[REMOVE ADS]

Recording question.

Firstly, I know ZERO about the recording process. I've often read on The Supremes recordings that the lead vocals were recorded one day and then the background singers another day. Is this normal for recording 'groups'? Say....is this how the Pointer Sisters were recorded? Why is this? Why not record the 'group' at the same time? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Firstly, I know ZERO about the recording process. I've often read on The Supremes recordings that the lead vocals were recorded one day and then the background singers another day. Is this normal for recording 'groups'? Say....is this how the Pointer Sisters were recorded? Why is this? Why not record the 'group' at the same time? Thanks
    Because they don't have to.

Multitracking makes it possible to be more flexible with mixing a recording.

Scheduling is a reason backgrounds can be recorded separately. It can all be mixed together later.

And, one big reason is that if backgrounds [[or vocals) are done separately, they can be doubled, or tripled. The lead vocalist can also do backgrounds. In many cases, if there is one singer, that singer can do both lead and backgrounds, like Marvin Gaye did.

Thank you Soulster. Now, all that makes sense. I'm assuming this is generally 'the rule' when recording a group.

nah! There are no rules in recording. Anything goes. Some bands are recorded all at once, and that was the way it was done in the ols ols days. It really depends on a number of factors from the working style of a producer and/or band, time constraints, style of music, and feel. To reduce leakage, the engineer could use baffles, or partitions, or even put a vocalist [[or drummer) inside an isolated booth. But, again, there are no rules.

One benefit of recording vocals separately is if a singer and the band don't get along, as in the later days of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, or when Diana Ross didn't want to be around Marvin Gaye's pot smoke while she was pregnant while they recorded "My Mistake".

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    nah! There are no rules in recording. Anything goes. Some bands are recorded all at once, and that was the way it was done in the ols ols days. It really depends on a number of factors from the working style of a producer and/or band, time constraints, style of music, and feel. To reduce leakage, the engineer could use baffles, or partitions, or even put a vocalist [[or drummer) inside an isolated booth. But, again, there are no rules.

One benefit of recording vocals separately is if a singer and the band don't get along, as in the later days of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, or when Diana Ross didn't want to be around Marvin Gaye's pot smoke while she was pregnant while they recorded "My Mistake".
    gotcha.......