[REMOVE ADS]

Forhcoming interesting Supremes 7" record release

September 29th 2014 sees the release by Outta Sight Records, "Your Heart belongs to me" on a 7" vinyl record. Tucked away on the b-side is "On air interview with Brian Matthews", please see below Amazon .Co.Uk review

Product Description

The Supremes would go on to become Motown's most successful act but back in the summer of 1962 they had to settle for No.95 in the Billboard Hot 100 with their 4th release as The Supremes and the first to be penned by Smokey Robinson. It was also their first record to chart, putting an end to their unfortunate Hitsville pet name the no-hit Supremes. On the flip side we feature a short on-air radio interview from the original BBC radio series Top Gear, produced by Bernie Andrews and hosted by Brian Matthew. The Supremes introduce themselves and talk about the Apollo.

Quote Originally Posted by Calv1971 View Post
    Product Description [[found, by Calv1971)

The Supremes would go on to become Motown's most successful act but back in the summer of 1962 they had to settle for No.95 in the Billboard Hot 100 with their 4th release as The Supremes.
    Journalists please check your facts. Wasn't YHBTM the third single? No 95 was one of the reasons behind the "No Hits Supremes" moniker. The drought was just beginning to intensify at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Journalists please check your facts. Wasn't YHBTM the third single? No 95 was one of the reasons behind the "No Hits Supremes" moniker. The drought was just beginning to intensify at that point.
    Yes nabob, I thought that comment was totally wrong as well, I've heard interviews with both Miss Ross and Miss Wilson where they state that they were still being called the "No Hit SUPREMES" by other Motown artists right up until the success of "Where Did Our Love Go" in the summer of 1964.

It seems to me that expectations at Hitsville were so high that a "Hit" was considered to be Top 10 [[or possibly Top 20) Pop and that even "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" reaching #23 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1964 didn't really count.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Yes nabob, I thought that comment was totally wrong as well, I've heard interviews with both Miss Ross and Miss Wilson where they state that they were still being called the "No Hit SUPREMES" by other Motown artists right up until the success of "Where Did Our Love Go" in the summer of 1964...... Roger
    An interesting spin on the origin of 'No Hit SUPREMES' was found recently in Billboard Magazine : Exclusive: The Supremes' Mary Wilson Talks No. 1 Single 'Where Did Our Love Go' 50 Years Later Billboard: After “I Want a Guy,” Motown released several singles that also weren’t big hits. Were you ever discouraged or was there ever any discussion of calling it a day?Mary Wilson:We never thought of giving up. We thought we were fabulous. But people were laughing behind our backs. That’s why I made up the phrase “No-Hit Supremes.”