[REMOVE ADS]

THE DELLS - "There Is"

I've just found this extraordinary performance of "There Is" by THE DELLS that looks like it was recorded in the late '60s ....

I've no idea where it was filmed, but from the brief glimpse that we get of the presenter right at the end of the youtube video my guess would be Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries.

Roger

I've always thought that BILLY OCEAN's big 1977 U.K. hit "Red Light Spells Danger" owes a bit to "There Is" .... see what you think ....

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I've just found this extraordinary performance of "There Is" by THE DELLS that looks like it was recorded in the late '60s ....

I've no idea where it was filmed, but from the brief glimpse that we get of the presenter right at the end of the youtube video my guess would be Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries.

Roger
    Roger, my guess would be, possibly, France based on the title card at the beginning "Les Dells". Thanks for finding this. I loved this song when I was younger and played my 45 to death. Really. It was a scratchy mess!

One of my top 20 of all time

The only person who could have done it as good as Marvin would have been Levi, this was a Motown song from start to finish even had the great bongos that our guy Bongo Eddie was so good at.
    What a tremendous song.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Roger, my guess would be, possibly, France based on the title card at the beginning "Les Dells".
    You'e right thommg, in France les = the

A great find, Roger!

Incidentally, Lucius McGill [[tenor) passed away on July 18 this year. He was a member for a short while in the very first line-up of the El Rays -> later the Dells, in 1952 and '53. He was 78, and the cause was congestive heart failure. He left in the summer of 1954, after Darling I Know/Christine was released on Checker.

Marvin Junior: "There were six of us, and that was too many. Lucius really wasn't enthused about the entertainment part. He wasn't really into it, like we were."

Michael McGill: "He joined the Marine Corps. Now [[in 1997) he has worked for the post office for maybe thirty-eight years, and he's semi-retired."
    [[Soul Express: The Dells Story, part 1).

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    A great find, Roger!

Incidentally, Lucius McGill [[tenor) passed away on July 18 this year. He was a member for a short while in the very first line-up of the El Rays -> later the Dells, in 1952 and '53. He was 78, and the cause was congestive heart failure. He left in the summer of 1954, after Darling I Know/Christine was released on Checker.

Marvin Junior: "There were six of us, and that was too many. Lucius really wasn't enthused about the entertainment part. He wasn't really into it, like we were."

Michael McGill: "He joined the Marine Corps. Now [[in 1997) he has worked for the post office for maybe thirty-eight years, and he's semi-retired."
    [[Soul Express: The Dells Story, part 1).

Best regards
    Heikki
    Heikki, thank you as always for this information. Of course it was not carried in the "mainstream" media.

Marv