[REMOVE ADS]

The supremes reunion: Motown 25 expanded

That's quite a tease! Does it go on longer? Only time will tell... Thanks for posting! [[of course not everyone did or even could come back, but that's another story...)

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    That's quite a tease! Does it go on longer? Only time will tell... Thanks for posting! [[of course not everyone did or even could come back, but that's another story...)
    Yes, dear...it is. It's also been beaten ad nauseum in another thread. Let's keep it that way!

Sorry, but I kinda gotta question about "Everybody coming back"; with the Motown 25 performance deal, Motown re-signed back Four Tops and Junior Walker, for just a little while. Mary Wells, whom also made her less-than-a-minute spot on the show, I heard there was a time around the peroid, she struggled for such another chance with the company, but company said "No". What's up with that?
    Last edited by Ngroove; 08-26-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Sorry, but I kinda gotta question about "Everybody coming back"; with the Motown 25 performance deal, Motown re-signed back Four Tops and Junior Walker, for just a little while. Mary Wells, whom also made her less-than-a-minute spot on the show, I heard there was a time around the peroid, she struggled for such another chance with the company, but company said "No". What's up with that?
    That is a good question. I mean, I know they must have held a grudge by Mary leaving at the time she did [[having a number one record for the label), but Diana Ross did the same thing and they let her come back after things didn't work out at RCA. Hmmmmm????

'

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    ...Diana Ross did the same thing and they let her come back after things didn't work out at RCA. Hmmmmm????
    By the time she "returned," hadn't Motown been absorbed by MCA/RCA, so in essence wasn't she not actually leaving the parent company to which she was signed? It might have just seemed like a good PR move on the surface to "re-install" her on the no-longer independent label with which she was so closely identified.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    By the time she "returned," hadn't Motown been absorbed by MCA/RCA, so in essence wasn't she not actually leaving the parent company to which she was signed?
    She left RCA for MCA. I think she had one song on the MCA imprint. With labels merging, MCA and Motown were part of the same company and Diana was moved to Motown. I recall her also becoming part owner of Motown at some point.

RCA became BMG which is now part of Sony. We are not too far away from having just one giant record company

It might have been Jheryl Busby's idea for Diana to move from MCA to Motown. In 1988, she released her one and only single on MCA, IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER. Her moving to Motown also helped fulfilled the partial minority ownership specified by Berry when he sold the company to MCA.
    Last edited by reese; 08-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.

There is one difference in this clip than the aired show; when Diana gives Berry a "fist up" the clip above has cut out the next shot where Berry holds his fists up and then releases them in return...you can see the aired version below:

I remember reading [[in Nelson George's book?) about how the author thought that showed how BG was saying he'd let her go/released Diana Ross from the Motown grip [[or something like that). Let's not forget this special came after Diana left the label so there must have been a lot of tension and bitterness in the air between her and BG; I always thought that accounted for a lot of Diana's reportedly erratic behavior that night. Regardless, why edit Berry's response out of that clip?
    Last edited by ejluther; 08-27-2014 at 02:00 PM.

And check out this Motown 25 ad where they tease us with "a moment too hot to reveal"!?! They must be teasing the Diana & Mary stuff, right? That doesn't mean that's what the "moment" actually is [[the way it's edited makes me think it's something about MJ), but the Supremes reunion is certainly the first thing I thought of...
    Last edited by ejluther; 08-27-2014 at 01:54 PM.

I would have been nice to see others, like Diana, Mary or Martha interviewed for this release. I see the men are covered [[Otis, Duke and Smoke), but where are the ladies, besides Claudette?

I'm sure that the "too hot moment" [[since it wasn't shown in this clip) is MJ's Moonwalk to "Billie Jean". Funny how the highlight of Motown 25 wasn't even a Motown song.....

