Feb. 27 to March 11, 1984 – more than any other performer to date. Lines to pick up concert tickets wound through the theater’s parking lot and spilled out onto nearby Brush Hollow Road.

Secrets of the NYCB Theatre at Westbury

Updated August 30, 2014 10:18 AM
    By AMY ONORATO
    Advertisement
    Advertise here
    The Westbury Music Fair opened its doors in 1956, housed in a circus tent on the grounds of an abandoned industrial site off Brush Hollow Road.
    Ten years later, after finding success, the theater was rebuilt into a permanent, indoor structure that still stands today as the NYCB Theatre at Westbury.
    Marketing manager Dan Kellachan, who has worked at the theater for 35 years, has seen it all, and he shared with us some little-known tidbits that make up the theater’s rich history.
    Jack Benny helped get the theater unionized

[[Credit: NYCB Theater at Westbury)Comedian Jack Benny was the first person to perform at the newly renovated Westbury Music Fair in 1966 — but not without some protest. Theater employees rallied on top of the hill leading down to the theater on opening day, refusing to work unless they were unionized. Benny, bearing witness to the event, borrowed a scooter from one of the theater’s general managers and rode up the hill to support the workers, refusing to perform unless a union contract was established. Westbury Music Fair leaders relented and the show went on.

Currently, stagehands are members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees.
    Diana Ross reigns 'supreme' in ticket sales

[[Credit: NYCB Theater at Westbury)The Motown diva sold out 18 performances during her inaugural two-week run at Westbury from Feb. 27 to March 11, 1984 — more than any other performer to date. Lines to pick up concert tickets wound through the theater's parking lot and spilled out onto nearby Brush Hollow Road.
    Gutsy move gets Judy Garland to perform

[[Credit: NYCB Theater at Westbury)In 1967, after Judy Garland was fired from a role in the movie adaptation of Jacqueline Susan's novel "Valley of the Dolls," Westbury owner Lee Guber took advantage of the situation. He met Garland at the airport when she arrived in New York and convinced her right there to perform at Westbury. Garland put on a one-day cabaret performance of her greatest hits on June 18, 1967, wearing a sequined pantsuit she took from the "Valley of the Dolls" set.
    It's the backdrop for a Johnny Cash album cover

[[Credit: NYCB Theater at Westbury)The front cover of Johnny Cash's studio album "American III: Solitary Man" is a photo taken of the musician while he was backstage at the Westbury theater for one of his performances in the '90s. The album dropped on Oct. 17, 2000, three years before his death in 2003. Cash performed at the theater in 1977, 1981, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1997.
    The stage makes a full rotation in 12 to 14 minutes

[[Credit: Amy Onorato)Westbury is a "theater in the round," with a circular stage surrounded by an audience on all sides. Stagehands can turn the "front" of the stage [[wherever the performers are facing) using a system of steel cables mounted underneath the stage and orchestra pit. The stage can make a full rotation in about 12 to 14 minutes, and is constantly turning throughout performances. Moving any faster could be dangerous for performers, who risk falling offstage due to the movement.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    ADVERTISE HERE'Star Aisle,' the seats that sell out fastest

[[Credit: Amy Onorato)"Star Aisle," located to the right of the theater's main entrance, is the primary stage entrance for artists and a direct route to the main backstage area. The seats lining either side of the aisle are usually the first to sell out because of the audience's close proximity to artists as they make their grand entrance. "You can literally reach out and touch them if you wanted," Kellachan said.
    The 'Star Room' got a 'Mad Men'-inspired makeover

[[Credit: Amy Onorato)The theater also recently revamped its "Star Room," the dressing room for visiting artists. Kellachan said the theater wanted to "get back to its roots" by outfitting the room with "Mad Men" inspired decor, including retro print wallpaper and vintage furniture purchased from thrift shops and antique stores.
    The lobby features original stage lighting

[[Credit: Amy Onorato)The lighting in the theater's lobby is actually the original lighting used above the stage when the theater first opened.
    Performers' signatures blanket the backstage kitchen

[[Credit: Amy Onorato)In May 2002, R&B singer Luther Vandross autographed the backstage kitchen wall — starting off what would become a Westbury tradition for visiting artists. Diana Ross, a friend of Vandross, continued the trend by drawing a heart around their names, along with her autograph, when she visited the theater for a performance later that year, that July. The tradition has become such a hit among artists that signatures and drawings now cover the majority of the kitchen, even on cabinets and drawers.

Related Media
    Last edited by supremester; 08-31-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Thank you for sharing this information. I now know more about the Westbury Music Fair than I ever thought I would. I virtually knew nothing about the place as I have not been fortunate enough to attend any performances there.

Thanks for posting this for all to see. I read this yesterday and enjoyed reading some of the history of Westbury Music Fair. [[It has had a lot of name changes, but to me , it will always be Westbury Music Fair.

