[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I also forget when it was announced that Diana was leaving the Supremes; if she was still recording as a Supreme in the summer of 1969, is it possible there could have been enough material for another album AFTER "Cream of the Crop"?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I also forget when it was announced that Diana was leaving the Supremes; if she was still recording as a Supreme in the summer of 1969, is it possible there could have been enough material for another album AFTER "Cream of the Crop"?
    I don't think the official announcement of Diana's departure was made until November 1969.

It's very possible Johnny Bristol used the same vocalists from "Someday We'll Be Together" on "These Things." Although there are an army of women who claim to have sung on the song. Merry Clayton remembers Johnny Bristol wanting her to sing the soprano part on "Someday," so it's possible he used the same West Coast vocalists as before. The recording dates for "These Things..."
    Track cut November 5, 1969 - assigned to the Supremes.
    Demo vocal cut November 8, 1969
    Reassigned to Diana Ross.
    Additional instrumental & background vocals cut January 5, 1970
    Lead vocal: Unknown

We know around the summer of 1969 Diana was adding vocals to "Canadian Sunset," "Autumn Leaves," "The Look Of Love," etc. Not sure where they could have ever fit those tracks onto an album or if there was enough tracks after Cream Of The Crop. By the time it was released, I'm sure Diana was working on her solo material and any Supremes tracks were geared toward Jean. There are also the sessions Diana did with Bones Howe. I believe she was working with him before she started working with Ashford & Simpson.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 08-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    There are also the sessions Diana did with Bones Howe. I believe she was working with him before she started working with Ashford & Simpson.
    Was Bones involved in Diana's recording of "Time and Love"? Wasn't that pre-Ashford and Simpson?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Was Bones involved in Diana's recording of "Time and Love"? Wasn't that pre-Ashford and Simpson?
    Yep, that was a Bones Howe production. He produced four songs for her. "Time And Love," "The Interim," "Stoney End," and "Love's Lines, Angles And Rhymes." He also recorded "Ooo Baby Baby" and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," but Diana didn't put down her vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Yep, that was a Bones Howe production. He produced four songs for her. "Time And Love," "The Interim," "Stoney End," and "Love's Lines, Angles And Rhymes." He also recorded "Ooo Baby Baby" and "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," but Diana didn't put down her vocals.
    Funny that both "Time and Love" and "L L, A & R" were later recycled by Bones for the 5th Dimension's "L L, A & R" Lp from 1971, and "Time and Love" and "Stoney End" were produced by Richard Perry for Babs "Stoney End" LP, also from 1971. Diana would have been ahead of the game had she released these in 1970.