There is one difference in this clip than the aired show; when Diana gives Berry a "fist up" the clip above has cut out the next shot where Berry holds his fists up and then releases them in return...you can see the aired version below:

I remember reading [[in Nelson George's book?) about how the author thought that showed how BG was saying he'd let her go/released Diana Ross from the Motown grip [[or something like that). Let's not forget this special came after Diana left the label so there must have been a lot of tension and bitterness in the air between her and BG; I always thought that accounted for a lot of Diana's reportedly erratic behavior that night. Regardless, why edit Berry's response out of that clip?
    I always wondered what Diana said after "And tonight everyone came back." She's starting another sentence: "And......", but then it's edited.

And since I'm asking, I've always wanted to know, after watching this about 1000 times over the years:

1) Is that Morgan Fairchild in the green dress at 2:08?
    2) At 7:50-ish, is that Smokey saying "I think that they'd really like that?"
    3) At 8:01, does Berry drop the F-bomb?
    4) Who is the woman's voice singing "We'll be together" at 8:23? To me it sounds like Dionne Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And since I'm asking, I've always wanted to know, after watching this about 1000 times over the years:

1) Is that Morgan Fairchild in the green dress at 2:08?
    2) At 7:50-ish, is that Smokey saying "I think that they'd really like that?"
    3) At 8:01, does Berry drop the F-bomb?
    4) Who is the woman's voice singing "We'll be together" at 8:23? To me it sounds like Dionne Warwick.
    1) Shannon Tweed, Playboy Playmate [[standing next to Hugh Hefner)
    2) I think its Smokey talking, but I can't tell what he's saying.
    3) I don't see Berry's lips moving.
    4) Martha Reeves.

The show itself probably went through several different edits before it went to air. The shot of Berry with his hand motion might have not been available at the time. Some of these original edits might still survive, and could be what was used when making the Buz Kohan clip. If you look at the footage shown of Diana while Buz is speaking, she is singing AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. But it is shown from a different angle that what was broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I would have been nice to see others, like Diana, Mary or Martha interviewed for this release. I see the men are covered [[Otis, Duke and Smoke), but where are the ladies, besides Claudette?

I'm sure that the "too hot moment" [[since it wasn't shown in this clip) is MJ's Moonwalk to "Billie Jean". Funny how the highlight of Motown 25 wasn't even a Motown song.....
    Martha is listed on one of the dvds as being interviewed. That means, aside from the Supremes and High Inergy, all of the Motown ladies who performed on the broadcast and are still with us are interviewed.

It would be nice to see a new Diana interview, but MOTOWN 25 is probably not a favorite memory of hers. I would think Mary would agree to an interview if she was asked, but maybe she wasn't. Cindy is ill. Barbara Mitchell of High Inergy might have some interesting thoughts about being a "newbie" amongst all the legends.
    Last edited by reese; 08-28-2014 at 09:29 AM.

as if they would include "that" as the moment too hot to reveal..honestly

It would have been cool to include the Supremes rehearsal like they did with Marvin. The rehearsal footage was probably better than the actual performance of "Someday".

This and all the Ross RCA CD's and Smokey's Duet album make for a great Motown fall!

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    as if they would include "that" as the moment too hot to reveal..honestly
    Well, it did get a lot of press attention and Mary chose to open her best-selling book with it so it's not like it's that unthinkable. Having said that, I don't think that's what it will turn out to be. But, if it's not, what do people think it is? [[Yes, I realize it's quite possibly nothing but trumped up marketing to sell DVDs but it's fun to think about nonetheless...)

Well, it did get a lot of press attention and Mary chose to open her best-selling book with it so it's not like it's that unthinkable. Having said that, I don't think that's what it will turn out to be. But, if it's not, what do people think it is? [[Yes, I realize it's quite possibly nothing but trumped up marketing to sell DVDs but it's fun to think about nonetheless...)
    It is a teaser to get folks to buy the DVD only to find that the part of Diana Ross shoving Mary Wilson onstage is not included, but by then it is too late and they expect you to keep the DVD package anyway.

LadyLola Guest
    This reminds me, I need to renew my dog's tags.