I've seen so many acts at WMF. The Supremes, Diana Ross, Blue Magic, Jackson 5 , Gladys Knight & the Pips, McGuire Sisters, Lily Tomlin, Mary Wilson [[even got to go backstage when she was there) and most of the soul acts of the seventies.

I noticed the date that Diana Ross signed the kitchen wall. It was the last time that she appeared at the WMF. I was there and it was not her best performance. A few days later, she was in a rehab. Thankfully, it worked because I have seen her at least eight times since then and her voice and connection with the audience gets better each time.

I love WMF. Even if you are in the last row, the view is good. Just hate the hassle of getting there

I was at that concert and thought it was great. She even sang "I'm still waiting". A friend of mine went with me and commented that they had never seen an audience so excited. I seem to remember that she had just come out of her stay at Promises. Perhaps this is why the audience was so excited and encouraging. Here is the link to the picture of her signing the wall. She looks great.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-ph...ury-music-fair
    Last edited by skooldem1; 08-31-2014 at 11:39 AM.

I don't remember what I think was wrong with the performance, but I do remember after the performance while walking to the car, I said there was something different about her tonight. She was a little off. Maybe it was just me.

I was surprised when she sang I'm Still Waiting. It would be nice if - in her act - she replaced songs like SURVIVE and REACH OUT AND TOUCH with seldom sung songs like I'm Still Waiting and Best Years Of My Life and When You Tell Me That You Love Me. And why does she never sing SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER ?

Lulu Guest
    The last time I saw her there she sang "You Are Not Alone" and it was during the Voice of Love tour. She was trim as a daisy!

I've heard the "Someday We'll Be Together" has been nixed over the years because of the reunion connotation but I could be wrong.

supremester Guest
    Wow - I love that pic! I had a first hand account from the evening that said she was great - but seemed different......perhaps "sad behind the smile" and did not come into the audience.
    All I know is that I've lost lifelong, wonderful friends to substances, have a friend that endures incredible and untreatable depression that doesn't have to deal with issues in the public forum. Miss Ross tackled her triple whammy in her usual style - I'm proud of her and happy for her and all in recovery. I have a bud who is active with Oxford House - and they would happily accept any donations - it's an amazing, worthwhile organization.

Someday? I don't know why, but I'm sure if she knew how much all her fans want it, she'd add it.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I don't remember what I think was wrong with the performance, but I do remember after the performance while walking to the car, I said there was something different about her tonight. She was a little off. Maybe it was just me.

I was surprised when she sang I'm Still Waiting. It would be nice if - in her act - she replaced songs like SURVIVE and REACH OUT AND TOUCH with seldom sung songs like I'm Still Waiting and Best Years Of My Life and When You Tell Me That You Love Me. And why does she never sing SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER ?
    I saw her Boston concert around the same time, and my feelings are similar to yours. It wasn't a bad performance by any means. She actually sounded great. I think she did I'M STILL WAITING and REACH OUT I'll BE THERE here as well. But there was something a bit off. I remember thinking that she had gone back to work too soon.

But that seems so long ago now. I have seen her many times since then and haven't been disappointed yet.

Greetings
    This is really deep. Those that have not had the pleasure of attending a show there,
    You are really missing a treat. I was reading the comments. Bought back a lot of good memories. I remember the first time that we [[ THE TYMES } appeared there,
    As mentioned.it was a tent, I don't recall who was on the show with us,
    It was a chilly day, not expecting to return. through the years it has become home to us.
    Thanks to DICK FOX [[ promoter } It's funny, we preformed at his high school prom.
    As I mentioned it has become our home. We will be appearing there
    SAT. SEPT. 20, 2014 at 7 o'clock,
    Sharing the stage with ............
    THE HARPTONES, THE ETERNALS, JAY SEGAL'S TOKENS, PEGGY MARCH, THE ORIGINAL TYMES It is always a pleasure to be there, always a great crowd. A lot of fun, come out say hello and enjoy a great show. See you there
    Ceasar
    The
    Original
    Tymes

supremester Guest
    WOW Ceasar - your record was a killer that summer 63? 62? So Much In Love was the same summer as Surf City and Lazy Hazy Days that just made the summer great I remember hearing these faves all the time. Wish I was in NYC that weekend, would love to hear your act and visit the famed venue. Do you have other fall dates?

Hello supermester,
    We are still touring.
    Check out our web sight ....... theoriginaltymes.com
    It is still under construction, but you can tap on the arrow on the home page,
    Get a look at us today. Also we will be in RALIGH N.C. at THE R.J. REYNOLDS AUD.
    With CHARLIE THOMAS DRIFTERS,and THE IMPRESSIONS, SEPT 27 MARLTON ,N.J. OCT 10
    The Strand Theatre Dec. 6. I will check these dates to be sure. Thank you for the nice comments. The photo on the sight, from left to right, JIMMY WELLS, CEASAR [[original } NORMAN BURNETT [[ original ) RUSSELL GORE JR.

Correction;
    winston salem, n.c.