[REMOVE ADS]

Lulu Guest

Diana's RCA Albums: Audio Samples Up!

They sound good!

Sounds nice. I will buy some of them.

And the back cover images [[with track lists) are up there too. Guess that means the track lists are finalized.

Jaap

Nice looking job!

p.s. I was thinking that there was a Martha Reeves release scheduled by Funky Town, too. Am I mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Nice looking job!

p.s. I was thinking that there was a Martha Reeves release scheduled by Funky Town, too. Am I mixed up?
    Her FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE album was mentioned as an upcoming release, but I haven't seen a date.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    So, I didn't order Silk Electric because I always hated the sound of that LP. I think it was mixed badly. Or was it mastered badly? I have no idea. This release says it is being re-mastered. Will that help the bad sound of the original? This is the only album of hers that I have trouble with regarding sound quality.

Got an e-mail saying that my FunkyGrooves order was shipping. Did anyone else get an e-mail?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Got an e-mail saying that my FunkyGrooves order was shipping. Did anyone else get an e-mail?
    I got an email on 09/22/14 saying my order has been dispatched. Can't wait.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 09-25-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Yep got the e-mail to... I keep waiting anticipating ... ooh I'm waiting, still waiting...

I also got an email last weekend. So excited!

My CDs arrived today!

My CDs arrived today!
    Way cool!!! Details, please!!! Packaging? Liner notes? Sound quality?

They sound great, Lulu. Thanks! I pre-ordered mine through Amazon. Gotta wait a couple more weeks. :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Way cool!!! Details, please!!! Packaging? Liner notes? Sound quality?
    The packaging and liner notes are excellent. The booklets are not the same as those that came with the original CDs. Although they mimic the format, the new booklets actually contain essays and some annotations about the tracks. The packaging is standard jewel cases [[single and double.) I have not had time to listen yet. HIGH QUALITY ALL AROUND!

You guys are great salesmen too!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    So, I didn't order Silk Electric because I always hated the sound of that LP. I think it was mixed badly. Or was it mastered badly? I have no idea. This release says it is being re-mastered. Will that help the bad sound of the original? This is the only album of hers that I have trouble with regarding sound quality.
    I thought the sound was on par with "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". They were both recorded and mixed by Larry Alexander except, perhaps "So Close", which was probably recorded and mixed by Luther Vandross' engineer. I don't have the liner notes on hand. And, of course, mastering makes all the difference. I have no problem with "Silk Electric".

I haven't gotten any of the CDs yet, but I am interested in hearing how "Ross" was mastered. The album had three producers, were recorded in several different studios, and two of the songs "Up Front" and "Love Or Loneliness" were both recorded and mixed by Ray Parker Jr. at his own studio, with the vocals done at yet another studio with another engineer. The original LP had tape hiss on those two tracks. The last song was done by her own engineer, and and the rest of the album, including all of side one was recorded digitally. Bob Ludwig mastered the original LP.

I don't know who mastered this remaster, but, BMG/Legacy has an ace staff of engineers.

The packaging and liner notes are excellent. The booklets are not the same as those that came with the original CDs. Although they mimic the format, the new booklets actually contain essays and some annotations about the tracks. The packaging is standard jewel cases [[single and double.) I have not had time to listen yet. HIGH QUALITY ALL AROUND!
    Thanks for the report, longtimefan. Am I to assume you live outside the States, given your order's fulfillment?
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-29-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thanks for the report, longtimefan. Am I to assume you live outside the States, given your order's fulfillment?
    Nope, I live in the United States actually.

p.s. I have been listening over the weekend and the sound is excellent. I do not have the expertise to discuss the technical aspects of remastering, only my ears!

Nope, I live in the United States actually.

p.s. I have been listening over the weekend and the sound is excellent. I do not have the expertise to discuss the technical aspects of remastering, only my ears!
    Excellent! I continue to wait with bated breath for one of my local retailers to email me that they've arrived. I'm stateside as well. These releases will make my year!

I received all six reissues today and have been excitedly waiting for these. At the moment, I can only listen to them with iPod earbuds and will have to wait until I get home to make a final judgement on the sound quality, once I hear them on my stereo. I have only listened to Ross and so far, I am really liking the sound. For my ears, it's not too sharp or bass heavy. It seems to be superior to the Japanese 2005 version. The Japanese reissues sounded rather flat to me and you had to jack the volume all the way up to hear the music at a proper level. This doesn't seem to be the case with this new reissue. The inside of the booklet is a fold out booklet/leaflet. It's in colour, with liner notes. No extra photos. There's some chart history as well for different countries, as well as musician credits. The bonus tracks seem to have been transferred and restored from the original master tapes as well, as I know that with some reissues from other labels, sometimes these 12" and 7" versions tend to be needle drop transfers. This does not seem to be the case with these reissues.

One thing I did notice is the scans for the album art seem to differ in terms of quality. The cover of Silk Electric seems just a tad bit darker than the cover of the vinyl that I have. Although I know that contrast/brightness tends to differ between vinyl pressings in different countries, so it could just be the specific cover that was used for the scan. Same goes for the cover of the Red Hot Rhythm & Blues reissue. As a result, you can see some minor "scan hatching" in the image, in the shadow behind Diana on the RHR&B cover. Again, not a huge thing, but I noticed it and it may matter to some. For me, I'm glad to have the music with good sound quality.

I also like how some of the back covers have been re-constructed or changed altogether. I never liked the back cover of RHR&B because the print was too small on the LP and when it was scanned to the CD release in the 80's, it was hard to read. For these new reissues, a new back cover was made with a different image and artwork. It looks very nice.

That's all of my comments for now. Will post more later, time willing.

Thanks, Carlo. My three arrived [[Ross, Swept Away & Red Hot Rhythm & Blues) and I found the sound to be quite good on them all. I always thought the sound on Silk Electric was a bit off, maybe too bright, and didn't like it. I wonder if it is any better now. Also the sound on Eaten Alive was a bit muddy to my ears on original release. I wonder if that sounds a bit sharper now. I will say that I am very happy with these releases and love the extended versions, many of which I've never heard before.

My pleasure, thommg.

I'm going to do a sound quality comparison later.

I just opened Swept Away and RHR&B and they both have booklets with a few more pages and one or two extra graphics/photos from the original release and photo sessions. Just wanted to clarify, as I had noted above that Ross only had a fold out panel type of booklet.

I'm still eagerly awaiting for mine to arrive. They have a picture of the disc graphics on Funky Town Grooves Facebook page:

Here's a direct link to the picture:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...b357c1bf44800d

And here's the link to their Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Funkytowngrooves