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is a teaser to get folks to buy the DVD only to find that the part of Diana Ross shoving Mary Wilson onstage is not included, but by then it is too late and they expect you to keep the DVD package anyway.
    My guess is that DePass woman has that footage locked 200 feet below in vault guarded by bats.

just get over it..........

supremester Guest
    I think it would be great to show the shove - IF they included the backstory and what led up to it. On it's own, it looks very bad for Ross. Add the cocaine, flu, red dress, broken promises and faked sound check levels - culminating with Mary being banned for life from any DePasse/Motown Entertainment Productions. Miss Ross would then be applauded for her restraint and the DVD would go double platinum LOL

Lulu Guest
    just get over it..........
    Honey, they never will. Maybe someday, someone will actually build a time machine and change the course of history at Motown: Shorty Long will have owned the company, Georgeanna Tillman will have discovered the Jackson 5, and Bettye LaVette will be signed and reign "supreme" as the label's most successful artist and a global superstar & actress.

And SDF? Well, it simply would cease to exist!
    Last edited by Lulu; 08-30-2014 at 07:58 PM.

that made my day Lulu x

Lulu Guest
    that made my day Lulu x
    Well, it's true...unfortunately. The time machine analogy has been popping up a lot online lately especially since Motown The Musical and M25...

Totally agree Marv and I aint buying it. Do we know if Syreeta and Ashford and Simpson performances are on it? Its interesting to not how well this thread was going repsecting the new guidelines until the you know whos started. Keep an eye keep an eye on who they are. It's also fascinating how Ms DePasse freaked out at Motown 25 and now seems to be using the trumoil to sell dvds!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Totally agree Marv and I aint buying it. Do we know if Syreeta and Ashford and Simpson performances are on it? Its interesting to not how well this thread was going repsecting the new guidelines until the you know whos started. Keep an eye keep an eye on who they are. It's also fascinating how Ms DePasse freaked out at Motown 25 and now seems to be using the trumoil to sell dvds!
    I am SOOOOO..... not buying it. I am not going to be a hypocrite! NEXT!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-01-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Last time I checked, the guidelines were put in place to avoid attacks on individual Motown personalities and/or forum members. So far, all I can see are slights/attacks at Ross and DePasse and clearly not by the "you know whos" you seem to be referencing. In another DR-related forum, one of your pals thought it was appropriate to insinuate that the new Mrs. Ross traded sexual favors for her recent nuptials...classy. Lastly, a suggestion: you'd make your point clearer if your spelling was correct. You may want to edit your spellings of "respecting" and "turmoil".

L
    Last edited by Lulu; 09-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Just seeing this thread I knew it would go south. Please let's keep it civilized.

Like most folks here, I already bought mine and can't wait to get it..the MOTOWN 25 product is the property of Time/Life..StarVista who made no commitment to any charities, so good luck with that...Can't wait till they acquire "TCB" and "GIT"
    ....like most folks here..

Lulu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    Like most folks here, I already bought mine and can't wait to get it..the MOTOWN 25 product is the property of Time/Life..StarVista who made no commitment to any charities, so good luck with that...Can't wait till they acquire "TCB" and "GIT"
    ....like most folks here..
    Like most folks here, I've ordered mine as well! My favorite stars Diana, Smokey, Marvin and of course Michael are awesome and I thank Miss Suzanne DePasse for doing a yeoman's job by getting this thing going! She is such an inspiration!

LadyLola Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    Like most folks here, I've ordered mine as well! My favorite stars Diana, Smokey, Marvin and of course Michael are awesome and I thank Miss Suzanne DePasse for doing a yeoman's job by getting this thing going! She is such an inspiration!
    Pat yourself on the back sweetie.

If it is any consolation, mary and cindy did do a clip at the podium when the show aired talking about florence ballard i I think mary wore the same dress she wore when she sang youu danced my heart around the stars a few yrs earlier. It was of course edited from the show and im sure the clip never see the lite of day not if depasse, or gordy has anything to say about it.

Why would Gordy and Depasse not want it seen?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Why would Gordy and Depasse not want it seen?
    ; because florence ballard is being praised by wilson and birdsong, and it was cut from the 1983 airing. If it is in the new dvd release I will be surprised and elated .

there are things such as priorities based on 'time'...
    if Gordy didn't want the 'Ballard' moment, Wilson and Birdsong would have never gotten near the podium in the first place..
    they didn't just wander in and say 'let's start talking about Flo',it was obviously scheduled initially, and nothing makes it to the podium without prior [[or Pryor) approval
    ..so, as Ralph is now expertly and wisely administering, please don't try to start another 'hair pulling' event over 'nothing' ...not a good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    there are things such as priorities based on 'time'...
    if Gordy didn't want the 'Ballard' moment, Wilson and Birdsong would have never gotten near the podium in the first place..
    they didn't just wander in and say 'let's start talking about Flo',it was obviously scheduled initially, and nothing makes it to the podium without prior [[or Pryor) approval
    ..so, as Ralph is now expertly and wisely administering, please don't try to start another 'hair pulling' event over 'nothing' ...not a good idea..
    I am not starting anything, it is possible the segment was edited out due to time restraints, or other reasons which we do not know, we all know gordy was not a ballard fan and if this segment is included I will gracefully acknowledge all those who included it in the new release. I think those who scheduled mary and cindy to include a moment in time where flo got her moment as part of the supremes was pivitol to the audience but even more historic if it makes the dvd which makes a moment forever frozen digitally.
    Last edited by franjoy56; 09-02-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: omited words

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    ; because florence ballard is being praised by wilson and birdsong, and it was cut from the 1983 airing. If it is in the new dvd release I will be surprised and elated .
    It wasnt scripted and it wasnt supposed to be part of the show so mary ad lib the tribute to Flo so its real unlikely it will be part of the new DVD thats coming out imo.

Roberta

As we are all entitled to our opinion, I'll state mine. I see things a little differently.
    I think that Berry Gordy was always a fan of Florence Ballard- the singer/entertainer. Were he not, he would not have signed the 4 Primettes/Supremes to his label. He would not have allowed Flo ANY leads or significant background parts/stage patter during her time as a Supreme. He knew that all 4, [[then 3) Supremes were talented.
    He also realized that some were more driven than others by a work ethic like unto his own and that some were better at following direction.
    What Berry Gordy was not a fan of were unannounced absences from scheduled performances and recordings, an apparent lack of self-control, misguided jealousy , and a belligerent attitude.

The Mary & Cindy segment was most likely cut due to time. Nothing controversial was stated. Mary gave a nod to those no longer around [[Flo, Paul Williams, Mom & Pop Gordy), but then her and Cindy went right into talking about the songwriters of Motown. Simple as that.

Before i comment, i would like to say that i am so pleased that Diana and Mary have each come through their individual trials and tribulations and are happy and healthy in 2014. I agree, Florence did indeed have her demons, but it can't have been easy watching all the attention Gordy lavished on Diana, even if she was the key to their stardom. I don't think you would be human not to feel a little resentful. For me it's not what was done, but the way it was done that lead to a lot of Florences admittedly unprofessional behaviour being shown.

Ollie u said it all. Flo as well as t others were equalky important. Mary thank u for remembering florence ballard to t live audience her ccontributions to t supremes were enormous

It amazes me how much a subject can be raked over. Everyone seems to have voiced their opinions, so why not drop the subject for now. I plan on deleting it shortly.

supremester Guest
    And it's an entertainment special, so going over the many tragic deaths might have been seen as a downer. I would have cut it as well, not out of disrespect, but to win an Emmy & the time slot [[which was the reason for the special - $$$.) Happily, Flo was featured in many clips. I'm sure it will be on the DVD if it still exists. Maybe they'll run Miss Ross' original Missing You video featuring Flo & Paul & Marvin.

PS: Without question, I am the most important Supreme.